• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So In Fact NOBODY Yet Has A Complete DC Collection - NOBODY !!!!!!

159 posts in this topic

Anyone know much about these books? They were my dads, sitting up in the attic stacked on top of eachother, so I grabbed them and put them in bags. A bunch of Action, Supes, Lois Lanes, and Superboys too, but nothing in great condition.

06_1_b.JPG

Issue #191

fc_1_b.JPG

The best book out of the bunch I got is probably a Gold Key Star Trek #61, which may have been the last original Star Trek comic published.

Besides which, it never was a race.

The fact you started this post makes me seriously doubt your sincerity in regards to this comment...

Me too. He claims it's never been a race, but he was so thrilled to learn that no one has crossed the proverbial finish line ahead of him, he had to start a topic just to share that fact with everyone???? Methinks thou dost protest too much, Mr. Levine.

Besides which, it never was a race.

The fact you started this post makes me seriously doubt your sincerity in regards to this comment...

Me too. He claims it's never been a race, but he was so thrilled to learn that no one has crossed the proverbial finish line ahead of him, he had to start a topic just to share that fact with everyone???? Methinks thou dost protest too much, Mr. Levine.

Obviously someone that's this obsessed with having a complete DC collection wants to be the first one to cross the finish line. I know I would, if I had spent that much time and money putting it together. But pretending like it doesn't matter, is insulting to everybody's intelligence, including Ian's.

But there hasn't been an interesting new thread for weeks.

And the fact that I discovered a new Golden Age DC that no-one had previously put two and two together, and realised that back in 1942 there was NO E.C. yet, and M.C. Gaines was running All American, which together with Detective Comics actually made the foundation stone of DC.

I found it MOST riveting.

And the fact that both Christine and I therefore still each need one comic to complete, makes it far far more interesting.

Because I can assure you that BOTH final comics are seriously rare.

Remember she had also never heard of the Fat And Slat Joke Book either, and that too was an All American.

Somehow I don't think she'll find a copy of Narrative Illustration QUITE as easily as she picked up the other one.

And the fact that I discovered a new Golden Age DC that no-one had previously put two and two together, and realised that back in 1942 there was NO E.C. yet, and M.C. Gaines was running All American, which together with Detective Comics actually made the foundation stone of DC.

And the fact that both Christine and I therefore still each need one comic to complete, makes it far far more interesting.

Remember she had also never heard of the Fat And Slat Joke Book either, and that too was an All American.

Somehow I don't think she'll find a copy of Narrative Illustration QUITE as easily as she picked up the other one.

sleeping.gif

Obviously someone that's this obsessed with having a complete DC collection wants to be the first one to cross the finish line. I know I would, if I had spent that much time and money putting it together. But pretending like it doesn't matter, is insulting to everybody's intelligence, including Ian's.

It might be fun to be the first, but at the end of the day, thirty years ago when I decided to attempt to collect every DC, I never dreamed I would achieve it (and remember I still haven't yet), and it was never a race. I just wanted to collect them all.

I just thought that the tacky press release a few months ago was cheap and cheesy, and that is why I have smiled at the thought of how premature and how inaccurate it was.

sleeping.gif

It's open season. SIC'EM, BOY! GO GETTIM!

It might be fun to be the first, but at the end of the day, thirty years ago when I decided to attempt to collect every DC, I never dreamed I would achieve it (and remember I still haven't yet), and it was never a race. I just wanted to collect them all.

I just thought that the tacky press release a few months ago was cheap and cheesy, and that is why I have smiled at the thought of how premature and how inaccurate it was.

Maybe nobody really cares but you. So what if she did or did not complete her collection. You say it isn't a race, yet you make a point of clarifying that she hasn't finished.

Just because there is nothing of interest to you on the boards doesn't mean that there isn't stuff that is of interest to the rest of us. You would do better not posting any more based upon how stupid you sound in this thread.

