• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation misses

227 posts in this topic

New X-Men 128 - 1st Fantomex

...still holding out hope for this one

I think eventually that will take off. Great character.

I think it hurts that he's not on the cover. If you could put the 129 cover on 128, you'd have a perfect first appearance for speculating.

+1

Totally agree with this.

SEX #1, EAST OF WEST #1, PRETTY DEADLY #1, FIVE WEAPONS #1, CLONE #1, NOWHERE MEN #1, Any Marvel or DC #1 2013 & 2014, Catwoman 23 (1st App of Joker's Daughter), etc.

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my mind.

Reading these list makes me think that like most all things in life, timing is everything. Sex is a comic that I would think nobody bought heavy on pre-orders. It's a limited appeal book that sits on a shelf out of the way in comic shops due to the material. Pretty Deadly was a bust for me but I didn't lose any $ on them, just my time. East of West was a huge hit for me early and I've purchased a lot of them 7 months ago when they bottomed out. I personally think it's still the best book on the market and will stand the test of time. If Five Weapons was a spec book, I missed it though I did buy 1 of each copy. I like it. Clone was a huge winner for me as I bought a ton right before SDCC last year. Comics heating up had an article about a week before the con. Someone bought 50 copies of #1 on ebay for $1 each. That was a STEAL lol

Nowhere Men still brings in the $30 to $40 range for a set of 6 books that would have costed you around $13.50 new. Great winner in my mind buy I understand if people paid $40 to get in on #1, you got stuck when they quit making it. Catwoman #23 was a 300% profit after fees if you pre-ordered and sold quick. I made enough to buy a few for free by selling half of what I bought for cover.

I do understand what you're saying. If someone came in at peak prices on any those in quantity, they got killed.

I think Clone has the greatest upside on this list. It has Kirkman and a small print run behind it. I wish i had 50 issues of #1 laying around. If i did, I would be holding.

I'm holding a lot of Clone and EOW. I think EOW has the greatest potential because unlike most stuff out today, it sells a. Lot of books with very, very little discussion of any media connection outside of comics. I'll be glad when people start buying the story instead of the TV/movie rumors. It will never happen with DC/Marvel. People would buy JLA and The Avengers if I wrote them. They might complain but they will still buy but I think the indies have a shot of people liking them for the stories. 2c

I'm holding a lot of Clone and EOW. I think EOW has the greatest potential because unlike most stuff out today, it sells a. Lot of books with very, very little discussion of any media connection outside of comics. I'll be glad when people start buying the story instead of the TV/movie rumors. It will never happen with DC/Marvel. People would buy JLA and The Avengers if I wrote them. They might complain but they will still buy but I think the indies have a shot of people liking them for the stories. 2c

^^

Wolverine Origins 10 - 1st Daken (regular cover)

New X-Men 128 - 1st Fantomex

Amazing Spider-Man 289 - Ned Leeds really wasn't the Hobgoblin

Take your pick of any 5 issues where Steve Rogers quits as Captain America

Long term I think the two I bolded will pay off.

I'm holding a few too :cool:

c086b2b4ddc645dcdfc6016958a0ea89_zpsb9b629c8.jpg

Nobody likes a showoff! Just kidding, looks great!!! The real question is, were you able to get the same amount of 10 & up to make an even amount of sets? Tough task

Wise decision imo. (thumbs u

well my thought on this thread is patience....

I thought those strains I bought where spec misses...

When I was a kid I went to the swap meet and raided the overstock for keys....I dunno how many 1st aps of nightwing I got...but it must me a lot...

So rather then spec misses, mostly these are box up and save in corner of your closet...

Well, hopefully Marvel will eventually do something with Solo (or even Humbug, since they share a first appearance) and I can shed those WoSM 19s.

Back when it was released, I had grabbed a bunch of Coldblood's first appearance but totally missed the rumor that gave it a temporary pop.

How so? Seems like the seller sold for a gain (disregarding time investment), assuming no more than cover price was paid for them.

If you consider that a gain on a book that was heavily hyped/speculated on, as much as being talked about in all medias including major network newscasts, than I dont know what is a speculation miss. Even funeral for a friend/Death of Superman - to this day - has a higher return margin, and thats a book that's usually being refered to as a benchmark for a speculation miss

If that is YOUR measure of miss....a comic that hasn't trippled in value in the first week it came out....I guess those manifest destinys were a miss....

Comparing it to a 20 year old comic doesn't really hold water....apples and oranges...they both make juice, but......

When I say miss, usually I speak of bedlam....it's not dead yet of course and might someday pop ( tv spec...idk )....but it had so much potential, relatively low print runs, world class team....bad timing I suppose, with the theater shootings...

How so? Seems like the seller sold for a gain (disregarding time investment), assuming no more than cover price was paid for them.

If you consider that a gain on a book that was heavily hyped/speculated on, as much as being talked about in all medias including major network newscasts, than I dont know what is a speculation miss. Even funeral for a friend/Death of Superman - to this day - has a higher return margin, and thats a book that's usually being refered to as a benchmark for a speculation miss

Superman 75 was a massive homerun of a speculation hit when it was released. Especially at a time when it was very easy to pre-order multiples at 40-50% off cover. Of course, if you waited until it was selling for $25 to start buying, then I agree that it would have been quite a miss.

Anyone who did this should probably avoid speculation in general.

If that is YOUR measure of miss....a comic that hasn't trippled in value in the first week it came out....I guess those manifest destinys were a miss....

Comparing it to a 20 year old comic doesn't really hold water....apples and oranges...they both make juice, but......

When I say miss, usually I speak of bedlam....it's not dead yet of course and might someday pop ( tv spec...idk )....but it had so much potential, relatively low print runs, world class team....bad timing I suppose, with the theater shootings...

Triple? Double? we're BARELY talking 3% profit here! Correct me if im wrong..

LWA #36 sells for 5.00 cover, times 5 variants thats 25.00.. Theyre moving for 29.00.. Taking away eBay+Paypal cut (12%) you made a whopping 30-35 cent profit per cover. If that's not a flop than what is??

I can randomly pick any drek from a $1.00 bin and make more profit than a LWA #36.. Difference is? I wont because I have no motivation to do so.. But plenty of speculators had a major incentive into doing so with LWA #36 and that book failed to deliver.. To me - that is a speculation miss