• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade this Sub-Mariner #1 Update!

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm thinking of making an offer for this sub-mariner #1 but I really need help with the grade and how much you think I should pay for this and please grade as conservatively as you can since I never spent this much money on anything before :)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1000879899

Cheers,

Gabriel Kawa

Update: the comic has been sold but he's says he has comics from the platinum to modern age so I asked for a list!

There is no such grade as Fair+, but if there was, that would seem to be about right. Fair is 1.0. Fair/Good is 1.5. I think CGC would break either way, unless the book was incomplete. As far as the price, take the lowest # in Overstreet and cut it in half ($1350) or buy a subscription to GPA if you want more detailed #'s. Good luck.

There is no such grade as Fair+, but if there was, that would seem to be about right. Fair is 1.0. Fair/Good is 1.5. I think CGC would break either way, unless the book was incomplete. As far as the price, take the lowest # in Overstreet and cut it in half ($1350) or buy a subscription to GPA if you want more detailed #'s. Good luck.

I already have a sucscription to gpa and it says around 1400 for a 0.5 and I suck at grading so I decided to ask and you think I should make an offer of 625?

No offense meant, but if you suck at grading, and you're not used to buying four-figure books, this isn't where I'd start. 2c

you're right I'm trying teo buy a grading guide by they're expensive :(

Point Five is right. The grading contests here are a great place to brush up on your grading. They are free and people donate prizes. Some of them for the recent contest were pretty nice. I think Andy donated a SGT Fury #1 in CGC 1.5. That went to first place but the top 40 all get prizes as well. It's not real time consuming and a wonderful, cost-effective way to improve your game.

No offense meant, but if you suck at grading, and you're not used to buying four-figure books, this isn't where I'd start. 2c

First of all, it is extremely difficult to find that copy at any grade. You will not see it for many ages, maybe not in you lifetime. You are at your own risk. If I were you, I knew my risk by taking that book. Have it graded. The book will be encapsulated forever. Keep it for ten to twenty years then sell it for more profit.

Unfortunately, CGC will not put the loose parts inside the case but you can always use the archival tape for all loosed pieces to the book that will not consider the restoration.

You can always call CGC about the loose pieces.

Grading guide will not help you count pages. I think the last thing you want is to wind up w/a green 0.5.

Point Five is right. The grading contests here are a great place to brush up on your grading. They are free and people donate prizes. Some of them for the recent contest were pretty nice. I think Andy donated a SGT Fury #1 in CGC 1.5. That went to first place but the top 40 all get prizes as well. It's not real time consuming and a wonderful, cost-effective way to improve your game.

cool I didn't know they held grading contests

First of all, it is extremely difficult to find that copy at any grade. You will not see it for many ages, maybe not in you lifetime. You are at your own risk. If I were you, I knew my risk by taking that book. Have it graded. The book will be encapsulated forever. Keep it for ten to twenty years then sell it for more profit.

Unfortunately, CGC will not put the loose parts inside the case but you can always use the archival tape for all loosed pieces to the book that will not consider the restoration.

You can always call CGC about the loose pieces.

that's what I'm thinking of doing and also getting it pressed and dry cleaned

Grading guide will not help you count pages. I think the last thing you want is to wind up w/a green 0.5.

that's true but the seller said that it's complete!

Fully taped spine on what is likely a detached cover, pieces missing and questionable page quality. I would recommend walking away from this book if you are not confident in your grading and comic book appraisal skills.

well my grading skills say this is a 1.5 what do you think?

1.0, low page quality, with a decent chance of trimming to the top/bottom cover edges...they look pretty crisp given the overall wear of the book.

+1

I would have to see some pics of the inside before dropping a dime on this, especially the centerfold.

1.0, low page quality, with a decent chance of trimming to the top/bottom cover edges...they look pretty crisp given the overall wear of the book.

how can you tell a comic has been trimmed?