• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Arizona Comicon Feb 13-15, 2015

139 posts in this topic

I had a great time. I thought the line-up was outstanding, and it was announced early enough that I was able to stock up on books for sigs. Off the top of my head, I saw at least 14 back issue dealers. Books were priced in the same ballpark as other conventions I've been to in the last year, and all the dealers were flexible. I didn't make any major purchases, just small stuff but I was still pulling books on Sunday afternoon. (thumbs u

and still a few more things-

STOKED the HOTFLIPS guys set-up on the floor. In the previous 4 years, we have not had a full fledged SUPPLIES DEALER on the floor. I know I was picking up top loaders and a few packs of bags and boards too!

THOM ZAHLER was complete gentleman-

I can't wait to work with him again at a future Amazing Comic Con event!

Couldn't agree more on Thom Zahler. We were as excited to see him as anyone. I passed on MacFarlane for personal reasons and did't see Capullo or Perez because I had no desire to stand in line. It is what it is.

JimmyJay, I know you worked your tail off to put this together so thank you! :hail:

IF I may be so bold and offer a suggestion/request, Gail Simone. Please please please, my wife and I would get tix just for her!

Good show overall, and I never compare this show to others like Phoenix, you explained the differences to me a while ago and your 100% correct. I consider Amazing Con's as "ComicCons", whereas others like Phoenix and especially San Diego are technically more "Pop Culture Cons"

See you next year!

The only reason I got tickets was because Neal Adams was supposed to be there but cancelled.

The artist alley was underwhelming and most of the dealers were crazy priced. We won't be return to this Con.

I don't think the dealer prices is anything exclusive to this con. Personally I see most dealers as grossly overpriced, and I do mean outrageously, grossly.

Some dealers are "a little" high on prices but not too bad.

And the rest of the dealers are Ed which is where we buy if I buy. :hail: as always sir

The only reason I got tickets was because Neal Adams was supposed to be there but cancelled.

The artist alley was underwhelming and most of the dealers were crazy priced. We won't be return to this Con.

I don't think the dealer prices is anything exclusive to this con. Personally I see most dealers as grossly overpriced, and I do mean outrageously, grossly.

Some dealers are "a little" high on prices but not too bad.

And the rest of the dealers are Ed which is where we buy if I buy. :hail: as always sir

First, I feel like I have worked very hard to replace a large portion of my inventory that was my personal collection. This has not been easy as nice collections do not fall from the trees. Additionally, it has become very competitive for key issues and many collectors only want keys meaning my prices have had to move more in line with most dealers (but still not as high).

I work to build long-term relationships and some of the posts in the thread support that; however, it is always gratifying to know I am not living in a cave and my efforts are appreciated.

As for the two cons in Phoenix, I feel they do have different vibes and some people prefer one over the other; however, Phoenix collectors should be very grateful that we have two well run shows when other markets struggle to support one. This show was not as good for us as last year or the Phoenix Con. I am hoping that is an anomaly as other comic sellers indicated their sales were down as well. If we want to continue to have two great shows, then we have to get the word out to more collectors/buyers to bring more new buyers to the shows. The alternative will be traveling out of state or buying on-line.

While any Comic convention will not please everyone, the alternative doesn't please anyone so let's keep building on what we have.

Lastly, thanks to Jimmy and Bill (and really to Holly) for a pretty smooth show with some impressive Comic talent. I am already committed to 2016.

Ed

Family and I drove down to the con mainly to see Capullo. He was the highlight for us. I wish a Walking Dead actor could have been at the con this year like Danai was last year. Hopefully Capullo AND Snyder can come out to Vegas in June!!! ;)

Jimmy,

Next year can you see about encouraging a Comic Art dealer to set up at the show? There has never been one at a con in Phx. I believe the dealer and you would be surprised at the interest in having one setting up. There are a more and more of us out there making the switch from comics to comic art. I did get a George Perez and Trimpe sketch, My daughter a got a few others. I would love to see some Bronze and older art hit the Phx marketplace.

My main complaint about the dealers and this is generalized is that the grades of the books were subpar, the prices were high and everyone seemed to have the same "hot" books. There was nothing you could do about this it is just what I saw when looking around.

The feedback on this forum is great.

Ed I'm extremely appreciative for your support. I think you bring up some great points about Phoenix having 2 quality cons- 1 primarily for Comics and Creators, and the other for everything else under the sun that is pop culture related. Of course this year also jammed 2 small cons late in the year with the Media Expo and then Phx Con wedging in their own Fan Fest only a couple of months out. This tends to spreads dollars out for the vendors, but ultimately the fans are the big winners when quality guests coming out to the numerous events.

