• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really what is the difference with a cgc 2.5 compared to a 9.0?

130 posts in this topic

Apart from the obvious monetary value, What really is the difference? Unless the cover is torn or written on or highly damaged, why pay so much more for a much higher grade? I have seen vintage cgc 2.5 comics with a great looking cover. At the end of the day, That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read. So does it really make a huge change?

Sorry but this is a ridiculous question. The difference is one book has a lot of wear and defects, the other doesn't. Pick the side you want to collect and buy it.

Some people don't mind buying low grade comics...others prefer high grade comics.

That's the difference

Apart from the obvious monetary value, What really is the difference? Unless the cover is torn or written on or highly damaged, why pay so much more for a much higher grade? I have seen vintage cgc 2.5 comics with a great looking cover. At the end of the day, That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read. So does it really make a huge change?

Your argument would have worked better if you said Really what is the difference with a cgc 9.4 compared to a 9.8?

:whistle:

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

I hear you OP.

I don't mind low grade slabs...

Like you said, you're really only looking at the front cover.

I want an ASM 129. A 2.5 is on eBay for $200.

What's a 9.8 go for? $1200 or something.

At the end of the day, I just want to book with those beautiful key notes.

But, that's me and my collection focus.

Other's prefer a collection of high grade.

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Sounds like you know exactly what the answer to your question is, which is of course obvious: What's the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0? Condition of the comic, mostly the cover. This thread falls more in the "I collect a certain way and you don't therefore you're doing it wrong!" category.

But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Everyone's preference of grade is different. Some people don't care what the book looks like as long as they have a copy. I like midgrade books for the eye appeal compared to their cost. Some people want books that look like they're new off the stands. Others want to play the "mine's bigger than yours" game and have a better copy than anyone else.

If you're concerned about keeping up with other collectors' high grade collections, don't. You don't have to buy everything in 9.6 if it means nothing to you. The prices skyrocket on nosebleed grades, and in my opinion, I think it's a ridiculous waste of money. As long as the high rollers ignore the VG/F to VF- copies I seek, and continue to discount them, I'm perfectly happy. :)

Sounds like you know exactly what the answer to your question is, which is of course obvious: What's the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0? Condition of the comic, mostly the cover. This thread falls more in the "I collect a certain way and you don't therefore you're doing it wrong!" category.

No it isn't I like to read about other collector's opinions, and that's why I made this thread. This is after all a "message board" for collectors where they can come and discuss things related to collecting after all.

I hear you OP.

I don't mind low grade slabs...

Like you said, you're really only looking at the front cover.

I want an ASM 129. A 2.5 is on eBay for $200.

What's a 9.8 go for? $1200 or something.

At the end of the day, I just want to book with those beautiful key notes.

But, that's me and my collection focus.

Other's prefer a collection of high grade.

If you've got an ASM 129 for $1200...

:takeit:

I think everyone understands your point, completely.

The problem is the amount of wear on the cover of a 2.5 will be FAR MORE, than the amount of wear on a 9.0

Is that difference in wear doesn't effect your enjoyment of the book...may as well just buy the lowest condition book you can still be happy with. I am putting together an ASM run, and this is exactly what I do.

I think it’s rather the other way around, and here lies the answer as well: a collector who keeps the books in CGC cases probably favors the cover art, and the comic as a graded collectible "object", so he obviously wants the nicest presenting copies.

Although in this case, I question how good you can see the book through the plastic of the case: it is quite thick.

Not always.

The 3.0 blue label Black Terror # 1 on the CGC census looks like an 8.5.

The 3.0 is due to two of the interior wraps being detached. So when it sold at auction in 2007 it went for a very very strong price based on its front cover eye appeal when 90% of the books damage was sealed inside the CGC case.