• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab a National Enquirer

67 posts in this topic

One thing I don't understand is...

when I was collecting off the racks in the 70"s I never for a second thought that those comics (moderns at the time) were what I really wanted. I wanted the old stuff !! and so did everyone in the neighborhood but of course we could not afford them with our allowances.

IF in the 1970"s they had a grading service it would never have occurred to any of us comic collecting kids to buy a brand new comic off the rack and pay a tidy sum to get it slabbed, we would have used the money it took to slab and would have searched out an old comic because we knew older was better, nothing has changed has it or does todays modern collectors really love their brand new stuff more than vintage material???????

Are you really discounting that today's "modern" books will one day be 50 to 60 years old and that a generation that follows us wouldn't think the same way you did when you were a kid? Face it, if you are a modern collector and can shell out $4, get it slabbed, enjoy having it in your collection for 30 years, and sell it to someone in the future for $100 have you really done yourself a disservice or just found a way to pay yourself a little interest since the banks are paying less than a percent these days? I get it that old books are rarer in general but if I'm growing up in my generation I want books from my generation (personal preference). I can sink the same amount of money into probably 5 moderns as I could 1 oldie but goodie and as long as I enjoy having the book, what difference does it make to me? When I have a heart attack from all the steak egg biscuits from Hardees in about 30 years my kids can keep them or sell them.

good point and everyone can collect whatever they want, even a houseful of cow related items like a woman I knew ,.BUT,....in the 70's EVERYONE in the neighborhood drooled over the older stuff, sure we bought the new stuff off the racks but never for a second would any of us given the opportunity not traded in our modern stuff in a heartbeat for vintage comics but nobody would have been foolish enough to take in trade brand new comics for older comics , maybe 20 to 1 JUST SAYIN!!!!!!

also it has been mentioned that in 40,50 years todays modern drek will be old well in the earlier thread I mentioned stamp collecting...........

well you can pick up unopened wax boxes of 1987 Topps baseball cards (even has barry bonds rookie card) for less than 1987 price, I have quite a few spectacular spiderman #1 from the 1970's and if they aren't worth hardly anything yet 40 years later just imagine todays modern drek in 40 years

not telling you what to collect just giving modern comic collectors historical perspective on what mass production means to the value of their collection and that hopefully they are collecting for the love of comics only... but then why slab moderns - very expensive , might as well slab an Enquirer do you not agree???

All I'm saying is for a 30 cent investment 38 years ago $200+ is nothing to sneeze at. When I can buy 33 copies of it for $10 (back in 1976 of course!) or buy one golden age book, some people are going to diversify instead of lumping all their eggs in one basket. To each their own.

Hi I just checked the completed listings on e-bay and raw spectacular spiderman #1 was being bought for $10-$30 and CGC graded 9.4 from $60-$90 , not too impressive 38 years later taking everything into consideration and no chance that 99.9% of todays modern can come close to even those returns

Are you really that impressed with 1976 spectacular spiderman #1 increase in value 38 years later?

Nope. Just using an example of the book you mentioned. Were's your Cerebus #1? How about those Nova #1s that everyone was packing in their walls? Just saying not every person is going to approach comics in the same manner. You do what you want and I'll do what I want. If you are sitting on a pile of money bigger than me when it's all said and done, good for you, you win. I enjoy my books and am happier with them.

Hi I just checked the completed listings on e-bay and raw spectacular spiderman #1 was being bought for $10-$30 and CGC graded 9.4 from $60-$90 , not too impressive 38 years later taking everything into consideration and no chance that 99.9% of todays modern can come close to even those returns

Are you really that impressed with 1976 spectacular spiderman #1 increase in value 38 years later?

What do they go for in CGC 9.7?

Quiet. He's counting his phat stacks from sales of books like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-Joe-Lot-of-3-10-18-49-1950s-Ziff-Davis-/111392341875?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19ef803f73

I buy Silver and Golden Age to collect. Monthly? I love reading a lot of modern stories. Despite what Wertham claimed, I find a lot of GA reading material to be quite hokey in nature and except for some of the sci-fi stuff, I remain unimpressed. The writing style that was used catered to a different society. I may read a story here and there for nostalgic purposes but I am not glued to it as if I MUST see what comes next.

I am thoroughly entertained by a couple of modern books though and find myself looking forward to seeing what comes as I would a TV show or with a movie knowing that I have to wait a couple of years for a sequel.

Not true grasshopper.. your Peter Panzerfaust #1 has value and is among the 0.01% of slabbed modern drek that does!!!! unfortunately a quick check of the completed listings on ebay shows that very few #2 have sold and those that did were signed twice and still only sold for $56.00 not a very good investment unless your looking for a loss leader to bring in business wouldn't you say ? please do not hate me for being just the messenger just because the message hurts,

99.9% of modern slabs are drek, dealers will not buy them or even waste time looking at them and a CGC National Enquirer will have as much future value.

Quiet. He's counting his phat stacks from sales of books like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-Joe-Lot-of-3-10-18-49-1950s-Ziff-Davis-/111392341875?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19ef803f73

I accidentally read one of those once even though it was unrelated to the Hasbro incarnation. I can honestly say with a straight face that I enjoyed the Marvel run of GI Joe far more.

its wonderful that you still enjoy reading them but nobody who is slabbing modern is reading the issue first they are too worried about the grade to even open it so they are buying two issues (even worse),

golden age comics are hokey to read, GA superman and many DC titles are virtually unreadable they are so fake, but nobody is reading bought GA slabs.

its wonderful that you still enjoy reading them but nobody who is slabbing modern is reading the issue first they are too worried about the grade to even open it so they are buying two issues (even worse),

golden age comics are hokey to read, GA superman and many DC titles are virtually unreadable they are so fake, but nobody is reading bought GA slabs.

That is where you are wrong. There are a couple of characters that I would love to have their first modern appearances of in a 9.8. There are a couple of covers of books that I thought were so well done I would like to have a 9.8.

A perfect example is Cap 109. That is the Silver Age issue where Cap is punching through the WWII newspapers. I have a copy of that in 9.4. I liked that cover so much that I have picked up a slab of the various Cap variants that have paid an homage to that cover.

I don't fault those that want 9.8 copies of the entire Walking Dead series. I don't get that myself but I can see why they do it. Some enjoy the series and want a near perfect complete set. That is their business though.

This still comes across as a "what I collect is awesome and what others collect is not."

Not true grasshopper.. your Peter Panzerfaust #1 has value and is among the 0.01% of slabbed modern drek that does!!!! unfortunately a quick check of the completed listings on ebay shows that very few #2 have sold and those that did were signed twice and still only sold for $56.00 not a very good investment unless your looking for a loss leader to bring in business wouldn't you say ? please do not hate me for being just the messenger just because the message hurts,

99.9% of modern slabs are drek, dealers will not buy them or even waste time looking at them and a CGC National Enquirer will have as much future value.

Yeah, that isn't right...

PP #2s are worth more than #1s.

Tough back cover.

I collect for enjoyment.

Not everything is about money.