You are not even a typical comic collector, as you carre nothing about the hobby or anything related to it. You only care for yourself and your collection. That kind of self-centeredness is appalling, and I hope you never get a hold of that last issue.

27_laughing.gif

I agree with you, I'd want to be the first, too. But if you want to be the first and it IS a race, admit it to yourself and everyone else. Don't try to act like it's not a big deal to you if it is a big deal. Don't say it's not but still be smug when someone else who has claimed to cross the finish line **supposedly** hasn't.

I have nothing against you or your quest personally, Ian, and I hope that you're able to find that last issue...but since you're talking about how nothing has interested you lately...I have to be honest, I haven't missed these topics.

Not to be provocative( yes, I used a dictionary on that word), here Ian,but what of the "day after " your quest is done.

What will be next?? Is the "hunt" over or is there another collecting obsession to keep you going. I for one would

like to see you finish this quest successfully , and hope it will happen soon.

hey,Ian

I was bidding on that book as well.Figured you'd pay a kings ransom for it,after you got your NA26.Glad it found a good home.I must tell you,though,its not as rare as you think. The book you now have(assuming you got it from the ebay auction last week)is at least the fourth known copy. As I mentioned in the marketplace,I passed on a copy years ago,and it is in a friends collection.Its certainly

rare,only not as rare as OS states.Will you get it restored?

You could return to the seller of the NA26 and negotiate a cheaper price, either yourself or through an intermediary. I imagine the seller would be receptive to still soaking you for an amount less than 15,000. Then you could hold a board sale offering some duplicates of your better material (or downgrade to free up some of the more expensive books, I think you mentioned you have at least a couple pedigree and/or CGC books) to raise/cover the funds spent on the NA26.

This way, you've got the book; you have your full set before anyone else; you cover the cost of the NA26 without having a stroke.

Or you can cut out the middle man and offer the seller $15,000 in trade value for the NA26, or is trade value not an option?

I found a super rare (only three known copies) Golden Age DC that no-one realised was a DC....

"Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics" by M.C. Gaines, from 1942, and distributed by All American, which of course was part of DC, and also containing an otherwise unavailable segment of Picture Stories From The Bible, which of course started out also as a DC.

It is listed in Overstreet as only two known copies, but now I got the third copy.

And dear old Christine Farrell hasn't got THAT one, so her collection isn't complete after all.

Which means both she and I need one DC to complete our collections of EVERY DC ever actually released.

So NOBODY in the whole wide world has a complete set, despite those erroneous claims in Gemstones newsletter.

WHAT AN AMAZING TWIST OF FATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian, you are referring to an E.C. comic not a D.C. comic!

http://cgccomics.com/poplookup/searchres...&imageField.y=0

BTW, Narrative Illustration is a pamphlet reprint book as the interior was published previously in another book,

I found a super rare (only three known copies) Golden Age DC that no-one realised was a DC....

"Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics" by M.C. Gaines, from 1942, and distributed by All American, which of course was part of DC, and also containing an otherwise unavailable segment of Picture Stories From The Bible, which of course started out also as a DC.

It is listed in Overstreet as only two known copies, but now I got the third copy.

And dear old Christine Farrell hasn't got THAT one, so her collection isn't complete after all.

Which means both she and I need one DC to complete our collections of EVERY DC ever actually released.

So NOBODY in the whole wide world has a complete set, despite those erroneous claims in Gemstones newsletter.

BTW, Narrative Illustration is a pamphlet reprint book as the interior was published previously in another book,

I just laughed Fritos™ out my nose. Normally, this would not be such an awful thing, but they were the chili-cheese kind! I'm calling 911.

Fritos™ ...the chili-cheese kind!

cloud9.gif

Ian...wouldn't it be cheaper for you and the other lady to just get married... seems logical to me...

You'll have more D.C.s then you know what to do with and you will both be equal in the record books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fritos™ ...the chili-cheese kind!

cloud9.gif

I'm on an all-orange-food diet.