• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF is wrong with this person?

24 posts in this topic

I think that's Theo, the guy with the 1 million dollar FF #1 prototype IIRC

Yeah, it is. Didn't know Theo was still actively buying art to sell.

This page sold two years ago for $1100 on Heritage.

But then again, Mitch Mehdy will probably have a rational explanation for Theo's prices meh

But then again, Mitch Mehdy will probably have a rational explanation for Theo's prices meh

I will start this off by stating I am one of the biggest capitalists you will ever find and encourage people to seek to make a profit and harbor no ill will if and when they do. I am not suggesting raising the price from an auction to when sold at retail is wrong or illegal or anything like that. But.... At what point does it become unreasonable and hurt the hobby. Example: If a piece is sold on ebay or HA for 2k and appears on a dealer site for 2700 2 months later I don't think that is unreasonable. But when a piece sells for 2k in June and is on a dealer site for 5k in July I just think it looks ridiculous and almost insulting to the prospective buyers, as if they are too stupid to know what it sold for 30 days ago. Is there a percentage or absolute dollar amount where you guys feels it is ridiculous and gouging. Another example would be this piece in this thread that sold for $1100 and now the seller is asking for offers of at least 100k to 650k with a retail price of 1 mil 2 years later. I bring this up because I believe that the perception of that happening here hurts the hobby by discouraging new collectors from entering the hobby. Once again I agree someone can and should price something they are selling at whatever they want I just don't understand the logic sometimes. Thoughts?

200% dealer markup doesn't bother me. I'm not paying those prices, but I know that every auction there are pieces that 'slip through the cracks' and sell for less at that particular moment than they would at most others.

If there are dealers with money on hand to take advantage of those deals, more power to them.

I've tried to buy these kinds of items from them. "C'mon Albert, you'd be making $1,500 on an item you bought just last month" I'd say. But they seldom fall for that tactic. And I don't blame 'em.

Putting aside the ridiculous pricing, why isn't anyone talking about the wrong (materially misleading) auction description?

I think its covered by "WTF is wrong with this person?" lol

He did the same thing with his million dollar FF1 prototype cover no?

Malvin

Actually this piece was sold again a few months ago on Clink, and went for what I remember at around 2.5k.

Actually this piece was sold again a few months ago on Clink, and went for what I remember at around 2.5k.

Actually it went for $1100 in the Feb 2014 CL auction.

Actually it went for $1100 in the Feb 2014 CL auction.

Then he'll make a great profit if it sells. :insane:

I love the notation on the listing "offers must be at least from $100,000 to $650,000". lol Can you imagine Theo and Mitch in the same room together? I just wonder which one of them is more of a wing nut? Hard to tell.

I will start this off by stating I am one of the biggest capitalists you will ever find and encourage people to seek to make a profit and harbor no ill will if and when they do. I am not suggesting raising the price from an auction to when sold at retail is wrong or illegal or anything like that. But.... At what point does it become unreasonable and hurt the hobby. Example: If a piece is sold on ebay or HA for 2k and appears on a dealer site for 2700 2 months later I don't think that is unreasonable. But when a piece sells for 2k in June and is on a dealer site for 5k in July I just think it looks ridiculous and almost insulting to the prospective buyers, as if they are too stupid to know what it sold for 30 days ago. Is there a percentage or absolute dollar amount where you guys feels it is ridiculous and gouging. Another example would be this piece in this thread that sold for $1100 and now the seller is asking for offers of at least 100k to 650k with a retail price of 1 mil 2 years later. I bring this up because I believe that the perception of that happening here hurts the hobby by discouraging new collectors from entering the hobby. Once again I agree someone can and should price something they are selling at whatever they want I just don't understand the logic sometimes. Thoughts?

I agree with your sentiments about dealers looking to (at least) double their outlay on art they buy in auction. Like you, I've absolutely no problem with anyone making a decent profit on re-sale, but asking in excess of twice what they (recently) paid for something is outrageous at the best of times.

I love the notation on the listing "offers must be at least from $100,000 to $650,000". lol Can you imagine Theo and Mitch in the same room together? I just wonder which one of them is more of a wing nut? Hard to tell.

Robert Weaver (worship)

weaver_zpsf1adcfc7.jpgendless_zpsee2b99fa.jpg

I agree with your sentiments about dealers looking to (at least) double their outlay on art they buy in auction. Like you, I've absolutely no problem with anyone making a decent profit on re-sale, but asking in excess of twice what they (recently) paid for something is outrageous at the best of times.

It does happen, though.

Not that this is the same case, but I remember when the complete book of Amazing Spider-Man #31 OA was broken up and sold at an auction house, quite a few pages showed up about 24 hrs later on a popular (and quite a good guy) OA dealers site for more than double (sometimes triple) the closing auction price.

I was watching those pages well; if I remember correctly, something like a $75 deposit had to be laid down via CC in order to qualify to bid (something like that). I didn't do it, and many of those pages went for a decent price.

Wish I woulda' participated in that one.