• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it time to stop collecting?

69 posts in this topic

I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking I've had enough of this hobby, and its time to dump most of my books. And like Jeffro, there's a few things I'll keep.

Sorry, speaking from experience, I don't believe you. Once you attempt to isolate the 'few things' you would like to keep you will see it's not easy.

Believe what, that I'm thinking about it. I already know what I'd keep and it would be my entire F.F. run, that's it. Don't try to coax me to start selling so you can get your hands on my pre-hero books. :baiting:

I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking I've had enough of this hobby, and its time to dump most of my books. And like Jeffro, there's a few things I'll keep.

Sorry, speaking from experience, I don't believe you. Once you attempt to isolate the 'few things' you would like to keep you will see it's not easy.

It may not be easy but it will happen. It will have to. Tough choices and all but those choices will be made.

It may not be easy but it will happen. It will have to. Tough choices and all but those choices will be made.

For me, it was all or none.

I don't care what you collect. Books, statues, cards, coins, or tattoos. What age is it time to stop?

I mean, are you going to be buying comic books for your collection when you are 88?

I know that each of us makes that type of decision based on our own desires and circumstances. Duh. But today, when do you think it will be right FOR YOU to stop?

I don’t think you can decide beforehand what you wiil do. We are collecting in the present, so the answer lies in your current motivations.

I know for sure of a good quantity of italian collectors which collected for all their life – it all depends on what you are doing of the collection. If one thinks it’s time to pass it on, it is always great to find a single buyer. That happens often, here. :)

For me, sharing my love of comic books with my son helps to fuel the hobby.

I've been able to do this with a few kids. One of my younger cousins is pretty big into comics. He has transitioned to mostly digital. I also gifted comics to a nephew and a neighbor's son.

It's nice when comics "sticks" with a kid. However, overall it feels like a losing battle. I also tried to get a couple other younger cousins into comics but they didn't take. Hoping to have better luck with my daughter.

Its easier with your own children because I think early on you can sort of steer the narrative of the experience. For my son I am there as a guide through the entire thing. He is only four so I sort of have to be..... But, I help him find what I think will be the quality experience. It is almost like comic/super hero school in my house. When its my turn to read to him I have him pick out what comic he wants to read from his stack before bed. After he picks it, we go through who each character on the cover is, the powers they posses, and then we proceed with me reading and pointing out the panels as I read. He has already started learning to read the sound call outs and some of the simpler words. If he finds a character he likes then we make a point to look for that character at the LCS next time we are there. Right now he is diggin Hulk and the agents of smash. I have to give it to the big 2 the stuff they are putting out for kids is actually pretty good and just complicated enough to hold their interest but not to far over their head.

This interest helps me for sure.... just the other day I showed him my IM#55 and pointed out Drax. He was excited to see him in GOTG. Sharing the hobby with my son is probably one of the most amazing experiences of my life. :cloud9:

I don't care what you collect. Books, statues, cards, coins, or tattoos. What age is it time to stop?

I mean, are you going to be buying comic books for your collection when you are 88?

I know that each of us makes that type of decision based on our own desires and circumstances. Duh. But today, when do you think it will be right FOR YOU to stop?

Excellent question. Harry Rinker did a special series on this, but it was more geared towards 'why collectors stop collecting' NOT when. That being said, the link is below. Scroll halfway down the page and you should see the articles in question.

http://www.harryrinker.com/columns.html

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Believe what, that I'm thinking about it. I already know what I'd keep and it would be my entire F.F. run, that's it. Don't try to coax me to start selling so you can get your hands on my pre-hero books. :baiting:

Actually, if anything, I am trying to talk you out of it. Again, speaking from experience, I think you would regret it if you actually pulled the trigger. My collection is a source of comfort. When I'm depressed I go look at some books. I do agree with you that the state of the hobby does suck.

I can never stop collecting as I do not see myself ever not enjoying my hobbies. Comics, Numismatics, Muscle cars, Fossils, Stamps, etc.

I just hope that my kids or someday my grandkids will enjoy them. If it turns out my kids do not want them, then I will try to steer any future grandchild into being a collector.

When all the art looks like Rob Leifeld drew it ...

I lost it after reading this.... Then I got really sad, when I started to imagine this happeing. But God Dam this is funny.

When it is no longer fun for you to do so.

... or when Greggy stops putting multiple pics of the same book, same grade, differentiated by one CGC designation number in his posts. time and time again.

Y'know .. whichever comes first ;)

I've been able to do this with a few kids. One of my younger cousins is pretty big into comics. He has transitioned to mostly digital. I also gifted comics to a nephew and a neighbor's son.

It's nice when comics "sticks" with a kid. However, overall it feels like a losing battle. I also tried to get a couple other younger cousins into comics but they didn't take. Hoping to have better luck with my daughter.

I grew up riding my bike to the corner store to get the latest issues from the rack; maybe you did too. I don't think the younger generation will ever have quite the same fondness for comic books simply because that feeling of nostalgia won't be part of it.

I agree.. The excitement of going to the comic book rack at the gas station or finding Spideys at the flea markets and yard sales as a kid will be hard to replicate now when you can have any comic you want with a click.

I grew up riding my bike to the corner store to get the latest issues from the rack; maybe you did too. I don't think the younger generation will ever have quite the same fondness for comic books simply because that feeling of nostalgia won't be part of it.

In the 70s, I was fortunate to have three neighborhood markets within two or three blocks of my house. Sadly, even that has changed. Those types of small family run markets are mostly a thing of the past. :(

I'm not sure there is much nostalgia involved in logging in to your PC and viewing comics digitally.

I agree.. The excitement of going to the comic book rack at the gas station or finding Spideys at the flea markets and yard sales as a kid will be hard to replicate now when you can have any comic you want with a click.

I don't know… I've been reading some trades that went out of print. While the search for the books has been frustrating, it has also been a lot of fun. I was literally going through every comic retailer online I could find last night. I sent a message to some Italian guy that I probably should have translated. I ordered it from some weird textbook company to have them tell me a week later they didn't have it.

It has been surprisingly fun.

I also had my estate sale experience at the start of this summer. That is a memory I'll always remember.

When it is no longer fun for you to do so.

... or when Greggy stops putting multiple pics of the same book, same grade, differentiated by one CGC designation number in his posts. time and time again.

Y'know .. whichever comes first ;)

So you're saying when it's no longer fun for you. I agree.