• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's 2014 Dealer Rankings

107 posts in this topic

Meanwhile, I'm resisting the urge to tell an anecdote from a Wizard World Boston con that would probably drop one of the dealers off the list entirely... but this isn't a bashing thread. :angel:

:gossip: You can't make a statement like that and not expound. We deserve to know. :baiting:

PM sent. I'm being good today :)

Another year, another misspelling of my name! :acclaim:

:roflmao:

You are on the island of misfit dealers. Maybe this year Santa Brian will come.

How do you misspell Andy the Creepfella?

Thanks to Brian for another informative and balanced report...great work, mate. :applause:

Thanks also for his kind words and also the words of many of the boarders. :foryou:

It's tough getting recognised your side of the pond, as most of our business is obviously conducted in the UK, so the willingness of many people to think 'outside the box' is much appreciated.

I'm also in broad agreement with a number of Brian's 'cons' regarding Comicana Direct and certainly, there are a few points he raised that we already have in the works to change. (thumbs u

And thanks also to the people that buy from us here and through the site...we wouldn't have made such progress without you all. (worship)

And the shipping boxes!!!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Brian, great read... loved it.

Among the "Honorable Mentions" who made a leap this year and is on the upswing?

Maybe a hobbyist who went pro in terms of selling? Or some someone who was small/local who moved into online sales?

Satan himself could be selling a book you've been looking for and people would still buy it, doesn't matter who you got it at the end of the day.

I checked and he deals only in Moderns.

Satan himself could be selling a book you've been looking for and people would still buy it, doesn't matter who you got it at the end of the day.

I checked and he deals only in Moderns.

I heard he was quite peeved when the red label was discarded.

:baiting:

Your list of sellers, while always a joy to read, really does me no good, as they don't carry the material I'm looking for. As a result, I'd hardly call them the top ten. Call this list what it is, the big money GA and SA Sellers list.

Ogami, I'm closer to your price range than Foolkiller's, but you want to see high end dealers at a show. They discount a lot of what the smaller dealers feature on their walls.

Meanwhile, I'm resisting the urge to tell an anecdote from a Wizard World Boston con that would probably drop one of the dealers off the list entirely... but this isn't a bashing thread. :angel:

My request would be to continue the list, at least #11-20. Nosebleeds are great, but I'm hoping there are a few people here looking for more pedestrian books.

On this point of extending the list, I'd consider doing it, but frankly I'm afraid it would sound more like a favorites list. I will say that for several years running, Dale Roberts has been #11. He'd make it in the top ten if he moves over to a website, which I hear he is doing.

But I like guys like Ted VanLiew and Dave Kapelka that I'd be continuously tempted to put them in 11-20 without even thinking about it. Jamie Graham deserves a spot probably then just based on inventory. It doesn't sound hard to do, but I really feel like I'm playing favorites then.

Foolkiller's 2014 Dealer Rankings

After taking a year off (mostly because I’m busy, but also because I got some fairly ridiculous blow back from a few dealers) I’ve decided to do the dealer ranking list this year. A number of board members and collectors said they found the list and discussion very helpful. I will go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses. However, as I review this year’s list, while there are some similarities, there have also been some changes.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in 2012’s rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a variety of folks. I liked 2012’s format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" – if I did, this list would look different -- but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

4) Activity in the Marketplace

5) Quality of the website

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

9) Acquisition of New Material (freshness of inventory)

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Harley Yee (Harley Yee Rare Comics)

Dave Kapelka (North Coast Nostalgia)

Richard Evans (Bedrock City)

Ben Lichtenstein (Zapp Comics)

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Dan Cusimano (Flying Donut Trading Company)

Bob Storms (Highgradecomics)

Greg Reece (Greg Reece's Rare Comics)

Metropolis (Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo) and Comic Connect

Heritage (Barry Sandoval, Lon Allen and Ed Jaster)

Worldwide (Steve Ritter)

Comiclink (Josh Nathanson)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Dave Reynolds (Dave's American Comics)

Dale Roberts (Dale Roberts’ Comics)

Jamie Graham (Graham Crackers)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Jeff Delaney (Detective27.com)

Jamie Newbold (SoCal Comics)

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Jeff Weaver (Victory Comics)

Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics)

Big Ben's

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics and Collectibles)

