• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Max - Fury Road - 2015

230 posts in this topic

AoU is nap worthy.

I've seen Fury Road 4 times.

Sleep apnea centers worldwide have now been well stocked.

5 minutes into Fury Road and I was falling asleep. Thankfully the incessant loud explosions kept bringing me back around during the whole torturous time.

I loved Fury Road. I think the best part for me was when he leans over Furiosa and says "Max, my name is Max". I almost cried.

On the other hand its still yet another franchise movie, and that seems to be the context in which all these movies are judged, they are all inevitably fanboy movies, judged finally by fanboys, and the makers know this and it limits their potential.

I think Fury Road a better movie than SW largely because I felt in FR the director was not as painfully constricted by fan considerations as SW, where I never lost the feeling that every single detail had been plotted out based on market surveys.

I felt in Fury Road that the director just went with it, despite the limitations of a franchise.

Watched this last night.

I'm not a fan of the original Mad Max stuff...figured I'd give it a try.

I pretty much hated it from beginning to end. I can see the imagined depth and feministic views purported all over the net, though all I saw was a long, kinda crappy chase scene lasting a couple hours.

Yep...nope.

Yeah, worst movie I saw last year.

I can understand this. The movie is now critically acclaimed (which personally means nothing to me) but will still not work for everyone. I think it's one of the top five movies of 2015 and one of the best action movies of the last decade. Box office and critics mean nothing to me though. Star Wars TFA, Jurassic World and Avengers don't even make my top five for this year.

It's one of my favorites as well, but I tend to gravitate towards stronger feminist movies (Let The Right One In, Winter's Bone, Frozen, etc) after growing up in the rock 'em sock 'em testosterone-laden 80's. To see a revisionist take on an 80's franchise like Mad Max and have a female lead dominate it with the reliable main male character was the right kind of direction to make this old toy seem like new. No disrespect to Tina Turner's Auntie from the third one, but her character seemed to jettisoned by the third act. This movie might also be visually spectacular, but you "feel" it as well. Charlize deserves another nom for her risky role (appearance and motivations) that will trailblaze for women in action films for years to come. She needs some kind of acknowledgement. :applause:

...and what comeback for George Miller to turn his old drive-in type movies into an operatic masterpiece of the human condition while existing in a purgatory. (worship)

A best director prize seems totally possible for the "Babe" director.

AoU is nap worthy.

5 minutes into Fury Road and I was falling asleep. Thankfully the incessant loud explosions kept bringing me back around during the whole torturous time.

I am in the "hated it" camp.

In a world where fuel is supposed to be precious and hard to come by ( see Mad Max 2 ) they drive these silly and outlandishly huge vehicles on a long chase of stupidity. I hated the rock stage truck with the ridiculous guitar player that shoots flames.

Everything to me was so over the top that I thought Joel Schumacher directed it.

AoU is nap worthy.

I am in the "hated it" camp.

In a world where fuel is supposed to be precious and hard to come by ( see Mad Max 2 ) they drive these silly and outlandishly huge vehicles on a long chase of stupidity. I hated the rock stage truck with the ridiculous guitar player that shoots flames.

Everything to me was so over the top that I thought Joel Schumacher directed it.

Precisely lol

Edited by Comicopolis

I think the movie looks really good, and I like that it feels like there is real weight and movement in the action scenes, and I think it's one of those action types of movies that probably merit its hovering around critical acclaim, but the further I get from it I find myself admiring it more than loving it (I do like it).

By that I mean I'm not someone inclined to like Mad Max, and while I'm a fan of speculative fiction, this isn't really my brand, so to get me to come out of the theater somewhat blown away at what I saw was a marvel by Miller.

I like the cast too... it's just... man I just don't really give a mess about Mad Max, and when you couple that with this being a movie that I feel loses a lot when not in the theater, it doesn't feel like a classic in terms of a rewatch, but its was definitely a good initial theater experience.

I do admire Hardy and Theron for being actors who try just about anything and bringing it.

George Miller Not Done With Mad Max After All

Miller tells the Wrap that previous reports claiming that he as done with his post-apocalyptic film franchise misquoted him, and that he has at least two more Mad Max movies still in him.

“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review,” he said. “She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another Mad Max movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another Mad Max. It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

:whee:

Just having a break from watching it for the first time on Blu-Ray. I'm about half way through and my opinions are, maybe, quite biased by having just had a couple of glasses of wine and being slightly buzzed. It's an excellent action film ; great direction, camera angles, cinematography, pacing. Basically one long action scene and so far it's kicking arse.

Petrol is quite unstable and would deteriorate rapidly, and it is extremely unlikely that enough would be available to run vehicles of the size and weight seen in the film but, after all, it is fantasy.

Just having a break from watching it for the first time on Blu-Ray. I'm about half way through and my opinions are, maybe, quite biased by having just had a couple of glasses of wine and being slightly buzzed. It's an excellent action film ; great direction, camera angles, cinematography, pacing. Basically one long action scene and so far it's kicking arse.

Petrol is quite unstable and would deteriorate rapidly, and it is extremely unlikely that enough would be available to run vehicles of the size and weight seen in the film but, after all, it is fantasy.

?

Gastown, which is shown to be a couple of miles away, supplies the gas in exchange for water and mother's milk as far as i can tell (maybe food too).. I guess it is similar to Road Warrior where there is fortress town with an oil well and I guess they refine it there (or maybe everyone runs on diesel).

It isn't clear to me, but the head of Gastown (the fat guy with the nipple rings/chains) and the head of the farmers (ranchers?) (the old guy who gets blinded) are Immortan Joe's brother's? One of them refers to him as brother, but i guess that might not be literal.

Of course, Immortan Joe just looks like Lord Humungous from Road Warrior 20 or 30 years later with some tumors and what not, but I think they have made it clear that is not supposed to be him (L.H. died, but do you really know someone has died until you see their head removed from their body?)

I can't figure out what the 500 or so people who live at the foot of Immortan Joe's citadel eat. They get some water now and then, but there can only be so many bugs and lizards in the desert one can snag, particularly as most of them look about 80 and are missing limbs. Then again, I suppose the aboriginal folks figure it out.

Edited by the blob

Six Oscar wins.

:applause:

BEST FILM EDITING

THE BIG SHORT

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

THE REVENANT

SPOTLIGHT

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

THE 100-YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT A WINDOW AND DISAPPEARED

THE REVENANT

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

BRIDGE OF SPIES

THE DANISH GIRL

THE MARTIAN

THE REVENANT

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

CAROL

CINDERELLA

THE DANISH GIRL

THE REVENANT

BEST SOUND EDITING

THE MARTIAN

THE REVENANT

SICARIO

BEST SOUND MIXING

BRIDGE OF SPIES

THE MARTIAN

THE REVENANT

I think consensus going in would have been that if Fury Road didn't get recognized it would show the irrelevance of the Oscars, not the opposite. Mad Max was definitely the sort of outsider movie out of the group that was up for the major awards - being more a crowd pleaser type of film.

I feel like, no matter if someone liked it or not, it was this year's non-hipster/artsy/truestory movie nominated that the Oscars like to add every now and then.

I can totally see why it would be appreciated technically though. I forgot what podcast it was but I heard someone call it the best movie without a story ever.

I feel like Fury Road is the most un-Oscary (which sometimes means good) of the nominees.