• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed Abraham's portrayal. The parts they've left out from the book so far weren't too integral and the changes made sense for the adaptation. There are a lot of small parts of course that weren't in the book, just to support the story .. Acting on some of those parts wasn't as great but overall very solid.

How can you not want to watch after that "this season on" end trailer?!

The story is solid, but just like the book had bad writing, the show has bad acting. Still fun though and the wife liked it, so that's a bonus.

The story is solid, but just like the book had bad writing, the show has bad acting. Still fun though and the wife liked it, so that's a bonus.
As I mentioned elsewhere, it really felt hokey in places. The acting was a little subpar at times and some of the writing really cliched.

"No press. I promise." By the token bureaucrat. Open the door and there's the press. Couldn't see that coming. "You tell those sons of I'm done. I came through for them, but I'm done."

Some cringeworthy stuff to be sure. Entertaining, but it needs to get better quickly.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it really felt hokey in places. The acting was a little subpar at times and some of the writing really cliched.

"No press. I promise." By the token bureaucrat. Open the door and there's the press. Couldn't see that coming. "You tell those sons of I'm done. I came through for them, but I'm done."

Some cringeworthy stuff to be sure. Entertaining, but it needs to get better quickly.

Pretty spot on. There were a few really nice moments and has clear potential, but the writing was poor, and the characters were rehashed tropes. It can get there but needs a bit of work and to move away from well-worn convention. I look forward to seeing where its goes.

That's what my wife and I thought last night. It's not a great sign when your wife is laughing hysterically at the Master running away. Hopefully, the show will improve, but I think we're stuck with the sub-standard writing and excessive cliches. del Toro always seems to pull through in the end though.

Pretty creepy debut, it really went by fast after the 1st half hour. Pro and con I'm in agreement with what's already been said and I'll be watching every week. The scenes for the upcoming episodes were really good, and yes I too noticed they mentioned "The Fall". From all I've heard / read that's going to be the basis for Season 2 and those issues haven't moved an inch yet. Think everyone's doing a wait and see before raiding the LCS's for them?

Pretty creepy debut, it really went by fast after the 1st half hour. Pro and con I'm in agreement with what's already been said and I'll be watching every week. The scenes for the upcoming episodes were really good, and yes I too noticed they mentioned "The Fall". From all I've heard / read that's going to be the basis for Season 2 and those issues haven't moved an inch yet. Think everyone's doing a wait and see before raiding the LCS's for them?

I wont raid simply because I don't see the mass appeal everyone is hoping for. I feel the same way about Preacher and Constantine. I know we all want another WD but it's just not going to happen.

I mentioned Strain was on last night to a fellow nerdy co-worker. his reply was "what's that?"

What is weird to me about this market....

The Strain is getting good prices, yet Game of Thrones is hugely popular show, backed by a NY Times bestselling series of books.

One would probably say even better circumstances.

Yet the GoT comics have never gained traction.

I wonder why?

Plus the prequel, The Hedge Knight, was a good comic, and I guarantee massively under ordered at the time of its release years ago.

Plus you have the series that adapts the books as well.

Weird, I tell ya.

The Strain is getting good prices, yet Game of Thrones is hugely popular show, backed by a NY Times bestselling series of books.

I wonder why?

Plus the prequel, The Hedge Knight, was a good comic, and I guarantee massively under ordered at the time of its release years ago.

Weird, I tell ya.

Except for when Star Wars #1 came out from Marvel in the 70's, the rule has always seemed to be:

TV show / movie based on a comic = $$$

comic based on a TV show / movie = dud

I wonder why?

Weird, I tell ya.

Completely with you on this one as far as comic speculation goes... but then the fans of the GoT TV series are probably going to be more interested in the 1st edition books or more likely gunning for stuff from the show itself e.g. autos, replicas, props, storyboards, trading cards.