• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you had to choose

42 posts in this topic

Depends on condition and price....

The action 7 is rarer but the tec 31 has more a publicized cover. You don't see posters of the Action cover but you see the detective image everywhere.

James G

By the end of 1938, DC had only produced three books that featured a superhero on the cover - one of them was Action #7.

And while he's not technically "flying" on the cover - it sure does look like it.

Action #7 all the way.

Fellow Collectors,

Torn between 2 books and would like to get your opinions which

would you choose. Action Comics 7 or Detective Comics 31?

Go for the 'Tec #31. And this is coming from a huge Superman collector. 'Tec #31 is arguably the greatest comic book cover of all time (forgive me Action #1).

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably sell a kidney to get my hands on an Action #7, but it's not even the second greatest cover in the early Action run. Yes, it's super rare and of inarguable importance, but based on recent activity, Action #13 seems far more explosive moving forward and is the better cover by far.

This to me seems like a good problem to have mt friend!!! GL with whichever you choose as both are awesome books...CGC census has 39 graded copies of Action #7 (23 blue label if you care) and 72 graded copies of Tec #31 (43 of which are universal) so almost twice as many.

The Heritage Tec is almost up to $28K (CGC 2.0) with a few days left...I would think depending on eye appeal as this is a major cover book the Tec is at least a 10-15 K a point book. (some of the other more seasoned boardies ie. GAtor may have a better guesstimate to this so dont quote me)

The Action #7 CGC 1.0 INCOMPLETE sale of over $32K seems to state that this book is gonna take a lot more dough to acquire all grades being equal

The Action is the second cover app of Superman and a classic IMHO and the TEC is considered by most to be THE epitome of classic funny book covers...

I say a WIN/WIN here for ya as both books are soooo in demand and both sport a lot of positives with really no downsides. Sorry as I didnt really answer your question but both are just so awesome and any collector should be proud to own either..I guess if I had to choose I would take the TEC #31 bc it would probably be cheaper and I am a huge cover guy...no knock on the Action though heck I want em' both...can that be an answer :grin:

I say if you want a good answer ask here ASK GAtor

Do you have a link to that Action #7 sale, Gino? I'm curious about it. What was missing? Covers intact? Especially after seeing an incomplete/coverless copy sell on Comiclink recently for $1500.

Also, I don't know what grade you're looking for in either of these books, but if you have $25 to $50k to drop on 'em, you're probably better off buying up as many low grade copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 as that can get you... wait 5-10 years, sell them and then have enough to afford both Action #7 and 'Tec #31. :grin:

This is a great question, which I believe comes down to one's criteria.

If you have a particular preference for Superman or Batman, it may be as simple as that.

But generally, I look at a few areas.

Rarity = Action #7

Cover = Tec #31

Story = Tec #31

Historical content = Tec #31

Success/appeal of character today = Tec #31 (Batman)

The story from Tec #31 features the 1st app. of Julie Madison (Wayne's first love interest), 1st app. of the Monk (Batman's first "super" villain), 1st app. of Batman's batarang (major part of Batman's lore) and 1st app. of the Bat-Gyro (precursor to the Batplane).

The story from Action #7 is a non-remarkable circus story. No super villain of any kind.

Personally, I LOVE the cover of Action #7 and I like it much more than Action #10, #13, etc. But with as cool as it is, it's still pretty much cover-only. Tec #31 sports one of the most famous images in comic book history and despite popular misconceptions, it's actually quite a bit more than cover-only.

Both seem expensive for what they are, but I prefer Batman to Superman, and can understand the classic cover demand that drives interest in Tec 31, independent of it's relative value to 27 and other pre- Robin Tecs. Action 7s value seems more driven by comparative scarcity and that it is the 2nd Superman cover, but as far as great covers go, Action 2 is my favorite of the early issues, and Action 10 my favorite of the early Superman covers.

I'd take the Tec 31...especially if you are a Batman over supe fan.

Financially, you can't loose with either.

You want the tougher book? Go for the action 7.

Better cover? Tec 31.

Better story? Tec 31

Earlier book? Action 7.

More "affordable" (I use that loosely) overall? Tec 31