• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it a waste to buy lower grade cgc silver & bronze?

38 posts in this topic

My wheelhouse is....

S.A. mega keys(AF15,Hulk 1,ToS 39 etc)-3.0-4.5

S.A. keys 7.0-9.0

Bronze keys 7.5-9.4

copper keys 9.4-9.8(except TMNT1 whenever I find one)

Similar for me, though my mega key range is lower and my SA keys goes up to 9.2.

I buy 3-4-5's and stack em so they slowly get pressed into better shape, dry clean the back covers.

What's the mamximum grade a slabbed IH 181 can get with the value stamp removed?

a quick GPS scan - highest "incomplete" book that was not given a qualified grade is a 3.5

qualified go up to 9.6

probably a safe assumption that these are "incomplete" due to value stamp

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think low grade silvers make good purchases. The movies have brought back a huge influx of people who loved comics as a kid, and now as they hit the 35 or 40 age they want to pick up books. They don't want to drop thousands but don't mind buying less expensive books that still look nice.

I also think we are going to see a lot of changes in opinion towards restoration. With another company even putting the books in universal slabs, some of the stigma around resto is going to dissipate. It also makes for affordable keys. I imagine my first purchase of AF 15 will be in a PLOD and I'm alright with that fact.

Buy what you can afford, but don't buy low grade stuff because it is slow to move unless it is a major key.

There is a direct and obvious contradiction between your first paragraph and your last paragraph.

Can you explain what you meant to convey, better?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think low grade silvers make good purchases. The movies have brought back a huge influx of people who loved comics as a kid, and now as they hit the 35 or 40 age they want to pick up books. They don't want to drop thousands but don't mind buying less expensive books that still look nice.

I also think we are going to see a lot of changes in opinion towards restoration. With another company even putting the books in universal slabs, some of the stigma around resto is going to dissipate. It also makes for affordable keys. I imagine my first purchase of AF 15 will be in a PLOD and I'm alright with that fact.

Buy what you can afford, but don't buy low grade stuff because it is slow to move unless it is a major key.

There is a direct and obvious contradiction between your first paragraph and your last paragraph.

Can you explain what you meant to convey, better?

It makes sense if you replace "low grade silvers" from the first paragraph with "low grade silver KEYS." I think that's what he meant.