• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downgrade after SS, 9.8 - 9.6

22 posts in this topic

So I had what I assumed to be a very, very unlikely occurrence happen to me. My previously graded 9.8 which I cracked and submitted to Desert Wind at a convention came back with a glorious yellow label, and a 9.6. Now I knew that this was something that COULD happen, but seriously? So the grader sat there at his desk with the autographed comic in one hand, and my old 9.8 label in the other and said to himself "nope, that guy who graded this before me is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, this is clearly a 9.6"

Total bummer. :frustrated:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Yea, I was under the impression that the graders are not informed of the previous grade. So I think it's much more likely that the book was scuffed or nicked between being cracked and re-branded, as opposed to a grader thinking your book graded too lightly the first time.

Well that was kinda a joke, I dont think a grader would really try and out-grade his co-workers.

But the new grader really isnt aware of previous grades? Then what is the point of even sending along the original label? Just for CGCs own files?

I was incredibly careful removing it from the slab, so either the original grade was a bit too generous, DWC messed up my book, or Stan Lee spit on it or something.

Well that was kinda a joke, I dont think a grader would really try and out-grade his co-workers.

But the new grader really isnt aware of previous grades? Then what is the point of even sending along the original label? Just for CGCs own files?

The grader has no clue whether the book was previously graded or not. CGC asks people to return the labels, so resubmitted books can be removed from the CGC census.

Run the slab number in the certification look-up and see if any grader notes are available. Many 9.6's do not have any grader notes (which is lazy IMO) as I have been told there is an obvious but very minor defect. If you really want that 9.8 send it off to a pressing company of your choice for them to look at and see if there is something there.

Or just send the entire slab back to CGC for a regrade cause you disagree and "maybe" the encapsulation process flattened out a minor NCB spin tick.

So I had what I assumed to be a very, very unlikely occurrence happen to me. My previously graded 9.8 which I cracked and submitted to Desert Wind at a convention came back with a glorious yellow label, and a 9.6. Now I knew that this was something that COULD happen, but seriously? So the grader sat there at his desk with the autographed comic in one hand, and my old 9.8 label in the other and said to himself "nope, that guy who graded this before me is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, this is clearly a 9.6"

cant tell if you are being serious or tongue-in-cheek.

cracking a 9.8 for a SS always opens the chance of a different grade upon resub.

1. it could have been a weak 9.8 in the first place (a borderline 9.8 graded during a "softer" grading cycle) and been regraded as a 9.6. With the three grader system, if it was a split 9.8 (9.8, 9.8, 9.6) it just takes one grader to agree that it's a 9.6 to drop it)

2. It could have received minor damaged during the cracking out process

3. It could have received minor damage during the prep/handling process

4. It could have received minor damage by the signee.

5. It could have received minor damage when being submitted to CGC

Odds are it got some minor non color breaking bend durring the course of the crack and sign that two graders decided was 9.6ish.

If it's really that big a deal you can send it to get a press and resub.

If this scenario is really vexing for you, stop cracking your blue 9.8s and get out of the SS process all together. The more variables you introduce your book to, the more chances a book gets damaged.

I wouldn't worry too much, if it was below a 9.6, it would be much worse.

It's happened to me a few times, but in both scenarios. 9.6 to 9.8 and 9.8 to 9.6. They're both so close in grading standards realistically that it's inevitable.

What book was it if you don't mind me asking?

and who signed the book?

There's another thread in CG right now where a guy got back a 9.0 and a 9.2 from the same facilitator.

I have one book that I have cracked open every September for a new autograph for 3 years. The first time it came back 9.2, the second time after the second autograph it came back 9.8! This last time it came back 9.4

I really should try and find out what the deal is by checking the graders notes but I'm almost positive that it is this one spot that LOOKS like a spine tick on but in actuality it is a piece of clothing with a white place. It's a photo cover, and I'm drawn to it every time I search the book over trying to find the flaws. Drives me crazy. :ohnoez:

What about the scenario where after being graded the book may have been slightly damaged during encapsulation, so your 9.8 isn't really a 9.8 if you crack it open and it's regraded...

There's another thread in CG right now where a guy got back a 9.0 and a 9.2 from the same facilitator.

Yea I have no experience with Desert Wind, but I haven't heard good things.