• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate to sound sexist but.................

76 posts in this topic

Well. The way he expressed it maybe needed work but I'm sorry I don't have a problem with the general point that most women don't seem to care as much about preserving condition. Is it sexist to say more men like chicken beer and wings than women do? Is it sexist to say thT more women (at least in this part of the world ) are into yoga and Pilates than men? Generalizations aren't in and if themselves a terrible thing. It's just as sexist to pretend men and women aren't different in some ways - to pretend that there are no gender differences in the name of equality.

Well. The way he expressed it maybe needed work but I'm sorry I don't have a problem with the general point that most women don't seem to care as much about preserving condition. Is it sexist to say more men like chicken beer and wings than women do? Is it sexist to say thT more women (at least in this part of the world ) are into yoga and Pilates than men? Generalizations aren't in and if themselves a terrible thing. It's just as sexist to pretend men and women aren't different in some ways - to pretend that there are no gender differences in the name of equality.

You are correct sir. I totally agree with you. The problem is the politically correct police. Even in modern comics, it doesn't matter how much violence or sex is placed in it. Just as long as it is extremely politically correct. To the point where our heros are twisted to conform to today's standards. :(

I'd say this is all probably about as accurate as the stereotype that comic collectors are a bunch of pimple-faced, stuck-in-adolescence, virginal basement dwellers who are more comfortable talking dirty with Siri than they are holding a normal adult conversation with somebody of the opposite sex.

Generalization is just a polite way of stereotyping, so yes, dependent upon the context, it can be a form of sexism.

We live in a world where one size doesn't fit all and as a society should be mature enough to celebrate those differences without pointing them out as odd or exceptional behavior.

My 2c

We live in a world where one size doesn't fit all and as a society should be mature enough to celebrate those differences without pointing them out as odd or exceptional behavior.

This place is nothing but odd or exceptional behavior. :banana:

You are correct sir. I totally agree with you. The problem is the politically correct police. Even in modern comics, it doesn't matter how much violence or sex is placed in it. Just as long as it is extremely politically correct. To the point where our heros are twisted to conform to today's standards. :(

There are no politically correct police, only paranoid folks who feel displaced by cultural change.

It's rare when any perceived authority trounces on the rights of folks until they step over the line and threaten the rights of others, even though we're told by those on the fringes that our rights are being whittled away every day. That's the nature of public opinion.

While I love the GA, I also recognize examples of extreme racism and sexism that would be considered grossly offensive in today's more enlightened world. Context is everything. Georges Santayana's enduring quote about history rings truer than any lament over the excesses of PC values.

My philosophical 2c

smiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance002.gifsmiley-dance003.gifsmiley-dance004.gifsmiley-dance009.gif

For those of you that are so horrified by my thread and think that I am a totally sexist person and total misogynist obviously did not read what I wrote. I was simply saying that my experience with women sellers on Ebay has been really really bad every time. I don't see what is wrong with saying that. I am not saying that all women don't know how to grade correctly, only the women that I have bought from. So some of you just did not get it and furthermore I am shocked at those that were horrified by what I said because your very hobby that you love so much and yes I am talking about comics, is the most sexist hobby I can think of. In the golden age look at all the celebrated headlight covers and bondage covers. These are considered the most prized covers. Why? Because they exploit women. Even today, look how Vampirella is drawn. So all of you who thought this thread was so terrible, maybe you need to check yourself and ask if you are so anti sexist, should you stop collecting comics. Surely if you are okay with huge breasts all over a cover, you can handle what I said which was totally a truth based on my experience.

I'd say this is all probably about as accurate as the stereotype that comic collectors are a bunch of pimple-faced, stuck-in-adolescence, virginal basement dwellers who are more comfortable talking dirty with Siri than they are holding a normal adult conversation with somebody of the opposite sex.

I had ambitions to be a pimple-faced, stuck-in-adolescence, virginal basement dweller at one time...

...It's the only ambition I've ever fulfilled.

I like to think i am oddly exceptionally odd.

For those of you that are so horrified by my thread and think that I am a totally sexist person and total misogynist obviously did not read what I wrote. I was simply saying that my experience with women sellers on Ebay has been really really bad every time. I don't see what is wrong with saying that. I am not saying that all women don't know how to grade correctly, only the women that I have bought from. So some of you just did not get it and furthermore I am shocked at those that were horrified by what I said because your very hobby that you love so much and yes I am talking about comics, is the most sexist hobby I can think of. In the golden age look at all the celebrated headlight covers and bondage covers. These are considered the most prized covers. Why? Because they exploit women. Even today, look how Vampirella is drawn. So all of you who thought this thread was so terrible, maybe you need to check yourself and ask if you are so anti sexist, should you stop collecting comics. Surely if you are okay with huge breasts all over a cover, you can handle what I said which was totally a truth based on my experience.

To be honest, we are such a heavily male dominated crew I've often wondered why Sharon puts up with us. When my board name was alanna I was pm'd by a female boardie who assumed I was also. She seemed inadvertently to be referring to a need for solidarity among women on the boards - go figure. Needless to say she didn't pm me again. Cant say I blame her!

I thought you were female when your name was alanna as well.Bill set me straight,but I'd look at the books you posted and be like, wow,I have to meet this lady!

lol

Yeah - I wanted to be Adam Strange but that was taken. The gender angle simply didn't occur to me!

Straw man coined my new board name for me and I like it.

Mostly.

You just described me, I am so offended right now. :)

I thought you were female when your name was alanna as well.Bill set me straight,but I'd look at the books you posted and be like, wow,I have to meet this lady!

lol

Yeah - I wanted to be Adam Strange but that was taken. The gender angle simply didn't occur to me!

Are you sure you aren't a woman?

Would you also be shocked to learn that gambling goes on in here or were you wagering on it? ;)

casablanca4_copy0.jpg

Well, people are different, aren't they? Many ingredients that go into that. We can all reflect on what those are without me being pedantic.

My view, for what it is worth? An enlightened society celebrates diversity in all it's guises. But show me a truly enlightened society.

I support two people at the moment undergoing gender reassignment. They are superficially men being oppressed by virtue of their inner identity, trying to live as women.

So I think equality isn't applied equally regardless of gender. It's a universal constant. Or it isn't present.

With great respect, the only thing in your post on which I would really want to offer an alternative perspective is your comment on generalizations.

I think they can indeed be terrible things, depending on who's making them.

lol

Are you sure you aren't a woman?

Or to put it another way, "Who are you calling a man?"

Or another, other way: we're all just big girls blouses and this thread is "handbags."

Lil_Folk_Schulz.jpg