• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck R. SDCC FDQ Exit?

305 posts in this topic

Chuck: It's more profitable to sell 100 burgers for $2 each than one burger for $10....or no burgers.....

What about 100 burgers for $10 each?

Add in 100 sodas for $2 each. The sodas are the real money maker anyway.

Yeah - and with the Mile High II collection, it's not like it hadn't been passed around the block.

By Chuck's own admission (also in Tales From the Database) it had already been offered to basically all the major East Coast dealers, all of whom passed because it was clearly composed of illegal affidavit returns -- the result of massive fraud and embezzlement by the mob.

Chuck was perhaps unique in having the smarts to approach the FBI directly to get their sign-off before receiving the stolen goods.

Yeah - and with the Mile High II collection, it's not like it hadn't been passed around the block.

By Chuck's own admission (also in Tales From the Database) it had already been offered to basically all the major East Coast dealers, all of whom passed because it was clearly composed of illegal affidavit returns -- the result of massive fraud and embezzlement by the mob.

Chuck was perhaps unique in having the smarts to approach the FBI directly to get their sign-off before receiving the stolen goods.

Wait what? Link please...

Wait what? Link please...

Ditto that. Linky!

yep-- and even then he found a way to tell the story in such a way that it made the underhanded nature of the deal all fall on the guys son --

lets also not forget that he pretty much committed fraud with the bank to get his money for that deal as well (or as Chuck would call it-- incredible business acumen)

I think the real problem is how some dealers have been practicing the same old selling strategy since day 1. You need to adjust with the market and that means doing better market research on what will actually sell versus having a huge wall full of nothing nobody wants (i.e. 50 variants of that tacky Justice Flag Variant, etc.).

I think the Comic Madness booth is a good example of what the affordable consumer is looking to spend for despite selling nothing but Modern Issues. The line continuously moves, people continuously order back issues they need, and there's no inflated silver/bronze/copper to the mercy of cinema/OSPG/GPA. Straightforward business IMO.

Older dealers: start giving away stuff, start inducing something to make your booth actually interesting other than having large quantities with the typical retailer/clothing store jive of inflated price tags with 30-50% off signs. Do a raffle, have something of common interest to the new age consumer who can't afford your $200+ books that have no immediate significance to this younger generation.

As for limited edition prints, dealers have the same ability to do their own. I saw a few of Conquest Comics prints at the con being signed at the J Scott Campbell booth. To each his own strategy for making certain product 'limited' aside from merely saying "this is the last one left/we only have __ left" I mean come onn, I feel like I heard every trick in the book today from the average car salesman comic book dealer.

Or skip the whole pop-culture schtick, celebrities and the 1-2K tables..., and go back to having actual comic conventions, where the focus is....., buying and selling comics.

This is the first time in 12+ years I haven't gone to SDCC,I have more fun at Terry O'Neil's small show in Yorba Linda.Bonus no crowds and I don't have to spend 600.00 a night for a hotel. :)

Busted Flush and I ended a 25 year run this year; similar reasons. Escalating ticket, hotel and food prices and a dwindling supply of old comics. Wonder Con, Long Beach, and Yorba Linda (especially Yorba Linda) are all great alternatives. I may check out Comikaze this year too.

Goodbye San Diego, I don't know you anymore!

You could not get me to go to this or any of the big conventions. I am about the comics and dont like these type of shows. I think its great that people enjoy them. but I have zero interest. I go to small shows and enjoy just comic books etc.

As for good ole chuck. Sounds like hes not happy he cant make a profit . I unlike some here dont pay him much attention , dont hate him as he is a business man and hes about making money and not comics but seems like karma to me. I barley ever buy from his online store as I have seen here how books are graded and see the prices and usually just leave. He has a right to ask what he wants but I also have the right to stay far away. Dont think anyone will miss him at SD.

Got Mile High's Con Report #3 e-wail and someone's not to happy.

"...may need to end after this year's show closes tomorrow evening. I have not yet found the courage to reach my final decision, but my best estimate is that, at our current rate of sales, we will suffer a loss of $10,000 at this year's show."

And the primary complaint--

"In a nutshell, the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income left in the room to sustain us."

The greed and avarice of comics fans? Wow. I guess that's one way to warm up to your customer base.

He was writing his con-report when I took this shot...

B0307338-7B49-4071-9AF2-D934DF4032AF_zpsvfrnp8qx.jpg

Cat-Man on the spot reporting as it happens! lol

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

San Diego Comic Con Variants - 36 Hours Only

booth.jpg

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

San Diego Comic Con Variants - 36 Hours Only

booth.jpg

Hmm, seems like a completely necessary use of space....

booth.jpg

From looking at this wall I am sure any dealer would have a very difficult time selling only books from the last 2-3 years. Even more so when you think about what prices he might be asking even with 50% off.

booth.jpg

From looking at this wall I am sure any dealer would have a very difficult time selling only books from the last 2-3 years. Even more so when you think about what prices he might be asking even with 50% off.

Yeah what is that? 5 columns of Adventure time books and everything else is variants and new releases?

He seemed to be fine with Exclusives prior to the butthurt in later newsletters. Flipping away like any other con-flipper.

"ROCKET RACCOON #1 SKOTTIE YOUNG B&W VARIANT - SDCC 2014 EDITION

Limited to 5,000 copies. $9.95"

"SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #47 - SDCC 2014 EDITION

Limited to 5,000 copies. $9.95

"Also, please be aware that we have only 8 HARLEY QUINN statues available at the $200 price point, and I will need to drive those statues back to Denver by Wednesday. FYI, I already saw an eBay buy-it-now listing last evening for the statue at $260. Lots of fans are now paying their convention costs by flipping con exclusives immediately... "

Mile High Comics = Overgraded & Overpriced

My friends and I avoid them at all conventions. It always turns out to be a waste of time. I can't believe he is still in business with the bad reputation he has held for so many years.

With that said, SD con has become very overcrowded and hard to find a deal. I only bought a handful of books when I went a couple years ago. A big change from the early 90's when it was a wonderland of books and deals. However I do love seeing the talent and getting some good autographs and sketches.

Chuck is a dinosaur living in a world of crocodiles.

I've spoken with him a few times across the past 14 years regarding the

direction of what should really be referred to now as the San Diego Cinema Con.

and the need to adapt to the changing landscape.

Couple this failure with a highly questionable pricing structure on his material and

throw in a basic misunderstanding of who the current attendee is at SDCC, it's

not hard to understand why he faces this predicament.

This IS NOT a Comic Con. It is a pop culture show with the bulk of attendees

there for the world of film, tv and toy. It has also become a place to see and be

seen with limited spending among this group.