• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So In Fact NOBODY Yet Has A Complete DC Collection - NOBODY !!!!!!

159 posts in this topic

I don't collect golden Age books,but the art looks much more refined than any pre-1940 book I've seen.I was quite surprised by this book when I opened the link.Perhaps some of our Detective friends can get to work on this one,in between their other investigations. I'd love to see how Heritage dated this book.

I also notice that the art is signed by Saul Kessler who was at DC in the mid 1940's. Further info / research into Saul's career might help with dating the comic.

Regarsd Earl.

The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it's late 1940s.

In fact, there's an Animated Comics from 1947 from EC up on e-Bay right now, that actually looks older than this one.

Prowling the web, I found this AA-EC page .

While it doesn't list Desert Dawn, looking at Gaines' publishing history, it seems unlikely that Desert Dawn is from 1935 - where did Heritage come up with 1935?

The Max Gaines site is pretty cool - but I have a question for Ian - is the booklet "How To Defend Your Home", published by Gaines in 1942, a comic-book or just an illustrated manual. According to the ad on the back of Sensation #4 it was "on sale eveywhere" so it was definetly a newstand publication.

Dawg

I think we agree that no-one can know for a fact whether they have a complete DC Collection....indeed the definition of such a list would be probably only known by the publishers themselves.

Ian has always talked about the complete DC Collection (look at his first post in this thread, and any earlier one, for that matter) so this idea about 'every known DC' just doesn't apply.

The use of the word 'world' was of course meant to mean 'those in the comic world who even care about such an achievement'. Clearly a 'complete DC Collection' does have a meaning to them. There are a few of them on this board (not surprisingly) and about as many here who don't care and find it tiresome that Ian wishes to spread the word of how close he is to his target.

My post was intended to put into perspective the problem with any difficult target that is not fully defined. The law of diminishing returns means that it is very easy to prove that something isn't achieved rather than the converse.

I applaud Ian for his efforts and see no reason why he shouldn't talk about it here because this is a Message Board about Comics. It certainly won't be me that will find that 'extra DC' that will spoil the party when NA # 26 is finally in his possession.

Yeah I think that it is great that Ian is doing what he wants to do. Good for him. I also dont think that there was ever even disagreement between us. I just think that the point is painfully obvious. Another point to make is that I doubt that even the publishers would know exactly what books were published by DC since I am sure that plenty of records have been lost to the years. As for the "known DC" thing, that is how I have always viewed Ian quest.

holla...

(this is all just a way to bump my post count...lol)

Is the booklet "How To Defend Your Home", published by Gaines in 1942, a comic-book or just an illustrated manual. According to the ad on the back of Sensation #4 it was "on sale eveywhere" so it was definetly a newstand publication.

I've never heard of it before.

Here's a link .

Utterly utterly fascinating.

I obviously need it, although as it's an information pamphlet I would tend to lump it with the promotional and giveaway stuff even though it has a price on it, but nevertheless I still want to find one.

Anyone got any idea how I can get it ???? It's clearly All-American which means it's clearly DC.

No one will have a complete DC collection until they pry this book from my mitts...bwahahahaahah

Now what the hell is THIS ????????????????

It's one of those anti-commie books. In the GA Forum there is a thread about these. I know they mention this book specifically. Check there. thumbsup2.gif

What I want to know is: Where in God's name would someone store an entire, complete DC collection???? I have a hard enough time as it is finding room for my 5 short boxes that consists of my entire comic collection.

I really am curious 27_laughing.gif

What I want to know is: Where in God's name would someone store an entire, complete DC collection???? I have a hard enough time as it is finding room for my 5 short boxes that consists of my entire comic collection.

Ages ago, Gary Cove (Capercaillie) posted up pics on here of the shelves. I have a huge room shelved out with aisles like a library.