• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Help with MOC Star Wars 12 backs

10 posts in this topic

First off I know that there are forums and communities that specialize in this and have more knowledge than here. I also know that if you join up for one of these forums and start saying on your first post how you stumbled on a bunch of grail type items there is a lot of skepticism and the information isn't all that helpful.

I buy all sorts of things all the time and someone that I deal with mentioned they have had these for years and needed some money. He originally talked 1000 dollars but after seeing the condition we settled at 300.

I am not 100% sure they if they are real or fake/recarded/rebacked. These all have the crosshatch pattern.

R2D2 is open on two sides

Obi Wan is way warped but sealed

Leia chest is yellow

The others are all sealed but have creases, staple holes etc in the cards.

Here is my issue...How do I sell them? Its hard to find real prices on Ebay because of all the reback stuff and super high graded stuff.

AFA is expensive is it worth it for low grade stuff? My camera has no macro, does showing the crosshatch when selling matter. Are there legit dealer that buy these raw and don't totally kill you on price?

Thanks for any advise.

DSCN0008_zps3a5d1e59.jpg

DSCN0007_zps6eb39726.jpg

DSCN0006_zps6407207e.jpg

DSCN0005_zpsc392e82c.jpg

DSCN0004_zpsa84900ac.jpg

DSCN0003_zpsd4e83906.jpg

Just based on these photos, I'd say they are real, but that doesn't mean they haven't been retouched or reglued, which would make them ungradable.

These are not really grail items, as 12-backs aren't that rare, unless the luke or ben happen to have double-telescoping sabers (impossible to tell from your photos.) Also, on all of them, check the footers to see if they have any text on them. If so, they will be worth more (but probably not a lot more.)

AFA will not grade opened items. The warping on ben may also prevent it from being gradable.

It's hard to judge value as these items rarely come up in such low condition. But vintage star wars stuff is nuking futs right now so you might do okay.

Just go over to rebelscum (forum.rebelscum.com) and post in the main vintage sections. No one is going to shred you, and even if they do, so what? Ignore the trolls, other folks there are very helpful. And you won't really get slammed unless you say "by the way, I just LOOOOOOVE U-grading!!!!"

I'm a member of the Rebel Scum forums as are other members here. Why not join and ask for their advice?

Just a suggestion.

Just have an open mind as these items show a lot of wear and discoloration which will greatly affect their value.

If you have the telescoping saber versions, you made a fine buy. The double telescoping saber (DT) was available very early on in the run of these figures. You can tell the difference, even through the bubble, between a DT and fixed tip saber. Here's a photo of what a regular saber looks like (left) and the DT on the right.

The fixed tip saber is thick, while the DT tip is usually pretty thin and you can see that it is two pieces instead of a single molded piece.

DSC08377.jpg

If you have the telescoping saber versions, you made a fine buy. The double telescoping saber (DT) was available very early on in the run of these figures. You can tell the difference, even through the bubble, between a DT and fixed tip saber. Here's a photo of what a regular saber looks like (left) and the DT on the right.

The fixed tip saber is thick, while the DT tip is usually pretty thin and you can see that it is two pieces instead of a single molded piece.

DSC08377.jpg

Question please... I still need to "marry" a figure. I actually own a DT Luke myself. However the figure was shoddy and not as nice as one of my other farmboy lukes, so I placed the DT lightsaber in with the nicer figure. I did all of this before there were COO guides and things like that. What am I looking for on a farmboy Luke so I can put the right figure with that DT saber?

Just based on these photos, I'd say they are real, but that doesn't mean they haven't been retouched or reglued, which would make them ungradable.

These are not really grail items, as 12-backs aren't that rare, unless the luke or ben happen to have double-telescoping sabers (impossible to tell from your photos.) Also, on all of them, check the footers to see if they have any text on them. If so, they will be worth more (but probably not a lot more.)

AFA will not grade opened items. The warping on ben may also prevent it from being gradable.

It's hard to judge value as these items rarely come up in such low condition. But vintage star wars stuff is nuking futs right now so you might do okay.

Just go over to rebelscum (forum.rebelscum.com) and post in the main vintage sections. No one is going to shred you, and even if they do, so what? Ignore the trolls, other folks there are very helpful. And you won't really get slammed unless you say "by the way, I just LOOOOOOVE U-grading!!!!"

That is what I was going to say. Rebelscum is a great place to sell them.