• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab a National Enquirer

67 posts in this topic

you can buy sheets of 100 3 cent stamps from the 1930's at 10% less than face, its hardly even worth the time or effort to use it as postage. the stamp collectors market (philately) has disappeared except that classical stamps have always held their value , the same thing will be true in comics, most pre 1965 comics were not saved, they were read and disposed of , anything saved in quantity will not be worth anything in the future ie: stamps, modern baseball cards, beany babies, 99.9% of modern comics etc.........

you can buy sheets of 100 3 cent stamps from the 1930's at 10% less than face, its hardly even worth the time or effort to use it as postage. the stamp collectors market (philately) has disappeared except that classical stamps have always held their value , the same thing will be true in comics, most pre 1965 comics were not saved, they were read and disposed of , anything saved in quantity will not be worth anything in the future ie: stamps, modern baseball cards, beany babies, 99.9% of modern comics etc.........

zzz

I'm certainly glad you're here for all of us collectors who don't know any better. (worship)

I'm thinking of submitting a brand new National Enquirer for grading (hoping to get a 9.7) and then comparing it to 99.9% of the modern slabbed drek that I see the new set requests for, ! in 20 years which will be worth more I wonder ???

Get Stan Lee to sign it first

the same thing will be true in comics, most pre 1965 comics were not saved, they were read and disposed of , anything saved in quantity will not be worth anything in the future

You heard it here first people. Anyone who wants to offload their Silver and Bronze drek can send it to me for safe and environmentally friendly disposal. :whistle:

a portion of the full message was taken out of context. more ridicule/mocking for pointing out the comparisons to 99.9% of the modern slabbed drek and a cgc national enquirer

Yes, I was a bit selective, but you seem to argue that only pre 65 books are rare and therefore the only comics that will be worth anything (you would be wrong on both counts). You are also being overly selective with only liking WD moderns. I prefer silver and bronze, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw out my first print of Saga #1. There is a difference between the massive print runs of the 90s to fill speculator demand signal (similar to the variant gimmicks that encourage retailer over orders of regular covers today), and many of the smaller print runs on Indy books that have taken off to date. You don't acknowledge or even seem to be aware of that difference. At the end of the day, even if all moderns are just one giant bubble (which I doubt), it's still a *spoon* move to krap on everyone that enjoys to collect moderns.

very few will tell you what you need to hear they will only tell you what you want to hear, and those who do tell you what you need to hear are mocked and ridiculed

Mocked and ridiculed like modern comic collectors, or mocked and ridiculed another way?

very few will tell you what you need to hear they will only tell you what you want to hear, and those who do tell you what you need to hear are mocked and ridiculed

Mocked and ridiculed like modern comic collectors, or mocked and ridiculed another way?

:signfunny:

You make a decent point because I don't factor in indy comics or limited print runs but how are you going to pick and choose beyond the drek? you would need a pole barn just to store them!

I still say a CGC National Enquirer will have as much value as 99.9% of moderns in the future.

One thing I don't understand is...

when I was collecting off the racks in the 70"s I never for a second thought that those comics (moderns at the time) were what I really wanted. I wanted the old stuff !! and so did everyone in the neighborhood but of course we could not afford them with our allowances.

IF in the 1970"s they had a grading service it would never have occurred to any of us comic collecting kids to buy a brand new comic off the rack and pay a tidy sum to get it slabbed, we would have used the money it took to slab and would have searched out an old comic because we knew older was better, nothing has changed has it or does todays modern collectors really love their brand new stuff more than vintage material???????

I'm sorry but you're talking to people here who have been collecting comics for decades and they have known a lot of this stuff already. This forum isn't your average newbish collector forum. Look around - quite a few of the top, high end collectors reside here. We have all kinds of collectors. Some perhaps ill-informed but also some extremely well-informed.

One thing I don't understand is...

when I was collecting off the racks in the 70"s I never for a second thought that those comics (moderns at the time) were what I really wanted. I wanted the old stuff !! and so did everyone in the neighborhood but of course we could not afford them with our allowances.

IF in the 1970"s they had a grading service it would never have occurred to any of us comic collecting kids to buy a brand new comic off the rack and pay a tidy sum to get it slabbed, we would have used the money it took to slab and would have searched out an old comic because we knew older was better, nothing has changed has it or does todays modern collectors really love their brand new stuff more than vintage material???????

Thank you for sharing your wisdom on the things that I should enjoy. I'm not sure what we would do without your guidence and wisdom on how we should enjoy this great hobby.

I was thinking steak for dinner, but will await your direction. (thumbs u