• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-Con: Stan Lee Abruptly Cancels Appearance

126 posts in this topic

Has anyone read that stuff though? I'm not psychotic, right? Everything I've ever read on Ditko is he's angry and anti social

I would be too if I had to deal with a fraction of the entitled fans who think creators owe them the world because they bought a copy of their comic. I would have the worst reputation as a comics professional if I were one.

Sean Phillips doesn't do that

Sean Phillips :cloud9:

That dude is incredibly polite to fans-helped me with my scanner when I outta the blue emailed him....

PS I have the first ever commission work from his son jake who is quite the talent for his age....

Has anyone read that stuff though? I'm not psychotic, right? Everything I've ever read on Ditko is he's angry and anti social

I would be too if I had to deal with a fraction of the entitled fans who think creators owe them the world because they bought a copy of their comic. I would have the worst reputation as a comics professional if I were one.
From what I've read about Ditko (most recently in Sean Howe's book), he was sort of a jerk even before he had any fans. Apparently there was no love loss between him and the other creators and editors at Marvel. He is, or was, a huge fan of Ayn Rand, sociopath extraordinaire, so that makes me think he really is anti-social himself. I doubt he'd have any fans if he hadn't been lucky enough to be assigned to Spider-Man, which was a great comic in the early days in spite of his participation, not because of it. Even his artwork seems a little cold and sterile to me, something akin to the way I'd describe the man himself.

That's the type stuff I've read about him....and yeah without his work on ASM he might have had a small following for Dr Strange but he'd be about as popular as don Heck in the overall scheme of things.

Don't understand people who hate the thing that made them famous.....hell if I was famous for Woodgod I'd love the mess outta Woodgod....

No-from watching antiques roadshow only one thing matters-rarity of signature......

From what I've read about Ditko (most recently in Sean Howe's book), he was sort of a jerk even before he had any fans. Apparently there was no love loss between him and the other creators and editors at Marvel. He is, or was, a huge fan of Ayn Rand, sociopath extraordinaire, so that makes me think he really is anti-social himself. I doubt he'd have any fans if he hadn't been lucky enough to be assigned to Spider-Man, which was a great comic in the early days in spite of his participation, not because of it. Even his artwork seems a little cold and sterile to me, something akin to the way I'd describe the man himself.
That's the type stuff I've read about him....and yeah without his work on ASM he might have had a small following for Dr Strange but he'd be about as popular as don Heck in the overall scheme of things.

Don't understand people who hate the thing that made them famous.....hell if I was famous for Woodgod I'd love the mess outta Woodgod....

This is a silly statement. Spider-Man was not great in spite of his participation. I am a huge Stan Lee fan, but almost everything to do with Spider-Man came from Ditko.

His figures were pretty lively though as opposed to Kirby's dynamic figures-you gotta credit him for that.

I am going to take a walk. Kav you watch the internet while I am gone. It's your responsibility now.

ok

:popcorn:

You did good young Anand... we should make this a permanent title.

Kav - Protector of the internet.

Some people started to post new blogs about Justin Bieber but I nipped that mess in the bud

I'm no Ayn Rand fan, but I think the distance Steve Ditko keeps is part of the philosophy of Objectivism. Something about letting one's work speak for itself. I think that's why he simply wants to be left alone, which is his choice.

I could be way off about that, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think many folks know Ditko well enough to know if he's a jerk or not...

And yeah, AF15 notwithstanding, one of Stan's best ideas was to keep Kirby off of Spiderman. It just looks....clunky. His Spiderman on the cover of Strange Tales Annual 2 looks like a some sort of illegal foreign bootleg action figure skirting around copyright infringement.

I'm no Ayn Rand fan, but I think the distance Steve Ditko keeps is part of the philosophy of Objectivism. Something about letting one's work speak for itself. I think that's why he simply wants to be left alone, which is his choice.

You are correct.

Everything I've read by Ditko says precisely this.

To twist it around that he "despises his fans" or some such, is utter rubbish.

I don't think many folks know Ditko well enough to know if he's a jerk or not...

And yeah, AF15 notwithstanding, one of Stan's best ideas was to keep Kirby off of Spiderman. It just looks....clunky. His Spiderman on the cover of Strange Tales Annual 2 looks like a some sort of illegal foreign bootleg action figure skirting around copyright infringement.

I agree ST Annual 2's Spidey looks clunky, but which Spidey would have drawn you more to AF15, Ditko's version or Kirby's? I associate Kirby's with Spiderman and I don't know if Ditko's would have done the same job. Just look at the cover of ASM 1 and AF15, which attracts more of your attention? Kirby's, he makes Spidey look more heroic and a stronger figure than Ditko. I feel Romita helped bring that strength back to Spiderman.

I agree Romita was the iconic Spiderman artist-his romance comic background was perfect for the character driven stories....