• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "NEW" Official This Score Needs Fixing Thread (July 2014)

97 posts in this topic

I've got to say that this was disappointing. Even the titles that got a bump averaged only 10-20 percent. Walking Dead 100 is worth more than nearly everyone of the graded books in these titles.

And I'd take any one of them over Walking Garbage any day of the week and twice on week-ends.

Problem may be that WD scores are just too high.

Probably. (thumbs u

Of course it outsells most everything else mentioned.

Every modern comic in the top 200 out sells the entire remaining population every PCH book ever printed. They are also significantly easier to find.

So you want to base it on scarcity?

So, have you turned into Mr. Contrarian, Jeff? I've spoken about equity in the registry many times. Folks who ask repeatedly for a raise in points for a book they overpaid for while other titles get ignored. Marvel books have more than double in value in the last five years. Some have been doubled and then doubled again. Other titles have no one asking for increases as prices go up and the end up disproprtionately low. PCH titles have never seen a revision since the registry was started. Pre-hero Marvels have gotten a couple of boosts and it seemed appropriate that PCH books be reviewed in light of the increasingly strong PCH market that has been generated by the cover-centric, high-grade collecting environment that CGC has created. Obviously, the comic experts at CGC who now run the registry don't agree with me so we have one-year old comics worth 800 points and 65-year old comics worth 75. Or the first issue of EC Comics Tales from the Crypt worth 18,000 points in 9.8 while the first issue of Marvel's Tales to Astonish is worth 50,400 points in 9.8. One is a part of comic book history that has been reprinted multiple times and is seen as symbolic of the cutting edge of pop culture in the 1950s. The other was a minor title of a struggling publisher. One went out of publication because Congress felt it was damaging the brains of American youth. The other changed formats when Stan Lee realized there was money to be made on superheroes.

I don't think I have. We probably could work out a registry point system in a cab ride to a convention. ;)

There are a multitude of reasons to increase the points of some books and decrease others. Most people only make a case to increase books they collect. The reason the registry is so full of errors is because the foundation is flawed. What is wrong with keeping it simple? Why do wee need the registry to use as backup for any possible insurance claim?

I've got to say that this was disappointing. Even the titles that got a bump averaged only 10-20 percent. Walking Dead 100 is worth more than nearly everyone of the graded books in these titles.

And I'd take any one of them over Walking Garbage any day of the week and twice on week-ends.

Problem may be that WD scores are just too high.

Probably. (thumbs u

Of course it outsells most everything else mentioned.

Every modern comic in the top 200 out sells the entire remaining population every PCH book ever printed. They are also significantly easier to find.

So you want to base it on scarcity?

So, have you turned into Mr. Contrarian, Jeff? I've spoken about equity in the registry many times. Folks who ask repeatedly for a raise in points for a book they overpaid for while other titles get ignored. Marvel books have more than double in value in the last five years. Some have been doubled and then doubled again. Other titles have no one asking for increases as prices go up and the end up disproprtionately low. PCH titles have never seen a revision since the registry was started. Pre-hero Marvels have gotten a couple of boosts and it seemed appropriate that PCH books be reviewed in light of the increasingly strong PCH market that has been generated by the cover-centric, high-grade collecting environment that CGC has created. Obviously, the comic experts at CGC who now run the registry don't agree with me so we have one-year old comics worth 800 points and 65-year old comics worth 75. Or the first issue of EC Comics Tales from the Crypt worth 18,000 points in 9.8 while the first issue of Marvel's Tales to Astonish is worth 50,400 points in 9.8. One is a part of comic book history that has been reprinted multiple times and is seen as symbolic of the cutting edge of pop culture in the 1950s. The other was a minor title of a struggling publisher. One went out of publication because Congress felt it was damaging the brains of American youth. The other changed formats when Stan Lee realized there was money to be made on superheroes.

I absolutely agree!

We all agree there are issues but we need to agree on a format if we hope to resolve any of them.

Right. That may be the most difficult hurdle. I'd be happy if the registry points mirrored GPA averages... most of my sets, and likely many other registry users GA, SA and BA sets, would at least double if not triple in point values. It just sucks when I have a book that GPA's for several hundred dollars and I only get 80 registry points.

Hi

Please consider these 3 comics for score fixing-

they're all related to Guardians of the Galaxy movie released Aug. 1, 2014, and are only going up in value:

1) From Annihilation: Conquest set:

Annihilation: Conquest #6

Note: This is the 1st appearance of the new Guardians of the Galaxy team (which will be lineup of characters from movie)

Rare, and recently sold for ~$200.

2) From Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) set:

Guardians of the Galaxy # 1

Note: 1st issue with new team (movie lineup)

Rare, and recently sold for ~$500.

3) From Guardians of the Galaxy (1990) set:

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Note: 1st issue of the 1st series.

Recently sold for ~$175.

Thanks!

None of these books are rare.

They're seeing an uptick in pricing due to pre-movie hype, but it doesn't make sense to constantly re-score the registry sets based on these movie price bubbles.

Mschmidt, I hear what you're saying, but I don't believe the value of these will go down anytime soon. Most likely, those issues I requested will continue to go up in value, after the Guardians of the Galaxy become much more well known in mainstream popular culture. The basis for my request is the going value. Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (2008) goes for over $100 raw, and a 9.8 graded copy in the hundreds. There aren't that many of them on the market, yet they all sell for that much. If they were more abundant, people would be selling them. Also, it is known that there was a limited print run for that particular issue.

