• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Kane's Tech 27

49 posts in this topic

According to a comment that Vincent Zurzolo made 10 hrs ago, they were dropped off for grading today and will appear on Comic Connect on Monday. I am guessing they were fast tracked. The pictures are up on facebook.
walk through

:gossip: The other company.

:o

According to a comment that Vincent Zurzolo made 10 hrs ago, they were dropped off for grading today and will appear on Comic Connect on Monday. I am guessing they were fast tracked. The pictures are up on facebook.
walk through

I know... I didn't want to say that though.

This topic though and the provenance of the book is more important than who is grading it to tell the truth. If Lon's comments are correct then these are not really Kane's books and may simply be DC's archival books or the copies they had laying around the office.

walk through

I know... I didn't want to say that though.

This topic though and the provenance of the book is more important than who is grading it to tell the truth. If Lon's comments are correct then these are not really Kane's books and may simply be DC's archival books or the copies they had laying around the office.

I knew it was a bad idea to pass up that janitor position. doh!

I think I have pictures of the original spiral bound book someplace. I believe it came from his estate, and it had his name embossed on the cover. They were his reference copies(?). I'll try and find them and post it...

That's what I was thinking. I thought they'd be cooler still bound, but I suppose it makes more sense to split the thing up.

I think I have pictures of the original spiral bound book someplace. I believe it came from his estate, and it had his name embossed on the cover. They were his reference copies(?). I'll try and find them and post it...

That's what I was thinking. I thought they'd be cooler still bound, but I suppose it makes more sense to split the thing up.

I think it was cooler still bound. As I recall there was two books, one had the early detectives, one had batman 1-3, or 1-5? Really just pieces of history. And the nice thing about the spiral bounds is that you can hold the book as Bob Kane did....

The 27 and 29 are perhaps worth going after, even given the cost of restoration.

What can be done with brittle pages though? CConnect is advertising them with brittle and from a bound copy. I am guessing though that they did not suffer any trimming as they were simply woven with the spiral.

Interesting note in the CConnect listing:

Both CGC, the collecting industry s oldest third-party grader, and CBCS, the new grading company founded by former CGC head grader Steve Borock, have agreed to certify these copies as being from Kane s personal collection, in the event the winning bidder wishes to have them certified.

CConnect has three copies of issue 36 up for grabs!

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=detective+comics&issue=36

The 27 and 29 are perhaps worth going after, even given the cost of restoration.

What can be done with brittle pages though? CConnect is advertising them with brittle and from a bound copy. I am guessing though that they did not suffer any trimming as they were simply woven with the spiral.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=910195#Post910195

Kane purchased a copy of Batman 1 from Gary Carter at an early seventies convention, I hope he at least kept that one in decent condition. But these are very cool. I'd love to have them.

Bluechip on the boards is the owner.

Looking at the books, they appear trimmed.

So brittle pages can be treated... have any methods changed since 2012 when it was discussed in the Captain America thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5587101

Despite other's reservations concerning restoration, why wouldn't the Tec 27 and a few of the others be worth it to at least stop the book from crumbling into a bag of newsprint flakes? I followed the link to Gold that Peter provided (thanks!) and read how some were concerned with preserving the provenance of the books. Wouldn't the first order of business be to preserve the books?

So brittle pages can be treated... have any methods changed since 2012 when it was discussed in the Captain America thread?

Despite other's reservations concerning restoration, why wouldn't the Tec 27 and a few of the others be worth it to at least stop the book from crumbling into a bag of newsprint flakes? I followed the link to Gold that Peter provided (thanks!) and read how some were concerned with preserving the provenance of the books. Wouldn't the first order of business be to preserve the books?

Yea I don't get why everyone keeps saying it wouldn't be worth it. If the Tec 27 would only grade out to a .5, then why not leaf cast it and hold the book together if for nothing more than conservation?

I also don't get why the books couldn't go to restoration and hang on to the Bob Kane designation like people believe… If an SS book can keep the designation, why couldn't these books if they go to a trusted company?

I also found this really interesting from the thread Peter linked up in the Gold forum:

These came by way of Dave (the densist) Anderson who bought them along with a whole passel of Batman memorabilia from Batman historian and author Joe Desis. Joe discovered them in the possession of a woman who had previously worked as Bob Kane's nanny/housekeeper in the 1950s. She got them during the breakup of Kane's marriage, and found them discarded in the trash during the move. When Desris found the woman (and the books) they were in a 50s vintage green suitcase in a closet in the Carolinas, where the woman was living in retirement.

Yea I don't get why everyone keeps saying it wouldn't be worth it. If the Tec 27 would only grade out to a .5, then why not leaf cast it and hold the book together if for nothing more than conservation?

I also don't get why the books couldn't go to restoration and hang on to the Bob Kane designation like people believe… If an SS book can keep the designation, why couldn't these books if they go to a trusted company?

+1

Seems like it would be prudent to go the resto route, if only to protect your investment.