• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "NEW" Official This Score Needs Fixing Thread (July 2014)

97 posts in this topic

Hi

I believe one particular issue has 2 entries for it in this set:

All Star Batman and Robin

#10 regular Jim Lee cover (not variant cover) -

there are 2 entries, however I believe there was only a recalled version-

Have searched years, have seen hundreds of graded recalled copies, but have never seen a 'revised copy' of the regular (Jim Lee) cover.

Was a revised version actually printed by DC for the regular cover?

If not, the set should only include the recalled version of the regular cover for #10.

Thanks!

There are 12 copies of the regular cover, revised/correct edition in the CGC census. Here's one in the Registry:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/ComicDetail.aspx?PeopleComicID=188975&PeopleSetID=23438

So, yeah, it certainly exists.

Would you know what the actual differences are?

I know the obscenities in text were blackened out.

Not sure if the recalled and revised versions are both blackened out, with the black area more dark in the revised copy?

It seems odd that a regular revised issue is exponentially more rare than a recalled version-

If there is a revised version of #10 regular cover, would love to find one, if you know where to get one!

Thanks!

The only difference is that in the corrected version the black bars over the obscenities are solid black - in the recalled versions the bars are slightly opaque.

The corrected version shows up on eBay from time to time (and is pretty cheap to boot) - just keep an eye out :thumbsup:

Another TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 sold for over $16,000, again a few days ago.

With each sale of a 9.8, the 9.9's Registry score makes more and more sense....for a 9.8's score.

My 2c

I consider myself a very logical person...I'm all for doing something if logically it makes sense. Please consider the following:

When the registry score for a TMNT #1 got its first big boost circa 2011, there were only 2 graded copies on the census and 1 public sale...an auction that went for over $23,000. The next public sale went for nearly $18,000.

At the time of this posting, there are 18 Universal, 1 Qualified, and 1 Signature Series copies of TMNT #1 1st print in 9.8. Numerically, it became 10 times more common in grade (from 2 to 20) and dropped over 10% (30% if you count the first public sale) in price since the first adjustment.

Logically speaking, how does a book that became more common and less expensive warrant a score increase?

And just as a disclaimer, anyone who knows me would tell you that no one thinks this book is cooler than I do. In fact, I'm waiting to add my copy to the registry until after I get the rest of the run in 9.8...I just want this to be my crowning book for the set. I'm definitely not disparaging the book, just questioning the logic behind the score increase.

I ask that you take a look at the scores for DC Comics Presents. Issues 5-10 in the 9.8 range earn a score of 65 points (Nos. 1-5 score much higher, but that's fine). Issues from 26 through the rest of the series also score at least 65, with the norm for all except a couple of special issues (like #26) being a score (at 9.8) of 65.

BUT: for some unknown reason, issues 11-25 all score at 50 for 9.8s.

There's no real reason as to why these issues should score significantly lower. I am asking for consistency, for the run from issue 11 through issue 25 to be raised to reflect the rest of the series, with 9.8s scoring 65.

Thanks!

Another TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 sold for over $16,000, again a few days ago.

With each sale of a 9.8, the 9.9's Registry score makes more and more sense....for a 9.8's score.

My 2c

Logically speaking, how does a book that became more common and less expensive warrant a score increase?

Possibly because this book was never allowed to be given its initial "full" score increase from previous attempts - during the past years?

I'm fairly new to CGC and brand new to the forum. I am not quite sure how registry points are determined. Does rarity play a part? I recently had a modern GI Joe:America's Elite comic graded and it is a rare version. While #36 itself is not rare, the cover I have is one of only 50 printed and never offered to the public for sale. To make it even rarer, more than half of the original 50 were lost in a flood. The comic graded a disappointing 9.6, and it's registry value was only 25 points. How can something so rare be so few points?

--- Pre-Code Horror (increase of 25% to 100% depending on title/issue)

Adventures into the Unknown (DONE)

Adventures into Weird Worlds (DONE)

Baffling Mysteries (DONE)

Beware (DONE)

Beyond (DONE)

Black Cat Mystery (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Blue Bolt/Ghostly Weird Tales (DONE)

Chamber of Chills (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Chilling Tales (DONE)

Crime SuspenStories (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Dark Mysteries (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Eerie (Avon) (DONE)

Forbidden Worlds(Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Haunt of Fear (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Haunted Thrills (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Horrific (DONE)

Horrors (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Mister Mystery (DONE)

Mysteries (DONE)

Mysterious Adventures (DONE)

Mystery Tales (DONE)

Panic (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) (DONE)

Shock SuspenStories (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Spellbound (DONE)

Spook (DONE)

Strange Fantasy (DONE)

Strange Mysteries (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Startling Terror Tales Skip- Need to Come Back to this one.

Strange Stories from Another World (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Strange Suspense Stories (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Strange Worlds Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Suspense (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Tales from the Crypt (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Tales of Horror DONE

Terrifying Tales (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Thing (Charleton) (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

This Magazine is Haunted (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) DONE

Tomb of Terror (Harvey) DONE

Vault of Horror (Current Scores Seem Appropriate) Done

Voodoo DONE

Web of Evil DONE

Web of Mystery (Current Scores Seem Appropriate)

Weird Chills DONE

Weird Mysteries DONE

Weird Terror DONE

Weird Thrillers DONE

Witches Tales- I did the Eerie- Scores Seem Appropriate

I've got to say that this was disappointing. Even the titles that got a bump averaged only 10-20 percent. Walking Dead 100 is worth more than nearly everyone of the graded books in these titles.

And why do the Eerie Witches Tales? They aren't PCH. The Harvey title is PCH.

