• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soon Every Marvel Comic Book Will Be a Key

113 posts in this topic

Almost the only people buying them are speculators and flippers, who are then selling to other speculators and flippers, and some poor schmuck down the road is going to be left holding the baby.

People now are buying hard-to-find BA or SA books for inflated prices - I don't think that's nearly as bad as buying a $700 variant that came out a few months ago. And I'd like to point out that most of those variants that have stupid pricing rarely have anything to do with a movie.

At least with BA and SA books there are limited quantities, not like new books that can simply be printed, reprinted and in some cases, have their availability ratios mis-represented.

I don't disagree that there's a speculator problem going on, but I have no problems with people speculating on old, vitage books. I think that's great.

There are probably more of those "hard-to-find" BA or SA books in circulation than most modern comics. With the top comics barely selling 100,000 copies and most modern comics selling well under 50,000 copies, I'd wager 10 years from now, the BA or SA comics will still be more plentiful than most modern variants. But, despite this, I'd still rather have the BA or SA comics. :grin:

Maybe more plentiful but not in HG

Always be plenty of HG moderns

Good point. (thumbs u

A lot of those bronze age comics don`t look so high grade after being stuck in $1 dollar long boxes for 30 to 40 plus years.

Oh yeah

Marvel Premiere 15 was dollar box stuff for years. So was first Ghost Rider and some others. They got pawed over and now-well....

Exactly. The same thing has happened to the Guardians of the Galaxy keys. For years no one paid attention to them, and now they are suddenly in demand off the charts. Books that were in dollar boxes that were pawed over now have a hot status because of high movie demand.

btw I could see this happening again and again with other comics. Your Legion come to mind.

One Legion movie and boom! :)

I don't think it will ever happen with Peter Parker but some other books definitely

Like the Starlin Warlocks are suddenly hot-last year $2 for ST 178 and 180 now like $50-$100

I just leave em in my longbox and let em ripen

like my MP 15

As a comic collector, why do you feel the need to buy a book you passed on for years,simply because the character will now be in a movie?

Skull the Slayer is a book has has been out for almost forty years, I would think anyone who wanted a copy would have it by now. Yet if Marvel added him to their films, there would be instant demand.

Why?

It would depend if Skull the Slayer would play a pivotal role in a Marvel movie or modern Marvel comics.Skull the Slayer is pretty obscure compared to Groot and Rocket Raccoon who have both played big parts in modern comics recently before they ended up as big time characters in a Hollywood blockbuster.

So Groot and Rocket Raccoon are pivotal?

Who knew...

The same people who said that the Walking Dead #1 would become a huge key, digital comics would grow by leaps and bounds, and that women would become important new big time readers replacing a certain segment of men who left the hobby to play video games. Dark Knight Rises will win the Oscar.

Embrace the change and enjoy the ride.

;)

Fixed, don't leave it off because the Academy got it wrong...

:grin:

its nice that the market is blooming but sucks I gotta pay 10x for books because of the movies,

Ive been suckered though because now I want Guardian of the Galaxy books

I donated the entire run to the boys and girls club. I live with the shame of wanting them back. The pain is compounded because I only want them to sell.

It is a nuisance that these books are inflated by movie hype speculators.

It means that some books are just way too over priced (IM55) and it will be too expensive for me to complete that run.

I collect comics because I love them and speculators stop me from pandering to my OCD for full runs. :pullhair:

Seen a lot of these ranting posts lately and I don't get it. You had all the time in the world to get IM55 cheap if you "truly" wanted it. Now that it gets hyped up you say you want it... just like everyone else in the world. Your desire to acquire the book isn't any more "pure" than the people who now want it because of the greater exposure to the 1st apps in there.

I think that you and Shadroch are missing the point.

I like comics and I like owning many longboxes full of them. One day, I hope to own a very great deal, let's say the entire Marvel and DC Universe up to 1989. ETA: Let's say from the SA through 1989, I'm not crazy.

I've never had the means to do this all at once. I've never been able to do it in any given year. And I haven't been able to do it over the past thirty years.

I happened to focus on Captain America and Iron Man early because I happen to like those characters best. So I happen to have a Cap 117 and IM 55 in my longboxes. Yay! I'm rich! Only not really, because if I ever need to cash in on those books, my finances will be so far in the toilet that I won't feel up to congratulating myself for investing in the Falcon and Drax.