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Phil Schlaefer (Comic Collector Shop)

Sparkle City (Brian Schutzer)

Tomorrow's Treasures (Richie Muchin)

Jim Payette (Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics)

Shelton Drum (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Gary Platt (Adventure Planet)

Paradise Comics (Peter Dixon)

Vintage Comics (Roy Delic)

Comicana Direct (Nick Beckett)

Terry O'Neill (Terry's Comics)

All Select Comics (Mike Miles)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

Doug Sulipa (Doug's Comic World)

Robert Rogovin (Four Color Comics)

Greg Eide (Eide's Entertainment)

Marnin Rosenberg (Collector's Assemble)

Ron Pusell (Redbeard's Book Den)

Mile High Comics (Chuck Rozanski)

Lone Star Comics (Buddy Saunders)

Jef Hinds

Tony Starks (Comics in a Flash)

Steve Lauterbach (toychef on ebay)

Andrew Critella (GA Collectibles)

Dennis Keum (Fantasy Comics)

Bill Hughes

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Doug Schmell (Pedigreecomics)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality Comix)

House of Comics

John Hauser

David T. Alexander (DTA Collectibles)

Motor City Comics (Mike Goldman)

Gary Dolgoff (Gary Dolgoff's Comics)

Tom Gordon

HotFlips

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

John Haines (John Haines Rare Comics)

Silver Age Comics (Gus Poulakas)

John Veryzl (Comic Heaven)

Steve Geppi (Diamond International Galleries)

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bechara Maalouf (Investment Collectibles)

Phil Bellmore (Vermont Comics)

David Anderson (the Dentist, collector)

Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England)

Ed Robertson (Ed Robertson's Comics)

Rick Whitelock (New Force Comics)

The Bookery (Fairborn, Ohio)

Nelson Dodds

Get Cash for Comics (Will Mason)

Comics4Less

Hon. mentions to the following dealers:

Hon. mentions: Brent Moeshlin, Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Dave Kapelka, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Ted VanLiew, Richard Evans, Get Cash for Comics, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Sparkle City, Zapp Comics and Dave Reynolds

Can't believe I didn't make the list again. :frustrated:

Cool report.

I think it would be very interesting to see exactly how you came to your rankings. Like... An exact grading for each dealer within the category and what makes #3 better than #4 (for example).

It's kind of like you gave the final grade on the CGC slab but we want the graders notes for how you got there.

Note: I ain't paying for the notes ;)

Cool report.

I think it would be very interesting to see exactly how you came to your rankings. Like... An exact grading for each dealer within the category and what makes #3 better than #4 (for example).

It's kind of like you gave the final grade on the CGC slab but we want the graders notes for how you got there.

lol

I actually have thought about doing a top ten grader's list.

Would look a lot different than this list.

Cool report.

lol

I actually have thought about doing a top ten grader's list.

Would look a lot different than this list.

First off, thanks for your dealer list. An interesting read for sure.

I for one would LOVE to see the top ten graders list.

Your list of sellers, while always a joy to read, really does me no good, as they don't carry the material I'm looking for. As a result, I'd hardly call them the top ten. Call this list what it is, the big money GA and SA Sellers list.

Ogami, I'm closer to your price range than Foolkiller's, but you want to see high end dealers at a show. They discount a lot of what the smaller dealers feature on their walls.

My request would be to continue the list, at least #11-20. Nosebleeds are great, but I'm hoping there are a few people here looking for more pedestrian books.

On this point of extending the list, I'd consider doing it, but frankly I'm afraid it would sound more like a favorites list. I will say that for several years running, Dale Roberts has been #11. He'd make it in the top ten if he moves over to a website, which I hear he is doing.

But I like guys like Ted VanLiew and Dave Kapelka that I'd be continuously tempted to put them in 11-20 without even thinking about it. Jamie Graham deserves a spot probably then just based on inventory. It doesn't sound hard to do, but I really feel like I'm playing favorites then.

Dale Roberts, Richard Evans, Ted VanLiew and Bob Storms are easily on my top 4 dealers list, perhaps that's due to my personal like for each of them, but they do have an awfully good selection of books. And actually, each one of them should have something cool for your money, whether there's $20 or $20000 in your wallet. (For me it's always been at about the $20 level. $200 if it's the start of the con! :D)