• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAA! Comics damaged on the way to CGC! UPDATE/CLOSED

66 posts in this topic

All is resolved actually.

And although no one said it publicly, I did get a PM offering pressing services by page 2.

The girl I spoke with was insanely helpful by the end and offered the pressing before I asked and the pre-screen to verify they would hit a certain grade as well. Also before I asked.

Based on the pic she sent me I don't think it was just a drop. They would have all had to have been dropped, land exactly the same, and then probably stepped on to cause the weird crease in the corner.

I suspect someone postal dropped the box and then stepped on the corner of it and it just knicked the corner of the books. Based on the info I did get, the damage was worse on the top books and not as bad on the bottom books which leads me to believe that the box was probably stepped on or had another, heavier box dropped on it's corner. All in all, I'm sure they were packed fine but I will be added a bit more cardboard on either end to my packages from now on. In this case, I'm not sure it would have changed anything though.

Forensic analysis of damage to comics is an absolutely fascinating subject.

Trying to figure out how, why, when, where, and what is just fascinating to me.

Keys to look for: damage to the boards (if any): this will tell you if the damage happened while the book was with that board, or if it occurred elsewhere.

Increasing/diminishing effects: this is useful for large bundles (8-10+), as it tells you about angle/pressure of impact.

Matching the damage inside to the damage outside: this helps tell you if the damage occurred in transit, or AFTER the books were out of their box.

And if your books are dropped, always, always hope they are dropped on the open edge. Impact dents on the spine nearly ALWAYS result in color breaks, which destroys your 9.8s if there's ANY ink at the spine.