• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESULTS: CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 2

35 posts in this topic

PS...I know that's not common usage anymore, but 1.5 to 1.8 (or any other interval) isn't really "one grade", per se, but just "one interval."

A grade off would be "it's graded Good (2.0) and you graded it VG (4.0)"

Ya know...technically. ;)

It's amazing how far we've come, that we debate 1/4 grades and single intervals.

The 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, and 9.1 additions are not too far ahead, now.

PS...I know that's not common usage anymore, but 1.5 to 1.8 (or any other interval) isn't really "one grade", per se, but just "one interval."

It's amazing how far we've come, that we debate 1/4 grades and single intervals.

:ohnoez:

I wouldn't mind a 3rd party grading system that had those 'tweener' grades. Sometimes there is a book that's nicer than a 9.2 but not as nice as a 9.4. (shrug)

I wouldn't mind a 3rd party grading system that had those 'tweener' grades. Sometimes there is a book that's nicer than a 9.2 but not as nice as a 9.4. (shrug)

+1

+1

:facepalm:

We could have some good fights over those grades. "That's a 9.1 everyday of the week:, "No, it's definitely a 9.0" are you kidding me, that's 9.2" :grin:

+1

Welcome to the 21st century, rjpb.

No less than Borock himself has stated (paraphrased) "I wish I had a 9.7 grade to give, as I've encountered it fairly often."

Coins utilize every number between 60 and 70, AND now have things like "+" and "secure" for just that little extra bit of "oomph."

I truly don't understand why you guys fight it so vehemently. It makes no sense to do that, especially given the realities of the market.

And there are literally thousands and thousands of books that are unfairly hammered in a 9.6 slab, but aren't quite nice enough for a 9.8. Books with, say, a single CB spine stress mark, and a very, very slightly rounded upper right corner.

Sounds better than a 9.6, but automatically disqualified from a 9.8 (usually.)

That's 9.7 all day long. And if a 9.6 is worth $1,000, and a 9.8 is worth $4,000, a 9.7 will fit right in at $2,500.

It's only a matter of time and inevitability.

+1

Welcome to the 21st century, rjpb.

No less than Borock himself has stated (paraphrased) "I wish I had a 9.7 grade to give, as I've encountered it fairly often."

Coins utilize every number between 60 and 70, AND now have things like "+" and "secure" for just that little extra bit of "oomph."

I truly don't understand why you guys fight it so vehemently. It makes no sense to do that, especially given the realities of the market.

I think it's pretty crazy that coins have 11 "mint state" grades, and I have no doubt that resubmissions are a complete roll of the dice with coin grading companies, and it seems coins would be easier to grade as they are less fragile, have more consistent production quality, and there is no interior to account for.

I know there are submitters who are pretty good at self-screening moderns for 9.8 or better, though one wonders how many books that just fell short would have ended up in a 9.8 slab anyway. I've yet to see someone claim they can self-screen for 9.9s or 10s. If anyone can show me even an 80% consistency rate of matching the previous grade when resubmitting 9.6 and 9.8 books without pressing, then I might consider the viability of 9.7 as a grade. It makes about as much sense as slipping X.2 and X.8 grades in between every X.5 and X.0 grade currently used. I'm sure Borock and everyone else who has ever graded a book has been on the fence about at least one set of grade increments between 2.0 and 9.0. We might as well bring back the 100 point system - at least with that, there might be less paying of huge multiples for a marginal, if not arbitrary, grade difference of a point or two. Or maybe not.

My grades were 1.8 and 8.5 (leaning towards 9.0.) I think the Spidey #129 is a little undergraded.
Too much color loss on the ASM. to grade higher than an 8.0