As for Dealers reports- a few were up (WAY UP) and a few were down from a year ago. It seems modern dealers had a field day with this guest list. Silver/Bronze dealers were a crapshoot. Of course inventory and pricing weighs into this as well as the right buyers coming through the doors. My goal each year is to bring more people into the con, and in this area we succeeded, and I'm encouraged that we can continue to build here.

As for mid tier artist Alley guys-

I agree there is a need. It's hard to go with McNiven, Soule, Adam Kubert, Trimpe, Bagley, Epting, Chad Hardin, Perez, Capullo, and then add Liefeld, Eastman and McFarlane to the mix.

We attempted to cater to filling this mid tier need with great artists though like Joe Benitez, Mike DeBalfo, Marat Mychaels, Aspen Comics, Livio Ramondelli, Eddie Nunez, Jamie Tyndall Brent Peebles. We included some animation folks like Mat Nastos, and Devin Roth from Bob's Burgers, and Thom Zahler from MLP and more. It's unfortunate that Brandon Peterson cancelled, and Rich Friend had a family emergency that prevented him from coming- two names which would have elevated this grouping further.

All in all we were pleased with our event, the growth we experienced, and the caliber of guests the Amazing Comic Con brand is able to attract. We will be taking the feedback, notes, and experiences, and apply them to the upcoming AMAZING LAS VEGAS COMIC CON, and other Amazing Cons in 2015.

Thanks, Jimmy! I headed over to McNiven's line while I was waiting for my number to come up for Perez's line on Friday afternoon. Steve and his wife were amazingly gracious, and the artwork he had for Death of Wolverine #4 was stunning. I happily paid $60 for the piece I bought, and there were about 4-5 other pieces I wish I had jumped on. And Perez was one of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Jimmy, absolutely amazing time at this one and will write more later. Picked up a ton of great commissions this past weekend from Liefeld, McNiven, Siy Oum... Which was one hell of a surprise to see at the Aspen booth, Eastman, Hardin, and many more. So far my big score cons have been your conventions so bring it on and I'll see everyone in Las Vegas... And a little bird told me to expect the Capullo's at all of the Amazing shows.... Nice

As for mid tier artist Alley guys-

I agree there is a need. It's hard to go with McNiven, Soule, Adam Kubert, Trimpe, Bagley, Epting, Chad Hardin, Perez, Capullo, and then add Liefeld, Eastman and McFarlane to the mix.

We attempted to cater to filling this mid tier need with great artists though like Joe Benitez, Mike DeBalfo, Marat Mychaels, Aspen Comics, Livio Ramondelli, Eddie Nunez, Jamie Tyndall Brent Peebles. We included some animation folks like Mat Nastos, and Devin Roth from Bob's Burgers, and Thom Zahler from MLP and more. It's unfortunate that Brandon Peterson cancelled, and Rich Friend had a family emergency that prevented him from coming- two names which would have elevated this grouping further.

that right there is an awesome lineup! You guys should bring the Amazing brand to Chicago :)

Just got word from a LCS:

Please keep a lookout for the following stolen at Amazing Arizona Comicon:

CGC-

GSX X-Men #1 7.0

GSX X-Men #1 5.5 purple label

FF #6 5.5

Amazing Spider-Man #129 9.0

Superman #199 7.0

CGC Signature Series SIGNED by Stan Lee:

Avengers #1 2.0

Strange Tales #110 4.5

Tales to Astonish #27 1.8

CBCS-

Amazing Spider-Man Ann. #5 9.6

Dr, Strange #1 9.2 Signature Verified- Brunner, Giordano, Englehart

CGC-

GSX X-Men #1 7.0

FF #6 5.5

Superman #199 7.0

Avengers #1 2.0

Strange Tales #110 4.5

CBCS-

Can you get serial numbers on the slabs? You also ought to post a thread in general so more folks see it.

CGC-

GSX X-Men #1 7.0

FF #6 5.5

Superman #199 7.0

Avengers #1 2.0

Strange Tales #110 4.5

CBCS-

Can you get serial numbers on the slabs? You also ought to post a thread in general so more folks see it.

Will do and am trying to get more info.

CGC-

GSX X-Men #1 7.0

FF #6 5.5

Superman #199 7.0

Avengers #1 2.0

Strange Tales #110 4.5

CBCS-

Where were they stolen from!? I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist, pawn shops may be a good place to look too.

Great news!

Just received a call from Phil and the books were packed and covered up for protection in a different box unbeknownst to Phil. We can call off the dogs and drop the hunt. All is good except for perhaps the helper who packed them and didn't remember doing so. :makepoint: