• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Bother With Polls?

47 posts in this topic

SO - my question sans poll is:

Why Bother With Polls?

Good question. I rarely even visit this section of the forum and it's even more rare that I vote. On the few occasions I have voted it's only so I can see the results. I'm usually more interested in what people have to actually say about a topic then just seeing numbers indicating one view point or another.

• Administrator

What you need to understand is that most methods of polling via an online system are flawed by the abiliity to cheat. There are only so many ways you can verify the identity of a person voting.

IP address? You can spoof a new one.

Cookies? You can edit those on your machine.

One vote per account? Sign up some shills.

Stop the shills? You can require paid email addresses, but there's always some new free email provider you didn't know about.

About the only thing that might really work would be a one-vote-per-account system where you had to pay a substantial enough fee for the account that "cheating" would be too expensive to bother.

So while trying to limit re-voting is worth some attention, it's by nature a pretty flawed process in this kind of environment and will never really become a clean collector of information.

Know what would help a lot? Having the polls reflect the User ID. I mean, it isn;t like we are voting in a room with eleven of our peers over the fate of an alleged criminal!

Or would be nice if the software had two types of polls: anonymous as they are now and with the username's votes somehow compiled for us to see.

Know what would help a lot? Having the polls reflect the User ID. I mean, it isn;t like we are voting in a room with eleven of our peers over the fate of an alleged criminal!

Or would be nice if the software had two types of polls: anonymous as they are now and with the username's votes somehow compiled for us to see.

Oops. I wrote about this upstairs. Well, there you go.

Oops. I wrote about this upstairs. Well, there you go.

FMTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep making polls like that and you might lose your right too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif maybe i made to many polls with the last option of "who cares i'd rather smoke crack!" but that option got votes. blush.gif27_laughing.gif

Lotta crack smokers on these boards. crazy.gif

But did we need a poll to tell us that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

keep making polls like that and you might lose your right too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif maybe i made to many polls with the last option of "who cares i'd rather smoke crack!" but that option got votes. blush.gif27_laughing.gif

But did we need a poll to tell us that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess it was all a bit self-evident. devil.gif

Hey if you look at the start of this thread I PUT THAT OPTION THERE FOR YOU! Hope you used it! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif.

Lotta crack smokers buy high grade CGC books. 27_laughing.gif

Exactly!!

Btw, what about the Spurs, eh? That's four (count 'em) games on the spin!! Huzzah for Defoe!!!

Exactly!!

Btw, what about the Spurs, eh? That's four (count 'em) games on the spin!! Huzzah for Defoe!!!

A great result for sure. Let's hope they hang on to Defoe in the Jan transfer window. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif