• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's your fav artist & writer?

27 posts in this topic

David Mack and David Mack.

David Mack?? Anyone could do his kind of art. Just scribble alot and put in trippy phrases in crayon like "The world is crying, I am sad."

My picks:

Writer- Brian K. Vaughn

Artist- Jim Lee and Steve Dillon

To narrow it down to a manageable sampling I'm only working off of the stuff that I'm picking up at my LCS on a weekly basis right now. No, lifetime achievment awards.

Writer: Alejandro Jodorowsky (it's "new to me.") Since he's translated he may not be the "best" writer I read regularly, but no one else produces more creative, vibrant books. Every page or two, something outlandish, strange, revolting, ugly or beautfiul pops up and catches me. He's a complete lunatic.

Runners up: Ellis, Millar, Brubaker, BKV, Grant Morrison.

Artist : John Cassaday. Cassaday is already on my all-time list. The best thing about him, for me, is that he finishes his own stuff so well. The variety of texture he lays down and the quality of his line would rank him as one of my favorite current INKERS, the idea that he's the guy behind the layout, design and pencils is mind-boggling. He's also a damned fine cover artist.

Runners Up: Maleev, Hitch, Quitely, JRJR.

All Time? That's impossible.

Add another for Cassaday. Those Astonishing covers are damn cool.

Writer, Peter David pops to mind. Warren Ellis. Frank Miller. And after reading the first Astonishing arc this weekend, Wheadon.

Alan Moore is hit and miss with me. Some of his stuff is too esoteric (Promethea) and some just not interesting/fun enough (Tom Strong). Frank

I may be odd man out on this one, but I really don't focus much on who the writer/artist is/was on a particular book. I know the bigger recent names from reading message boards, and I know some of the older names from Comic Zone Radio, message boards, and reading about comic history.

IMO, one of the wrong turns the comic industry took in the 90's was the focus on things creator-driven instead of character-driven. For example, I love Byrne's FF run because I love the FF. But I wasn't about to break off and start collecting "Next Men" just because it was Byrne.

I collect the FF, not Byrne. My personal tastes and collection are character-driven and not creator-driven. Like I said, I seem to be "odd-man out" on this one with all the focus on who's writing/drawing what, but I just tend to base it more on the characters than the creators, if that makes sense.