Add me to the list of boardies disappointed with a point bump (albeit a different title/genre). The Sgt. Fury Variants were bumped, but not to the level I expected. Uber rare and the most recent sales were $380 and $320 for 9.4's (later a 9.2 sold for $360) for issues 133 and 134, respectively. Yet, a 9.6 is still only worth 200 registry points. With my lower grade copies I gained a total of a 6 point bump with both books!! Totally not worth the effort expended (multiple posts in several forums, researching and providing values/sales info, checking back for the last 6 months waiting for news, making sure the request remained active...) for the measly 6 point bump. :sorry::tonofbricks::frustrated::(

• Administrator

Beware (DONE)

Beyond (DONE)

Chilling Tales (DONE)

Eerie (Avon) (DONE)

Horrific (DONE)

Mister Mystery (DONE)

Mysteries (DONE)

Mystery Tales (DONE)

Spellbound (DONE)

Spook (DONE)

Strange Fantasy (DONE)

Tales of Horror DONE

Voodoo DONE

Web of Evil DONE

Weird Chills DONE

Weird Mysteries DONE

Weird Terror DONE

Weird Thrillers DONE

I've got to say that this was disappointing. Even the titles that got a bump averaged only 10-20 percent. Walking Dead 100 is worth more than nearly everyone of the graded books in these titles.

Add me to the list of boardies disappointed with a point bump (albeit a different title/genre). The Sgt. Fury Variants were bumped, but not to the level I expected. Uber rare and the most recent sales were $380 and $320 for 9.4's (later a 9.2 sold for $360) for issues 133 and 134, respectively. Yet, a 9.6 is still only worth 200 registry points. With my lower grade copies I gained a total of a 6 point bump with both books!! Totally not worth the effort expended (multiple posts in several forums, researching and providing values/sales info, checking back for the last 6 months waiting for news, making sure the request remained active...) for the measly 6 point bump. :sorry::tonofbricks::frustrated::(

From the site: Comic scores do not equate to market dollars. A more valuable book will in most cases receive more Registry points, but its score is not directly correlated to its value. The algorithm is also designed to enhance and encourage competition in the Registry by reducing extremes in value differences between grades and categories. For this reason a very valuable book may receive fewer points than might be expected, or a relatively common book will receive more points than might otherwise be expected.

I raised the points such that these issues are significantly more valuable than their immediate counterparts in the series & set so that owning them gives a user a significant advantage but yet does not overly discourage other collectors of the series. I can re-evaluate them again, but I'll have to move the request down the list to allow me to accommodate the other users who have also been waiting. Since there is an algorithm that is used to extrapolate the scores across the board I only enter one value and the rest are calculated by the site to maintain consistency which is why your lower grade books may have seen less of an increase comparative to the higher grades.

• Administrator
I'm fairly new to CGC and brand new to the forum. I am not quite sure how registry points are determined. Does rarity play a part? I recently had a modern GI Joe:America's Elite comic graded and it is a rare version. While #36 itself is not rare, the cover I have is one of only 50 printed and never offered to the public for sale. To make it even rarer, more than half of the original 50 were lost in a flood. The comic graded a disappointing 9.6, and it's registry value was only 25 points. How can something so rare be so few points?

Which cover is the rare one so I may add it to the list of scores to be re-evaluated?

• Administrator
In the set Richie Rich 1st Issues the point total for Richie.Rich Jackpots the score is 480 but should be 520pts like it is in 2 other sets. Also in this set please add Richie Rich Vacation Digest (1993) thx, Bd

The score has been updated for this set.

The set specifies that it runs from 1953-1992 so the Vacation Digest from 1993 does not fit these parameters.

Gemma, could you look at the New Mutants 95 2nd printings points and raise them on par with the 1st printing issue? I know the 87 2nd print is on par with its 1st print issue and issue 100 2nd and 3rd are on the same level but for some reason 95 2nd print is at a much lower point level. Just seems odd especially due to the scarcity of that one issue compared to all of the rest of them.

Thanks ahead of time for taking a look.

Beware (DONE)

Beyond (DONE)

Chilling Tales (DONE)

Eerie (Avon) (DONE)

Horrific (DONE)

Mister Mystery (DONE)

Mysteries (DONE)

Mystery Tales (DONE)

Spellbound (DONE)

Spook (DONE)

Strange Fantasy (DONE)

Tales of Horror DONE

Voodoo DONE

Web of Evil DONE

Weird Chills DONE

Weird Mysteries DONE

Weird Terror DONE

Weird Thrillers DONE

From the site: Comic scores do not equate to market dollars. A more valuable book will in most cases receive more Registry points, but its score is not directly correlated to its value. The algorithm is also designed to enhance and encourage competition in the Registry by reducing extremes in value differences between grades and categories. For this reason a very valuable book may receive fewer points than might be expected, or a relatively common book will receive more points than might otherwise be expected.

I raised the points such that these issues are significantly more valuable than their immediate counterparts in the series & set so that owning them gives a user a significant advantage but yet does not overly discourage other collectors of the series. I can re-evaluate them again, but I'll have to move the request down the list to allow me to accommodate the other users who have also been waiting. Since there is an algorithm that is used to extrapolate the scores across the board I only enter one value and the rest are calculated by the site to maintain consistency which is why your lower grade books may have seen less of an increase comparative to the higher grades.

Right. I understand this, Gemma. It just sucks when you have a desirable book that would sell in a heartbeat at $75-100 all day long and it's worth 5 registry points because it's not a 9.8 and it's not a Spiderman or Walking Dead comic.