• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soon Every Marvel Comic Book Will Be a Key

113 posts in this topic

To no one inparticular

You've had thirty years to get these books. Now they are expensive and you are complaining?

I was going to dispute this -- until I realized that it was true.

Unfortunatly I dont think anything will change any time soon. Marvel movies will be around for the nest 10-20 years and so will the prices of these books and more. Sure maybe one day this will change but I cant see it happening any time soon. They mentioned the Thunderbolts movie possible last week and I fully expect the Hulk issue with the first app to jump on that news. part of the issue is not just speculators. its the collectors who want to try to grab the book before the speculators. You have a vicious cycle going on. I am part of that. As soon as I heard that there was a Guardians movie i grabbed the first App of the main characters so I can get them before the speculators drive up the price but in the process I added to the price going up.

As for the Human fly. I loved that series , was one of my personal favorites when I was a kid. You cant get them cheap either anymore.

I agree the genie has been let out of the bottle now, and Marvel is here to stay as a dominant force in pop culture.

Where Marvel is a different beast then DC is that DC for the most part has been relying on just Batman with an occasional other hero thrown in every few years for movies, while Marvel is about a bunch of diversified heroes. Marvel didn`t put it`s eggs all in one basket which has led to many different interpretations of the superhero which are not just the old dark n gritty doom and gloom that most people have grown accustomed to.

This is the best time to be a comic collector and fan. I don't have any issue with movies raising awareness and hype about first appearances, etc.

It's fun and exciting.

But is that raised awareness translating into new readers? Not so sure.

Absolutely not. History has shown that comic book movies are good for nothing better than a short term spike as far as comic sales go.

If Marvel were smart, they would've had a new printing of the GotG TPB ready to go once the movie came out. I have several colleagues whose children loved the movie and wanted more material, but could not find it at reasonable prices 2c

I respectfully disagree. Avengers? After successful movies Iron-man has come from being a C-level character in the comics to having the first appearance be a grail....And without the TV-series what would TWD be worth? And is that just a bubble?

As a comic collector, why do you feel the need to buy a book you passed on for years,simply because the character will now be in a movie?

Skull the Slayer is a book has has been out for almost forty years, I would think anyone who wanted a copy would have it by now. Yet if Marvel added him to their films, there would be instant demand.

Why?

As a comic collector, why do you feel the need to buy a book you passed on for years,simply because the character will now be in a movie?

Skull the Slayer is a book has has been out for almost forty years, I would think anyone who wanted a copy would have it by now. Yet if Marvel added him to their films, there would be instant demand.

Why?

It would depend if Skull the Slayer would play a pivotal role in a Marvel movie or modern Marvel comics.Skull the Slayer is pretty obscure compared to Groot and Rocket Raccoon who have both played big parts in modern comics recently before they ended up as big time characters in a Hollywood blockbuster.

Why?

Lemmings

How many books without superheroes or super villains have become keys?

Some Sgt. Rock's and Sgt. Fury's, for sure. A very few Archie's (and the Pep)But what others are there? Any horror keys?

Okay. I see the mistake in my question.

Here it is corrected.

How many books without superheroes or super villains CAN become keys?

Why?

It would depend if Skull the Slayer would play a pivotal role in a Marvel movie or modern Marvel comics.Skull the Slayer is pretty obscure compared to Groot and Rocket Raccoon who have both played big parts in modern comics recently before they ended up as big time characters in a Hollywood blockbuster.

So Groot and Rocket Raccoon are pivotal?

Who knew...

It is a nuisance that these books are inflated by movie hype speculators.

It means that some books are just way too over priced (IM55) and it will be too expensive for me to complete that run.

I collect comics because I love them and speculators stop me from pandering to my OCD for full runs. :pullhair:

Seen a lot of these ranting posts lately and I don't get it. You had all the time in the world to get IM55 cheap if you "truly" wanted it. Now that it gets hyped up you say you want it... just like everyone else in the world. Your desire to acquire the book isn't any more "pure" than the people who now want it because of the greater exposure to the 1st apps in there.

Why?

So Groot and Rocket Raccoon are pivotal?

Who knew...

The same people who said that the Walking Dead #1 would become a huge key, digital comics would grow by leaps and bounds, and that women would become important new big time readers replacing a certain segment of men who left the hobby to play video games.

Embrace the change and enjoy the ride.

;)

Why?

Though I've owned it and sold it over 25 years ago, I've passed up on Iron Man #55s for years because I thought the book was overvalued. Now it's REALLY overvalued. I own the bulk of the Iron Man run but #55 is still one of the issues I'm missing. However, I'm not rushing to fork over the big bucks to get this book. I missed the boat and that's that - too bad, so sad. If I find it for a good price, I'll pick it up. But no way am I looking to buy this book during all this movie hype.

Almost the only people buying them are speculators and flippers, who are then selling to other speculators and flippers, and some poor schmuck down the road is going to be left holding the baby.

People now are buying hard-to-find BA or SA books for inflated prices - I don't think that's nearly as bad as buying a $700 variant that came out a few months ago. And I'd like to point out that most of those variants that have stupid pricing rarely have anything to do with a movie.

At least with BA and SA books there are limited quantities, not like new books that can simply be printed, reprinted and in some cases, have their availability ratios mis-represented.

I don't disagree that there's a speculator problem going on, but I have no problems with people speculating on old, vitage books. I think that's great.

There are probably more of those "hard-to-find" BA or SA books in circulation than most modern comics. With the top comics barely selling 100,000 copies and most modern comics selling well under 50,000 copies, I'd wager 10 years from now, the BA or SA comics will still be more plentiful than most modern variants. But, despite this, I'd still rather have the BA or SA comics. :grin:

Almost the only people buying them are speculators and flippers, who are then selling to other speculators and flippers, and some poor schmuck down the road is going to be left holding the baby.

People now are buying hard-to-find BA or SA books for inflated prices - I don't think that's nearly as bad as buying a $700 variant that came out a few months ago. And I'd like to point out that most of those variants that have stupid pricing rarely have anything to do with a movie.

At least with BA and SA books there are limited quantities, not like new books that can simply be printed, reprinted and in some cases, have their availability ratios mis-represented.

I don't disagree that there's a speculator problem going on, but I have no problems with people speculating on old, vitage books. I think that's great.

There are probably more of those "hard-to-find" BA or SA books in circulation than most modern comics. With the top comics barely selling 100,000 copies and most modern comics selling well under 50,000 copies, I'd wager 10 years from now, the BA or SA comics will still be more plentiful than most modern variants. But, despite this, I'd still rather have the BA or SA comics. :grin:

Maybe more plentiful but not in HG

Always be plenty of HG moderns

Why?

Lemmings

+1

People who I use to highly respect have proven to be lemmings. It's pretty sad to watch. :facepalm:

Good point. (thumbs u

A lot of those bronze age comics don`t look so high grade after being stuck in $1 dollar long boxes for 30 to 40 plus years.

Why do people keep repeating this? There are plenty (and I mean plenty) of HG copies of SA and BA comics. If you are talking about CGC 9.8 or better, sure, but CGC 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 (all HG) are not hard to find by any stretch. Just like people on these boards who like to say HG SA and BA are hard to find. :baiting:

Good point. (thumbs u

A lot of those bronze age comics don`t look so high grade after being stuck in $1 dollar long boxes for 30 to 40 plus years.

Oh yeah

Marvel Premiere 15 was dollar box stuff for years. So was first Ghost Rider and some others. They got pawed over and now-well....