• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soon Every Marvel Comic Book Will Be a Key

113 posts in this topic

Soon every Marvel comic will be a key.

The second a character is mentioned, even peripherally, in a movie or movie promo, any book with some incarnation of this character becomes the latest hot book to buy.* rantrant

* Groot seems like a fine fellow/plant, but really. :sumo:

And this upsets you?

Yes.

I would like to see a market correction back to the early 1960s where people collected due to interest and not speculation.

I would also like to see world peace.

And this upsets you?

Yes.

I would like to see a market correction back to the early 1960s where people collected due to interest and not speculation.

I would also like to see world peace.

the latter is more likely than the former rantrant

Who would have ever thought I'd regret dumping 10 long boxes of copper dreck in 2002 because I didn't want to pay to haul them cross-country? Was it three copies of NM 98 or five that I gave away? Oh well, saved me $100 or so on the move. And at least I kept all my Howard the Ducks.

Yup

Almost sold all my strange tales warlock a while back but they were going for like $2

Now with Guardians movie #178=$30 #180 = $100

:applause:

I never bought a book because of speculation. I buy books, or extra copies of books, because I enjoy (or enjoyed) reading them.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't have plenty of books that I didn't enjoy - I kept buying Marvels through the '90s up 'till 2004 just to keep the runs complete.

I could get rid of many of those and still be happy.

It is a nuisance that these books are inflated by movie hype speculators.

It means that some books are just way too over priced (IM55) and it will be too expensive for me to complete that run.

I collect comics because I love them and speculators stop me from pandering to my OCD for full runs. :pullhair:

I never bought a book because of speculation. I buy books, or extra copies of books, because I enjoy (or enjoyed) reading them.

Seriously? You bought extra copies of comic books because you enjoyed reading them, with no thought of speculation?

How many copies of your favorite non-comic novels did you buy?

How many copies of the "Iron Man" DVD did you buy?

Just curious.

Seriously? You bought extra copies of comic books because you enjoyed reading them, with no thought of speculation?

How many copies of your favorite non-comic novels did you buy?

How many copies of the "Iron Man" DVD did you buy?

Just curious.

Yes, really.

I have never sold a comic book in my life. (I'm 58)

I've given some to my nephew and to my friend's kids that enjoy comics.

I gave some as a prize in the Green Eggs Grading contest, and The Giving Tree on these boards.

When I was working and had money I wanted to have a complete collection of Marvel silver age / early bronze age hero books in 3 different sets:

a) raw reading condition, including the original owner books I bought as a kid,

b) raw "higher" grade copies just to look through.

c) CGC copies- the best I could afford.

(I bought even more copies of some books just because I liked them - never because they were "key".)

I never searched just for "keys" - I enjoy complete runs. Nothing like reading a long box all the way through with no missing installments.

Prices escalated to the point where my goal wasn't feasible. Indeed, I should have bought some to flip, using the profits to obtain the more expensive books - that is a smart strategy, in my opinion. Oh, and I caught the OA bug :eek:

Before Bob Sidebottom passed, I had a choice between an AF #15 and ASM #1 from his shop for roughly the same price. I picked the ASM #1 because it completed my OO run, and I think it is a better Spider-Man book ( 24 pages of Spidey versus 11 in AF #15, plus the origin is retold anyway).

I know this is not a popular view on these boards,but it is mine. I understand this is the CGC boards, where "value" and "high grade" are premiums and inherently tied to the attraction. I get it. I like looking at those key 9.4's - 9.8's too.

I know my "investment" would have been far greater with the AF #15, and at this point I will probably never afford one. My choice.

I have never looked at comics as a commodity. I do not begrudge those who do; how else was I to get back issues if everyone felt the same as me?

I will probably start selling some books in the foreseeable future, It's getting about that time. I am not looking forward to it, though.

To answer your last two questions: I have one copy of my favorite non-comic novels, and one copy of the Iron Man DVD. I don't like those things in the same way I like my comic books.

I was working on a treaty for world peace. We were making progress, but I quit the project and couldn't invest the time and resources to see it through. Why, you ask? Because I wanted to buy more key comics of course!!! Key comics like um.....hulk 271? Batman adventures 12? Yummy!! lol lol :insane:

I was working on a treaty for world peace. We were making progress, but I quit the project and couldn't invest the time and resources to see it through. Why, you ask? Because I wanted to buy more key comics of course!!! Key comics like um.....hulk 271? Batman adventures 12? Yummy!! lol lol :insane:

You cad, you!

I hope every Marvel Comic will become a key. :wishluck:

I have been on the other side of still needing issues and movies came out quite a few times. But after years of buying comics and finishing sets of stuff no one really collected....anything can happen in any book from 1959 to 1980, and now I can look in my inventory book to see what grade I have it in. :cloud9:lol

Happened the other day when I saw Fear #19 was moving. I have owned a complete Fear set for at least 15 years. And not many were interested in that series 15 years ago.

Before Spider-man even existed we have a slew of super-heroes which very popular but which get no love now. Spectre super important... Buck Rogers.... and so on.

Is this a case of "I want everything the way it used to be"... because then Spider-man, Wolverine, Iron-man... and many others should not be anybody.

Things change... so annoying! :boo: