• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Frank Miller historians in the house?

17 posts in this topic

Hey fellow boardies! I need your help...

I recently came across a very rare self-published comic book from 1976/1977. The book features a then unknown artist by the name of Frank Miller :headbang:

027D6153-D46D-4FA7-8430-6503D051ADDB_zpsqiegl6zd.jpg

An interior splash page:

30E5578B-5389-45A5-8529-EE7219D16149_zpswjqv0xog.jpg

I know Frank's first "published" work was in 1978 with The Twilight Zone, which means this little comic pre-dates that hm

The book appears to be a collaboration between some comic artist hopefuls, there's several short stories inside of it, with Frank Miller's work on the cover. Does anyone have any information at all about this book? Is it desirable to a Miller collector? Is this his first known printed cover art? I haven't been able to find any information on it at all on the internet, but I know it was sold at an old record shop in Michigan in 1977.

I have a few more pics if anyone takes a serious interest in investigating this, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the help!

I think he was a member of an APA. I've seen an issue where he has the sai/dagger/whatever going into someone and the clothes bulging at the back without the weapon coming through, as he did in DD. So he was doing innovative art from before his pro debut, for sure.

I think he was a member of an APA. I've seen an issue where he has the sai/dagger/whatever going into someone and the clothes bulging at the back without the weapon coming through, as he did in DD. So he was doing innovative art from before his pro debut, for sure.

That's really awesome! Thanks for sharing. I can't seem to find any information on this book at all. I have checked the Alternative 1-7, and #7 seems to be the only one with Miller's art. I'd like to think this is a cool piece, but I have no idea lol

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I am usually looking for the APA he was part of on eBay when I can. enjolrasworld has a great bibliography on him and here is what they say about the APA:

"4/72 APA-5 #8-? (Amateur Press Association fanzine distributed to

members only (the group was limited to 25 members). Miller was

a frequent contributor, including the strip Call It Karma which

featured early versions of characters with names like “the

Fixer” and “Electra” [APA-5]{4/28/72-?} Note: 8.5x11 format)"

Twilight Zone #84 is his first pro-work listed.

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I am usually looking for the APA he was part of on eBay when I can. enjolrasworld has a great bibliography on him and here is what they say about the APA:

"4/72 APA-5 #8-? (Amateur Press Association fanzine distributed to

members only (the group was limited to 25 members). Miller was

a frequent contributor, including the strip Call It Karma which

featured early versions of characters with names like “the

Fixer” and “Electra” [APA-5]{4/28/72-?} Note: 8.5x11 format)"

Twilight Zone #84 is his first pro-work listed.

That's really interesting, thanks! Looks like we've found something to put in that gap between '72 and '78.

I'm still on the hunt to find out if this is his first printed cover art, I think that would be so freaking cool.

A lot of knowledgable Miller fans here, hopefully someone knows... I just put it on Facebook to see if anyone has any info... Very cool book!

Thanks Chuck, let me know if you hear anything! :applause:

Most excellent indeed. Never seen that one before.

Looks like Miller used Patrick McGoohan (from The Prisoner) as reference for the main figure on the cover.

Nice eye, I didn't think about that. It's a cool little book.

That is a pretty great find. If you decide to move it, let me know. I love Miller but my brother is a huge fan and he nor I have ever seen that. Congrats :applause:

Thanks! I'm still gathering info on the book for now. It would be awesome to get some background from Miller himself considering it has many Miller fans baffled...a guy can dream right? lol

Most excellent indeed. Never seen that one before.

Looks like Miller used Patrick McGoohan (from The Prisoner) as reference for the main figure on the cover.

Hmm...that is remarkably similar hm

Pat_zpsf96f23f4.jpg

027D6153-D46D-4FA7-8430-6503D051ADDB_zps4gvw0mmx.jpg