• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC case damage, and it's impact on value.

31 posts in this topic

I recently saw a Saga #1, variant CGC 9.8 on eBay (it has since sold, it appears).....that had a very very small hairline crack in the corner of the CGC case, and I was curious as to what kind of impact that might have on the value of it overall.

All the sellers want all us buyers to think it is no big deal, and it does not affect the value of the book, but if it was truly so easy to fix, why don't they fix it before they list it for sale? I would not buy any CGC book with case damage. I don't want to wait to get it, then package it back up and send it in to CGC to be, hopefully, fixed, in a month or two or three or four, all the while taking the risk that it will be damaged again in shipping either to CGC, by CGC, or on the way back from CGC. And if your time is worth anything, you can't do it for less than $50 minimum.

All the sellers want all us buyers to think it is no big deal, and it does not affect the value of the book, but if it was truly so easy to fix, why don't they fix it before they list it for sale? I would not buy any CGC book with case damage. I don't want to wait to get it, then package it back up and send it in to CGC to be, hopefully, fixed, in a month or two or three or four, all the while taking the risk that it will be damaged again in shipping either to CGC, by CGC, or on the way back from CGC. And if your time is worth anything, you can't do it for less than $50 minimum.

Bill, one answer to this question might be that the seller is overseas. If I had a cracked slab that I wanted to sell, It would probably cost me $50 in shipping, plus the reholder fee, to get it sorted out pre-sale. Not to mention the time that would take.

In my opinion, none. As long as the inner well hasn't been breached or damaged, the case itself is irrelevant. :)

Man, it'd be great if more people took that approach. You're right - the only time a case should be a problem is if the crack detracts from the comic. Corner cracks (for me) aren't really a big deal.

However, for someone wanting to send it back in for a reholder - it's a total pain. I understand that angle of it, too.

In my opinion, none. As long as the inner well hasn't been breached or damaged, the case itself is irrelevant. :)

Man, it'd be great if more people took that approach. You're right - the only time a case should be a problem is if the crack detracts from the comic. Corner cracks (for me) aren't really a big deal.

However, for someone wanting to send it back in for a reholder - it's a total pain. I understand that angle of it, too.

It won't be the total pain unless CGC didn't pack the books properly. They sent me the labels and replaced them with the new reholders without a single problem.

That's just hilarious :roflmao: (but not unexpected). :sumo: You are entitled to buy whatever you choose. My only advice would be, "Buy the book, not the label," and that applies to the slab as well.

I understand that slab collectors are ridiculously particular about everything. :insane: But seriously? They just need to grow up. :grin:

That's just hilarious :roflmao: (but not unexpected). :sumo: You are entitled to buy whatever you choose. My only advice would be, "Buy the book, not the label," and that applies to the slab as well.

I understand that slab collectors are ridiculously particular about everything. :insane: But seriously? They just need to grow up. :grin:

Yes, silly me- paying a premium for a CGC graded book and wanting it to not be damaged. I guess I don't get the 'buy the book not the label' group- why buy any CGC books at all if the label doesn't matter? Divad, one of the major posters who for some reason feels the need to attack everyone else's opinion (insecurity?) has many CGC books, based on his signature. I imagine when he receives one with a cracked slab, he justs shrugs and moves on? If so, that must be rough bunch of books he has.

Yes, silly me- paying a premium for a CGC graded book and wanting it to not be damaged. I guess I don't get the 'buy the book not the label' group- why buy any CGC books at all if the label doesn't matter? Divad, one of the major posters who for some reason feels the need to attack everyone else's opinion (insecurity?) has many CGC books, based on his signature. I imagine when he receives one with a cracked slab, he justs shrugs and moves on? If so, that must be rough bunch of books he has.

Yes, silly you. Never once sold a cracked slab. Only once received one. The label doesn't matter, the opinion does. As to insecurities, I think you've exhibited yours. :hi:

Oh and btw, I don't think I own more than 10 slabs. :baiting:

Yes, silly you. Never once sold a cracked slab. Only once received one. The label doesn't matter, the opinion does. As to insecurities, I think you've exhibited yours. :hi:

Wait-- does you signature line not show 96? Which statement is not true?

You really are a doofus - it's not my data, it's CGC's.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

I'm reading the same stuff you are. We must be from different planets. :facepalm:

All the sellers want all us buyers to think it is no big deal, and it does not affect the value of the book, but if it was truly so easy to fix, why don't they fix it before they list it for sale?

I sense hostility. I've seen many auctions where the seller lists a book with a cracked case and is selling the book at a discount because of said case.

If we all justify a CGC book's base price over an equivalent raw copy showing a significant difference above the raw price of an equivalent raw copy's assumed grade due to the grade and restoration verification it provides, but also clearly the built in grading/slabbing/shipping costs ($18-35) then any defect like a crack, major scratch, or defect to the end product (case and comic) should merit a price reduction of that graded book.

My reasoning being that it is both the 3rd party assurance + the presentation and condition of the slab that is being purchased. If compared between 2 CGC comics of the same grade and eye-appeal with one having a perfect case and the other having an imperfection on the case, should one be expected to pay the same price for either?

If we all justify a CGC book's base price over an equivalent raw copy showing a significant difference above the raw price of an equivalent raw copy's assumed grade due to the grade and restoration verification it provides, but also clearly the built in grading/slabbing/shipping costs ($18-35) then any defect like a crack, major scratch, or defect to the end product (case and comic) should merit a price reduction of that graded book.

My reasoning being that it is both the 3rd party assurance + the presentation and condition of the slab that is being purchased. If compared between 2 CGC comics of the same grade and eye-appeal with one having a perfect case and the other having an imperfection on the case, should one be expected to pay the same price for either?

One should not.

divad: your signature line says you claim 41 competitive registry sets that include 96 slabs. I'm not sure if these are slabs you've owned at one time but no longer do, or what, but it's right there in your signature and the only way stuff gets in there is if you put it there, not CGC.

As to the topic, I have no problem buying a slab that has a little hairline crack, or even a fairly major crack, as long as it's far away from the inner well. This is where "buy the book, not the label" comes into play. As long as the portion with the comic in it is unbroken, and the label can't have been switched, the grade and authenticity are unchanged. Of course, if I were looking at two otherwise identical books, I'd take the one in the better slab but I wouldn't complain about getting the one with the chipped top.

I don't like it when someone offers 12.00 to compensate for cracked slab. The shipping back and forth will surely cost a lot more than that. Also, people don't seem to realize that CGC will not always simply reholder the book. If their is enough damage to the outer well, especially to a post, they will need to regrade it.