• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please grade this FF #4

36 posts in this topic

No back cover scan on a high grade book? I would have to have some references before I would buy anything from this seller. He has quite an inventory of high grade raw books.

He could be legit, and maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm it. The table and the angled shots reminds me of you know who , but lets hope not.

Robo Blow?

No back cover scan on a high grade book? I would have to have some references before I would buy anything from this seller. He has quite an inventory of high grade raw books.

He could be legit, and maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm it. The table and the angled shots reminds me of you know who , but lets hope not.

Robo Blow?

I was reading his feedback and the only problems I could find is he was grading comics too high!

I think this book has been trimmed. And the 9.2 grade is high! More like 8.0 tops, but without a scan of the back cover I would shy away from this auction. 2c

"There is some color touch on the cover, a small amount of glue on the spine, and the comic has been trimmed."

From the auctions description

I think this book has been trimmed. And the 9.2 grade is high! More like 8.0 tops, but without a scan of the back cover I would shy away from this auction. 2c

thanks for the input but doesn't it have a picture of the back cover?

I can see it too!

I can see it too!

That's weird because when I checked the link out the first time there were only three images and no description below indicating that the book was restored. But now there are 8 images and a full description? :insane:

"There is some color touch on the cover, a small amount of glue on the spine, and the comic has been trimmed."

From the auctions description

thanks for posting that :) that should give a better indication of it's grade along with pics

I can see it too!

That's weird because when I checked the link out the first time there were only three images and no description below indicating that the book was restored. But now there are 8 images and a full description? :insane:

lol you can always ask him if the comic is restored and he'll update the description!

The trimming looks pretty severe on that copy, and it still comes up short of an apparent 9.2 on what's left. My own rule for trimmed copies is to grade as if the piece were still there and was about as flawed as can be imagined (ragged with small tears, chips, etc.) So I wouldn't consider a copy with that much trimming to be better than an apparent 4.5.

Currently it's probably a somewhat reasonable price all things considered, as I imagine it would be difficult to find better than 3.5 raw or 3.0 CGC graded for that price, but either is probably preferable to a copy with that degree of trimming.

The trimming looks pretty severe on that copy, and it still comes up short of an apparent 9.2 on what's left. My own rule for trimmed copies is to grade as if the piece were still there and was about as flawed as can be imagined (ragged with small tears, chips, etc.) So I wouldn't consider a copy with that much trimming to be better than an apparent 4.5.

Currently it's probably a somewhat reasonable price all things considered, as I imagine it would be difficult to find better than 3.5 raw or 3.0 CGC graded for that price, but either is probably preferable to a copy with that degree of trimming.

thanks for the input!

While there are dimensional inconsistencies from that era, looking again at the copy compared to others on ebay, it appears there should always be some yellow above the IND in the top right corner, and some definition to the edge of the second splash below subby's foot, and barring a noticeable miswrap the CCA stamp and the the Thing's elbow should not be clipped at the right edge of the cover.

This particular copy looks like it was trimmed more than an 1/8 of an inch on all three sides, and would look obviously smaller than other books from the era in hand.