I don't happen to have a Hulk 271 among the 50-100 Hulks in my collection. At some point I'd like a full Hulk run, too - I need to afford Wolverine, too, that's a different story. But now I'd have to pay $75 or so for a water-damaged copy due to that smegging raccoon and to those who speculate on him.

I don't want Hulk 271 any more now than I did last year. I do want one, but it has nothing to do with the movie and my intention is for it to pass through generations of Seizures.

Completist collectors like me are the losers in the movie hype game.

You make an interesting remark, as 1989 is a year which marks in some way the "start of the breakdown" for Marvel…

I am not a completist in the proper sense of the word, but yes, surely I want the books for their content. The only things you can do under the present circumstances are either wait for prices to re-stabilize or "ride the wave" and try to grab books subject to speculation at decent prices, see if you want to keep them and if not, trade them for other issues you want.

For example, I love David Michelinie’s writing, but in the end Marvel Premiere #47 and #48 are not such landmark stories to keep, at least for me, so after buying and reading them I just resold them.

It means that some books are just way too over priced (IM55) and it will be too expensive for me to complete that run.

I collect comics because I love them and speculators stop me from pandering to my OCD for full runs. :pullhair:

Seen a lot of these ranting posts lately and I don't get it. You had all the time in the world to get IM55 cheap if you "truly" wanted it. Now that it gets hyped up you say you want it... just like everyone else in the world. Your desire to acquire the book isn't any more "pure" than the people who now want it because of the greater exposure to the 1st apps in there.

I like comics and I like owning many longboxes full of them. One day, I hope to own a very great deal, let's say the entire Marvel and DC Universe up to 1989. ETA: Let's say from the SA through 1989, I'm not crazy.

I've never had the means to do this all at once. I've never been able to do it in any given year. And I haven't been able to do it over the past thirty years.

I happened to focus on Captain America and Iron Man early because I happen to like those characters best. So I happen to have a Cap 117 and IM 55 in my longboxes. Yay! I'm rich! Only not really, because if I ever need to cash in on those books, my finances will be so far in the toilet that I won't feel up to congratulating myself for investing in the Falcon and Drax.

I don't happen to have a Hulk 271 among the 50-100 Hulks in my collection. At some point I'd like a full Hulk run, too - I need to afford Wolverine, too, that's a different story. But now I'd have to pay $75 or so for a water-damaged copy due to that smegging raccoon and to those who speculate on him.

I don't want Hulk 271 any more now than I did last year. I do want one, but it has nothing to do with the movie and my intention is for it to pass through generations of Seizures.

Or another view of that. The completists are the winners in the movie hype game.....cause we finished all these titles years ago. :sumo: I bought Hulk 271 and Iron Man #55 for mega cheap years ago. :cloud9:

While I agree that movies have exacerbated the situation, it's just the latest thing that causes spikes in comic values. What you describe has been going on for decades. I bought a high grade Batman 232 many years ago for about $5. At that time, no one gave a rat's about Ra's al Ghul. He then became popular and the book gained in value without any movie hype whatsoever. Same for Wolverine. Same for Punisher.

Or another view of that. The completists are the winners in the movie hype game.....cause we finished all these titles years ago. :sumo: I bought Hulk 271 and Iron Man #55 for mega cheap years ago. :cloud9:

I wouldn't say completists win in this scenario, unless you'd actually sell your copy. I don't care that my first Falcon jumped from $30 to $300. I need it, so it stays.

Completists will have most of the books in a title, not all. Why didn't I buy it before? I didn't find a copy I like, and there was never any urgency to buy one book over any of the others, I was busy filling the run. Avengers 28 isn't any more important to my run than 27 and 29, but I'll have to wait a year or two before I'll pick that one up because of movie stupidity.

I wouldn't say completists win in this scenario, unless you'd actually sell your copy. I don't care that my first Falcon jumped from $30 to $300. I need it, so it stays.

Completists will have most of the books in a title, not all. Why didn't I buy it before? I didn't find a copy I like, and there was never any urgency to buy one book over any of the others, I was busy filling the run. Avengers 28 isn't any more important to my run than 27 and 29, but I'll have to wait a year or two before I'll pick that one up because of movie stupidity.

Old school Completists win because they have the Fear #19, Avengers #28, Hulk #271, TTA #13, Cap #117 that they bought BEFORE they were the hot issue of the month. And they get to watch everyone scramble for copies and pay nose bleed prices.

And I will still own these comics when no one cares about them. Cause that's what do. Collect comics. :cloud9: And HAVE all the issues in most titles. :whee: