• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please grade this FF #4

36 posts in this topic

While there are dimensional inconsistencies from that era, looking again at the copy compared to others on ebay, it appears there should always be some yellow above the IND in the top right corner, and some definition to the edge of the second splash below subby's foot, and barring a noticeable miswrap the CCA stamp and the the Thing's elbow should not be clipped at the right edge of the cover.

This particular copy looks like it was trimmed more than an 1/8 of an inch on all three sides, and would look obviously smaller than other books from the era in hand.

so grade wise what do you think it should get?

Something along the lines of Apparent 4.5 Moderate Restoration with color touch, glue on spine, three edges trimmed.

Honestly the grade and even level of resto is going to be less a factor in terms of desirability at any given price than the fact that all three edges are obviously trimmed.

Something along the lines of Apparent 4.5 Moderate Restoration with color touch, glue on spine, three edges trimmed.

Honestly the grade and even level of resto is going to be less a factor in terms of desirability at any given price than the fact that all three edges are obviously trimmed.

Man I love your honest answers! if I don't win this comic I'lll put up a wtb ad for a det 168 and if I do win I'll get it restored

I think this book has been trimmed. And the 9.2 grade is high! More like 8.0 tops, but without a scan of the back cover I would shy away from this auction. 2c

+1

Obvious trim job.

No back cover scan on a high grade book? I would have to have some references before I would buy anything from this seller. He has quite an inventory of high grade raw books.

He could be legit, and maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm it. The table and the angled shots reminds me of you know who , but lets hope not.

Robo Blow?

Not Robo, but just as bad. This is one of the final tentacles of the Cdpaoli and Lexerific scams that went on for years on ebay. I can't remember if AllThingsComics is Aram or Narba, but one of them is running it. Address in Montrose, CA is a mail box store.

Google these items; Cdpaoli (Chris Paoli) Lexerific (Alex Nisthal), Bijoubay, other two guys are Aram Shirinyan(sp?) and Narba Harutunian(sp?) I know I spelled their last names wrong. These four guys went to college together, used to by PLODS and crack them out and sell them on ebay as unrestored with large grade bumps, and of course shill each others auctions.

If you buy on Ebay learn what their current ids are and avoid, it's all one big scam.

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons...

But this guy said that the book was trimmed and color touched so I think he isnt from that group?

It is confirmed it's one of them. They were busted on the old scam so many times they were probably worried about the FBI coming after them.

New scam is crack the books out and bump the grade 4 notches. They buy many of the books right off of ebay, hold them 2-3 months, crack the slab, then sell them ebay (with their new phony grade.

Many threads here with pics, showing the whole thing.

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons...

But this guy said that the book was trimmed and color touched so I think he isnt from that group?

To be honest, I checked the eBay posting just after this PGM thread was first posted. There were only 3 pictures of the book (the first three you see in the listing now) and there was absolutely no description.

My understanding is that at some point someone (the OP of this thread) asked some questions and the next time I looked there were 8 pictures in total and a full disclosure of the restoration. The main title is still misleading as far as I'm concerned. But that was why I posted the early message that I did as well as DR.X!

Now I know you posted a reply one minute prior to DR.X and mine was posted quite a bit later but to be honest it sat open on my screen for some time before I posted. So I know when I opened the post you hadn't responded yet as there were no replies, so I don't know the full timeline but I don't believe that this guy is necessarily on the up and up. 2c

No back cover scan on a high grade book? I would have to have some references before I would buy anything from this seller. He has quite an inventory of high grade raw books.

He could be legit, and maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm it. The table and the angled shots reminds me of you know who , but lets hope not.

Robo Blow?

Not Robo, but just as bad. This is one of the final tentacles of the Cdpaoli and Lexerific scams that went on for years on ebay. I can't remember if AllThingsComics is Aram or Narba, but one of them is running it. Address in Montrose, CA is a mail box store.

Google these items; Cdpaoli (Chris Paoli) Lexerific (Alex Nisthal), Bijoubaby, other two guys are Aram Shirinyan(sp?) and Narba Harutunian(sp?) I know I spelled their last names wrong. These four guys went to college together, used to by PLODS and crack them out and sell them on ebay as unrestored with large grade bumps, and of course shill each others auctions.

If you buy on Ebay learn what their current ids are and avoid, it's all one big scam.

Fixed the bijoubaby for you...

Everyone...as relates to all_things_comics... They are scammers of the first order. As WO notes...they used to sell restored books without disclosure disguised as unrestored books. After they got several iterations of IDs disqualified, they developed a little more subtle approach to their scamsmanship. They now buy up every CGC restored book they can get their mitts on, crack them out, and bump the grades significantly. And give the angled photos as well to further obscure the grade that CGC gave the book.

Not illegal. Unethical? ...well it's your money... :tonofbricks:doh!

I'll go find the link to their history but their are several threads...the first two sniffed out by me and another board friend...

I think this book has been trimmed. And the 9.2 grade is high! More like 8.0 tops, but without a scan of the back cover I would shy away from this auction. 2c

+1

Obvious trim job.

thanks

Robo Blow?

Google these items; Cdpaoli (Chris Paoli) Lexerific (Alex Nisthal), Bijoubaby, other two guys are Aram Shirinyan(sp?) and Narba Harutunian(sp?) I know I spelled their last names wrong. These four guys went to college together, used to by PLODS and crack them out and sell them on ebay as unrestored with large grade bumps, and of course shill each others auctions.

Fixed the bijoubaby for you...

Everyone...as relates to all_things_comics... They are scammers of the first order. As WO notes...they used to sell restored books without disclosure disguised as unrestored books. After they got several iterations of IDs disqualified, they developed a little more subtle approach to their scamsmanship. They now buy up every CGC restored book they can get their mitts on, crack them out, and bump the grades significantly. And give the angled photos as well to further obscure the grade that CGC gave the book.

Not illegal. Unethical? ...well it's your money... :tonofbricks:doh!

I'll go find the link to their history but their are several threads...the first two sniffed out by me and another board friend...

thanks for your answer