• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck R. SDCC FDQ Exit?

305 posts in this topic

He's irritated that the concept of short-run variant printing has finally stopped being lucrative, because everyone else has gotten on the bandwagon?

The big difference I see between now and 1994 is that in 1994 people bought this stuff because they thought it was worth something. In 2014, I think people buy this stuff because they have money to spend and don't care that it's valueless.

I mean that as an observation, not to be snarky.

Chuck is a dinosaur living in a world of crocodiles.

I've spoken with him a few times across the past 14 years regarding the

direction of what should really be referred to now as the San Diego Cinema Con.

and the need to adapt to the changing landscape.

Couple this failure with a highly questionable pricing structure on his material and

throw in a basic misunderstanding of who the current attendee is at SDCC, it's

not hard to understand why he faces this predicament.

This IS NOT a Comic Con. It is a pop culture show with the bulk of attendees

there for the world of film, tv and toy. It has also become a place to see and be

seen with limited spending among this group.

I understand the complaint, but still, isn't most of what is discussed still comic related? I'm seeing a lot of Marvel and DC news. Is there other news that isn't related?

I understand the complaint, but still, isn't most of what is discussed still comic related? I'm seeing a lot of Marvel and DC news. Is there other news that isn't related?

I think that in a broader since it is more about the actors in and those famous who lend a hand in creating the properties than the actual properties themselves. You go to SDCC because you enjoy RDJ and the Ironman/Averngers movies; not because you enjoy Loeb, Bendis, or Hickman writing an avengers comic book.

Edit: Is it all comic related "maybe". It is comic related to those who read comic books but for everyone else it is the spectacle of a popular franchise (the difference between any written book and its movie).

And the primary complaint--

"In a nutshell, the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income left in the room to sustain us."

The greed and avarice of comics fans? Wow. I guess that's one way to warm up to your customer base.

Chuck is a dinosaur living in a world of crocodiles.

I've spoken with him a few times across the past 14 years regarding the

direction of what should really be referred to now as the San Diego Cinema Con.

and the need to adapt to the changing landscape.

Couple this failure with a highly questionable pricing structure on his material and

throw in a basic misunderstanding of who the current attendee is at SDCC, it's

not hard to understand why he faces this predicament.

+1

It's basic food chain dynamics, and a very, very old story. There's a change in the environment, the prey moves on to feed in new pastures but the predator can't follow them, it begins to starve, and suddenly senses that it's the most vulnerable link in that chain. The prey couldn't (and shouldn't) care less about its viability, their face is still being fed using other sources, their needs still being met.

Doesn't matter if you're talking about a Smilodon or a Chuckles. It's happened many, many times before.

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

San Diego Comic Con Variants - 36 Hours Only

booth.jpg

Okay, huh.....what? The first post says he's losing his shirt, then the link above here says his sales are up and things are humming along fine. Which is it?

He's irritated that the concept of short-run variant printing has finally stopped being lucrative, because everyone else has gotten on the bandwagon?

The big difference I see between now and 1994 is that in 1994 people bought this stuff because they thought it was worth something. In 2014, I think people buy this stuff because they have money to spend and don't care that it's valueless.

I mean that as an observation, not to be snarky.

lol:idea: Sums it up!!!! :idea:lol

Okay, huh.....what? The first post says he's losing his shirt, then the link above here says his sales are up and things are humming along fine. Which is it?

You have to read Chuck's newsletters like this:

We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Mile High Comics = Overgraded & Overpriced

My friends and I avoid them at all conventions. It always turns out to be a waste of time. I can't believe he is still in business with the bad reputation he has held for so many years.

The chickens may finally be coming home to roost. His business acumen isn't really the best. I think he's had several very lucky breaks in his life despite that. I almost feel sorry for him.

I buy a lot of comics online. Maybe not every week, but multiple times a month.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I went to Mile High's website. It has been at least a decade.

I learned very early on his prices were ridiculous, and it was a waste of my time to even browse there.

He's mad because people are lining up to buy new stuff directly from creators instead of buying the old overpriced mess he acquired in the parking lot that morning for a ten thousand percent markup.

Poor Chuck didn't make $1200 an hour.

Poor Chuck has SEVEN dealer booths at SDCC.

Poor Chuck probably bought a million comics this week at the event.

I do hope that the valid points Chuck makes aren't completely tossed out with the bathwater..

:whistle:

Go see my post regarding the rising cost of SDCC exhibitor fees. When Hasbro and Lego say, "Our budget can only support going to SDCC or a few other shows in the US and we choose SDCC.", that is a concern considering that both companies used to attend additional shows that they are notable absent at.

Lego last appeared at NYCC in 2012.

Hasbro last appeared at NYCC in 2011 but hosted a panel in 2012. They would exhibit to a select few reporters in a private office rented out elsewhere in Manhattan staying away from the JCC. This year they have no presence scheduled at all. As SDCC prices have increased they are dropping attendance at other shows or scaling back in order to maintain their presence in SD.

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

San Diego Comic Con Variants - 36 Hours Only

booth.jpg

If he don't like SDCC variants why does he have one of his own?

I do hope that the valid points Chuck makes aren't completely tossed out with the bathwater..

Go see my post regarding the rising cost of SDCC exhibitor fees. When Hasbro and Lego say, "Our budget can only support going to SDCC or a few other shows in the US and we choose SDCC.", that is a concern considering that both companies used to attend additional shows that they are notable absent at.

Hasbro last appeared at NYCC in 2011 but hosted a panel in 2012. They would exhibit to a select few reporters in a private office rented out elsewhere in Manhattan staying away from the JCC. This year they have no presence scheduled at all. As SDCC prices have increased they are dropping attendance at other shows or scaling back in order to maintain their presence in SD.

You sum up the reality Mile High faces. SD has evolved into a HUGE multi-platform pop culture event. CES, E3, American International Toy Fair, like that.

Attendees and reporters aren't there for Mile High, who has a 24/7 online presence. They're there for Exclusives, Unveilings, Announcements, Sneak Peeks, Previews, Sightings and Signings.

It is what it is.

You sum up the reality Mile High faces. SD has evolved into a HUGE multi-platform pop culture event. CES, E3, American International Toy Fair, like that.

Attendees and reporters aren't there for Mile High, who has a 24/7 online presence. They're there for Exclusives, Unveilings, Announcements, Sneak Peeks, Previews, Sightings and Signings.

It is what it is.

Oh absolutely... but to me, it raises an eyebrow when a company like Hasbro or Lego say that SDCC is outpricing their budget for cons. If Hasbro cannot handle the fees, how does Metropolis even do it?

Gotcha. (thumbs u

Large international companies are probably reassessing venues constantly. Factoring "bang for the buck" public exposure against budget.

Chuck seems to be playing the "seniority" card, like those around him should first consider their impact on his sales, above all else, because Back Issues.

I don't think it's all that valid to complain that people are buying brand new merchandise directly from creators rather than buying old drek from flippers. He thinks it will kill the direct market, I think creators actually getting paid is what will keep it alive.