Like others who have posted here, I believe that FMV should be related to score,

even for comics that are abundant and not rare. Take these 3 comics for example:

Batman Adventures 12 (1st Harley Quinn)

New Mutants 98 (1st Deadpool)

New Teen Titans 2 (1st Deathstroke)

All 3 issues are in abundance and yet have skyrocketed in value based on a 1st appearance of a character's popularity. Those that wish to buy a high grade copy would need to shell out hundreds for each, the scores of those should reflect that.

The same is true for the first appearances of members of Guardians of the Galaxy, and for their first appearance as a new team.

But why does that suck? I don't understand why there is a need for a correlation.

I didn't explain that very well...I pay a few hundred for a book and get 80 registry points, while someone buys a modern for $80 bucks and gets 50 registry points. If a book is worth in the registry what it is worth in monetary value, instead of just a made up number, I would feel like the system is more equalized.

But why does that suck? I don't understand why there is a need for a correlation.

I didn't explain that very well...I pay a few hundred for a book and get 80 registry points, while someone buys a modern for $80 bucks and gets 50 registry points. If a book is worth in the registry what it is worth in monetary value, instead of just a made up number, I would feel like the system is more equalized.

What if both were worth 10 points because they're both comic books? What about based on age?

If the concern of most is competition then why not make an even playing field? You can "win" by collecting what you enjoy.

So you would be ok with a point decrease after the hype?

Branget:

To answer your question, if there is a substantial decrease in FMV, then yes!

However, I don't think that will be the case for #1. It is expected to do well in box office, and in popularity in the general public. Sequel is already being considered. Question: has there ever been a box office comic book movie hit in history in which the 1st appearance of that character/characters went down in value? I cannot think of any.

For the record, I bought my copy last year for $200, and now it goes for double that and higher. This book will most likely go up in value, not down. The very low score it has does not even reflect last year's value.

They all do. lol

Sell the sizzle, not the steak. The highest price realized on the vast majority of books that fall into your definition are before the movie comes out.

Linking to GPA wouldn't work.

What if both were worth 10 points because they're both comic books? What about based on age?

If the concern of most is competition then why not make an even playing field? You can "win" by collecting what you enjoy.

Sure, but then then the purpose of registry points is eliminated. It then would be a storage and archival database...which maybe isn't all bad. There would be no point to entering exceptional books since all would be 10 points regardless of title, grade, age or rarity. I could go for age as well...why not age and value...

Branget:

a) you mentioned 'they all do'. Can you give a few specific examples of 1st comic appearance issues of a character/characters featured in a box office hit that substantially went down in value after time?

b) if the book remains at its high value or goes up over time, when do you think a score change would be in order?

c) what cases do you think it WOULD be fair to fix a low score?

d) this book had a value of $200 even before the hype of the movie. I don't think that a score of 24 is adequate for this 1st appearance, that's why I requested it to be fixed in the first place.

Branget:

a) you mentioned 'they all do'. Can you give a few specific examples of 1st comic appearance issues of a character/characters featured in a box office hit that substantially went down in value after time?

b) if the book remains at its high value or goes up over time, when do you think a score change would be in order?

d) this book had a value of $200 even before the hype of the movie. I don't think that a score of 24 is adequate for this 1st appearance, that's why I requested it to be fixed in the first place.

A) ASM 300, UXM 101 without spending too much time on it. Both bigger titles with a much larger following.

B) I don't think "value" should be part of the registry points

C) I think we should fix the base scores and then "low" scores would be an exception to the rule.

D) That is incorrect.

Hi Nicole,

Re: Superman/Batman set.

The Qualified scores for issues #1-10 appear to be much higher than they should be. If no one has any objections (supported with a valid reason), would it be possible to reduce these scores in line with the universal scores, please?

Thank you.

BW

Branget:

A) ASM 300, UXM 101 without spending too much time on it. Both bigger titles with a much larger following.

B) I don't think "value" should be part of the registry points

C) I think we should fix the base scores and then "low" scores would be an exception to the rule.

D) That is incorrect.

Hi Branget:

Thanks for the response-

sorry I couldn't get back til now. Some comments:

A) ASM 300, UXM 101:

If these had gone down in value in last 12 yrs, was likely due to: stock market crash of 2008, and/or highest graded copies first selling for a high amount when scarce on census, and then for slightly less as more become available in same grade. Nonetheless, Copper and Bronze Age books such as these are still very much in high demand. Highest graded copies of each still fetch a nice amount.

B) that's a fair opinion-

C) not sure what you meant by 'fixing the base scores and then "low" scores would be an exception to the rule'.

D) not sure what you think is incorrect, but I could not get a copy of the book in 9.8 for less than $200 when I bought it for that price last year. True, this is a modern book, unlike the key Copper and Bronze Age books of considerably higher value that you mentioned. However, it is a modern 'key' 1st appearance book of a very popular group. It's score of 24 (in 9.8) is the same as any other average current modern book in that grade, and should be worth more. Obviously not nearly as high of a score as the books you mentioned, but certainly more than 24 points.

A) Incorrect. Please check www.gpanalysis.com and compare with the movie dates.

C) There is no consistency in the base scores or the scores of any comic before some request an increase. If the base score was consistent then the exceptions to this would be much less.

D) The movie hype clearly increased the price of the comic to where it is now. It was not a $200 comic before the movie hype. Please check www.gpanalysis.com

Thanks-

I agree with you that movie hype can be the cause if some price spikes, but key 1st appearances always get a premium for popular characters.

With regards to Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) #1, I still strongly feel that 24 points for a 9.8 grade is way too low, the sane as any other current modern I grade. Not only is there a known print run for that issue, but it's a modern key appearance of a popular group, unlike any other issue of that series or any current series of any title. I'm not saying that it should be increased drastically, but it could be increased somewhat over 24.

That's really all I have to say on that, thanks for your input and opinion-