• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Daredevil, Marvel's Batman?

93 posts in this topic

I always wondered why Daredevil isn't more popular, perhaps maybe the villains he fights against are not as intriguing as Batman's rogue gallery, except for Kingpin. He has always struck me as the gritty superhero in the Marvel universe much like Batman, but something just seems to be missing. Is it that Matt Murdock isn't as interesting as Bruce Wayne, would it help if they switched his costume from the color red to black? I think that the Netflix show is a step in the right direction in giving Daredevil some much needed mass exposure, granted that it is done right. But something seems to be missing.

Personally, I liked his yellow costume much more than the current red one.

Can't really pinpoint why he isnt that big, doesnt help that he really gained most of his popularity by issue 158 when Miller came aboard. it's almost like Daredevil is a little late to the party.

Maybe he doesnt have the cool toys that Batman does, his relationship to Black Widow and Electra is comparable to Batman and Catwoman/Poison Ivy so the "love interest" angle is there on both.

Fantastic point with Matt Murdock vs Bruce Wayne, I think that's definitley true. Maybe Wayne is more relatable, everyone wants to be a Billionaire, nobody wants to be blind?

I haven't got around to reading the first 5 or 6 DD TPB's but since Miller's run he's definitely griitier. I forgot he even shot Punisher during that run, something Batman has been allowed to do since the 30's. The majority of his villains early on have quite lame gimmicks. Miller took Bullseye who although was a killer from the start was kind of campy and made him and Kingpin DD's main villains.

You would think with the more successful movies being the more realistic heroes, Marvel would do something spectacular to turn this comic and follow-up movie around.

I think the complete outing of his secret identity was a one-trick pony. I thought it was always fun the way a hero had to do something to keep it secret. Batman has always been reinvigorated with new storylines, Hush, Knightfall, Court of Owls. DD hasn't had that kind of focus. Spider-Man seems to get a lot more of that attention for Marvel.

He has always been a b-level character. Maybe because he is blind and his alter ego is hard or even not attractive to identify with?

This makes me wonder if making the character blind which at first can be intriguing, look at how he can take out enemies even though he is blind, and look a those death defying stunts he can do. But I'm afraid this limits the character, for one thing he can't drive cool vehicles. I doubt he can be a detective like Batman which adds another level to the characters intrigue. He's basically a lawyer.

On the other hand, the character can still be recreated, I mean look at How Batman was before he became the Dark Knight, he was very very bad, even though I watched the 60s serial and movie when I was a kid, I could never go back to that, that's how amazing the transformation has been. I think Marvel may be too concerned with Spiderman and Xmen to care. Who could blame them, Spidey and Wolverine are probably the two most popular characters with. Batman and Superman (only god knows why Superman is popular, sorry guys :-) )

I always considered Moon Knight more of direct rip of the Dark Knight.

I like MK, but I agree with that. As far back as when I was 12 years old, people called MK Marvel's Batman.