• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying raw comics on ebay is a risky business...

84 posts in this topic

I've gotten some decent deals on eBay over the years, but I've never bought a raw book over $100 on there, and I'm generally buying mid grade books, so the grading is usually a little easier to verify from a scan.

I got a group of vg+ nick furies for $2 each because they were listed individually with $6 shipping. No one wanted to risk winning just one, so I won six 99 cent auctions. I got a group of vg+ TOS 66-70 for $8 each and the seller thru in a low grade 65 as a freebie.

I've gotten a few clunkers too, but everyone has either taken a return or offered a partial refund. With Paypal, eBay just isn't all that risky for the buyer.

Frankly, I think I'd rather be a buyer on eBay these days than a seller.

I figured he was being sarcastic. But I'm completely serious. Why buy raw comics on eBay when there are plenty of solid dealers who you can mostly trust and buy here on the boards?

I don't understand taking that risk just to possibly get a deal.

That's just me. I avoid eBay raw comics. Slabs sure but raw not a chance unless I know he dealer like Sparklecity.

Buying raw anywhere is risky business. I'd imagine somewhere close to 100% of all professional restoration on high dollar comics is done by dealers. Many people selling comics in eBay are not dealers or professionals at restoration, they're just cleaning out the closet. You can get taken by them, knowingly or unknowingly, or you can get taken by a booth at a convention, or the LCS.

Buying raw anywhere is risky business. I'd imagine somewhere close to 100% of all professional restoration on high dollar comics is done by dealers. Many people selling comics in eBay are not dealers or professionals at restoration, they're just cleaning out the closet. You can get taken by them, knowingly or unknowingly, or you can get taken by a booth at a convention, or the LCS.

I don't think that's the case if you're buying from the right people. The legit dealers will make it right. Two "case in points":

-I bought a book from a well known dealer that I ended up having graded more than a year after I bought it. It came back PLOD. I contacted the dealer, told him what happened, and had my money refunded.

-I bought a book from another well known dealer with the caveat that if it came back PLOD I would expect a refund. Dealer agreed to that and I bought the book It came back Blue, so I didn't have to return. the agreement was in place though.

There are plenty of great dealers out there. Just make sure you have the expectations set.

Anyway tell the guy who bought a fake slabbed 181 that slabs are the way to go

Enjoy your books. I have a nice collection and only one slab was bought from eBay. Only one.

The rest of my collection came from well known dealers and boardies (sometimes they were both).

I'm risk averse when it comes to buying comics on eBay. I rarely buy anything on there.

And, being a seller is worse. I've had more non paying dead beats or complainers than I've ever had anywhere else.

It's just not worth it for me.

All my books come from ebay. Believe me, I spend hours looking thru tons of auctions. You have to weed out all the potential disasters 1 auction at a time. Luckily the majority are such bad graders that I just take one look, say nope, not a VF comic with a giant subscription crease down the middle, and move on to the next. It does get tiresome though.

All my books come from ebay. Believe me, I spend hours looking thru tons of auctions. You have to weed out all the potential disasters 1 auction at a time. Luckily the majority are such bad graders that I just take one look, say nope, not a VF comic with a giant subscription crease down the middle, and move on to the next. It does get tiresome though.

My way is much easier. I have about 5 or 6 guys that I buy from on here,one specializes in mags,one silver etc.I PM them and give them my want list,they answer back that they either have it or will find it at some point,easy.I know that they have the best books,and I don't get F-ed in the process because I trust these guys. (thumbs u

My way is much easier. I have about 5 or 6 guys that I buy from on here,one specializes in mags,one silver etc.I PM them and give them my want list,they answer back that they either have it or will find it at some point,easy.I know that they have the best books,and I don't get F-ed in the process because I trust these guys. (thumbs u

Do you get a lot of good deals this way? Or are you paying close to market with the standard 10-20% discount depending upon how much you buy?

Do you get a lot of good deals this way? Or are you paying close to market with the standard 10-20% discount depending upon how much you buy?

Of course I do! The best thing about buying here,and getting to know great board members is the books always seem to be better than described.I know crazy,right! Not like Ebay where everything is worse than described. :cool:

I also post in the WTB thread and have found many books for fair pricing here.

I'd rather pay closer to market value for something that I know will be right instead of trying to get a deal on ebay and get ripped off.

Clearly, lots of people still use eBay...it's just not for me and my personality.

Never, never buy raw comics on eBay

Thanks. That leaves more deals for the rest of us. (thumbs u

+1

I have no problem buying raw off eBay, but usually from reputable sellers that I have established a degree of trust in over the years. I am willing to try new sellers too, but seller feedback is very important in my decision

I also post in the WTB thread and have found many books for fair pricing here.

I'd rather pay closer to market value for something that I know will be right instead of trying to get a deal on ebay and get ripped off.

Clearly, lots of people still use eBay...it's just not for me and my personality.

I'm with ya on that Marc.I can't stand the buy it,return it,get a refund wildly_fanciful_statement.I want to pay for great books,get em and not have to deal with that other BS. (thumbs u

I don't think that's the case if you're buying from the right people. The legit dealers will make it right. Two "case in points":

-I bought a book from a well known dealer that I ended up having graded more than a year after I bought it. It came back PLOD. I contacted the dealer, told him what happened, and had my money refunded.

-I bought a book from another well known dealer with the caveat that if it came back PLOD I would expect a refund. Dealer agreed to that and I bought the book It came back Blue, so I didn't have to return. the agreement was in place though.

There are plenty of great dealers out there. Just make sure you have the expectations set.

A dealer with a good reputation will be safe to buy from, but even he could mistakenly sell a restored book unknowingly. Of course a dealer with a good reputation would be willing to make it right, just saying.

But if you're looking for a specific comic and are buying from a stranger, doesn't matter if the stranger is on eBay or at SDCC, it might be restored.