• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Max - Fury Road - 2015

230 posts in this topic

International Film Critics Vote 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Year's Best Film

George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road is the surprise choice for best film of the year, as chosen by the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI).

Miller beat out three other finalists for the best film honor: Laszlo Nemes’ Son of Saul, Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s The Assassin and Jafar Panahi’s Taxi. The 2015 best film award was selected from among films that premiered after July 1, 2014. 493 FIPRESCI members – all international film critics -- voted for the award.

:applause:

Picked up my copy tonight (Best Buy). 90 minutes of Special Features! :o

You evil wood peeing man, you.

(:

I just took a whiz on a snowy egret and I feel good about it. Let me know how those bathroom lines are. (thumbs u

lol

Just watched this movie for the first time.

Outstanding!

Indeed it is. The entire time I was watching this I was thinking "George Miller needs to direct that Cursed Earth Dredd sequel".

I could see someone reading the majority of what was posted here, and assuming there was going to be some impactful dialogue, deep character development and witty statements. So if someone went into the movie expecting that, you've gone to the wrong movie.

But there was this amazing mix of overpowering scenery that complemented the story, wild and tainted characters that had something which made them stand out (even the brief appearances), scenarios where you could picture society being this twisted post-apocalypse, and a non-stop flow of action where you blood was pumping throughout. That's where this movie stands out from others. And with the successful portrayal of Max Rockatansky by Tom Hardy making him a natural to step into this role, and the introduction of someone like Furiosa played by Charlize Theron that played very well alongside Hardy (and at many times topped his scenes), it made for a superb action-adventure-sci fi film.

It was worth watching at least once. Though I could see watching it again.

Not even that.

Reviews by boardies promised the greatest action film in recent years.

I enjoyed the movie, I would see it again and I hope to have a Blu-ray boxset of all the movies.

However, for me, it did not live up to the promise by said boardies. And again, for me, I preferred The Road Warrior overall.

Edited by Bane

Just watched this movie for the first time.

Outstanding!

Indeed it is. The entire time I was watching this I was thinking "George Miller needs to direct that Cursed Earth Dredd sequel".

Same here :grin:

It's my favorite film of 2015 (so far :popcorn: )

Sounds like you three have great taste (you guys like Fury Road, Tom Brady, Dredd). Can't wait to watch it tomorrow. I can't tonight as I chasing around a beaver from Europe before the Pats game.

I can't think of a better action movie in the last decade that did it as well as this. Brainless Transformers or Fast and Furious action have never done it for me. Fury Road was just an action ballet love letter to the 80's that seemed to get it right, especially in timing.

Even the 'road band' scenes were really crazy-entertaining.

I can't post it here at the moment (blocked) but the Legacy trailer I've seen before is the perfect example blending the old with the new seamlessly.

This one?

Don't know, can't see it lol

Just a big space under what you wrote. But if it shows Gibson in the beginning, that's it.

:acclaim:

For anyone interested here are the behind-the-scenes special features they released on youtube. So amazing to watch and gives you even MORE respect for the movie after seeing how much skill went into the production of it (they built THREE war rigs!!?!!)

About the filming and FX -

All the cars!!! -

I can't think of a better action movie in the last decade that did it as well as this. Brainless Transformers or Fast and Furious action have never done it for me. Fury Road was just an action ballet love letter to the 80's that seemed to get it right, especially in timing.

Even the 'road band' scenes were really crazy-entertaining.

That got on my nerves.

That got on my nerves.

Oh, I know. Even the silver spray paint being used on the lips.

But it was done in a way to show how Immortan Joe had built this society that encouraged dying for him in battle, including the lore that if you did this you would go to Valhalla and live again. So like the warriors of old, using loud musical instruments to build their blood up and paint in the mouth like the Viking Berserkers that supposedly used drugs with psychoactive properties to charge into battle wildly.

The overall story George Miller was telling, including hints at how that society was maintained so Immortan Joe was seen to be god-like and powerful, was expertly crafted and unfortunately believable. In a post-apocalypse world, something crazy like that could happen when people are desperate.

Four Stars out of four.

This was a unique vision that George Miller somehow maintained from the 80's, despite changing his main star. Tom Hardy gives us a "new" Max that he makes his own. Charlize Theron reminds us why she is an Oscar-winning actress by making the movie hers.

The set pieces will give you anxiety watching them as they just continue to surprise one turn after the next. When Zoe Kravitz was pulled from the vehicle, my heart almost stopped. Main actors are put in mortal danger constantly and you realize you could lose them at any moment. Just like that.

Roger Ebert, one of the biggest supporters of the Max films would have loved this movie.

In my opinion, this movie doesn't surpass The Road Warrior so much as it becomes a worthy equal. Hopefully we can get another one.