• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is a wrap and a centerfold for comic books?

15 posts in this topic

I have no clue what a centerfold or a comic wrap is and that's important because I'm looking for coverless copies of valuable comics and it usually mentions they are missing wraps and centerfolds can someone give me a definition of what those are and pictures? It would really help me out

Take an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper. Hold the top and bottom of the sheet together and fold it neatly in the middle.

The folded sheet you're holding is basically a comic 'wrap'. It makes up four of the comic book's pages (as there are four 'sides' to the folded sheet.)

A 'centerfold' just means the wrap in the very center of the book, where the staples are visible and hold the book together. If you open a comic to the very center, the wrap you should be looking at (unless it's missing) is the centerfold.

So for instance, a GA comic missing 'centerfold plus one wrap' is missing a total of 8 story pages (4+4).

The centerfold is just the middle wrap. A wrap is a pair of pages.

do you have some pictures to help me identify a centerfold and a wrap?

Are you serious?

If you are, here's an example of a centerfold. You know it's the centerfold and not just another wrap because the staples are visible. The centerfold is just another wrap, but it is the inner-most wrap.

retroscan_2.jpg

Take an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper. Hold the top and bottom of the sheet together and fold it neatly in the middle.

The folded sheet you're holding is basically a comic 'wrap'. It makes up four of the comic book's pages (as there are four 'sides' to the folded sheet.)

A 'centerfold' just means the wrap in the very center of the book, where the staples are visible and hold the book together. If you open a comic to the very center, the wrap you should be looking at (unless it's missing) is the centerfold.

So for instance, a GA comic missing 'centerfold plus one wrap' is missing a total of 8 story pages (4+4).

thanks for that answer

The centerfold is just the middle wrap. A wrap is a pair of pages.

do you have some pictures to help me identify a centerfold and a wrap?

Are you serious?

If you are, here's an example of a centerfold. You know it's the centerfold and not just another wrap because the staples are visible. The centerfold is just another wrap, but it is the inner-most wrap.

retroscan_2.jpg

thanks and yes I am serious because I didn't know what they are

The nomenclature gets confusing because page is frequently used to describe both sides of a leaf, which is the traditional term for a half wrap with a page printed on either side. When people refer to a page number, or a page as containing specific visual information they mean just one side of the paper, but when a leaf is missing they tend to use page instead of leaf to describe what is in actuality two pages.

The center wrap shouldn't really be referred to as a centerfold unless there is an image printed across the the two opposing pages at the middle of the book (the fold), but that distinction has long been abandoned by comic collectors.