• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really what is the difference with a cgc 2.5 compared to a 9.0?

130 posts in this topic

I have a few low to mid-grade Silver and Bronze keys, bought because I'd rather have a copy than not have a copy. Of course, I don't think it's necessary to slab a 2.5 grade Silver or Bronze.

For example, I have an ASM 122 with a clean front cover but a large sticker over most of the back cover. It would probably grade as a 2.0+/-, so why bother slabbing it? I think I paid about $10 for it, and it's wonderful as a display piece. Similar story for my Iron Fist 14, Amazing Adventures 11, etc. In their condition, the value of the slab would probably not be worth the cost of encapsulation.

Major Silver keys and Golden Age, however, may be worthwhile to slab even in 2.5 range. Also, the restoration check is helpful when/if you want to eventually sell them.

I guess my answer to the question is that 2.5s and CGC 9.0s are both good for collectors, but in general I'd rather have the 2.5 raw.

But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Everyone's preference of grade is different. Some people don't care what the book looks like as long as they have a copy. I like midgrade books for the eye appeal compared to their cost. Some people want books that look like they're new off the stands. Others want to play the "mine's bigger than yours" game and have a better copy than anyone else.

If you're concerned about keeping up with other collectors' high grade collections, don't. You don't have to buy everything in 9.6 if it means nothing to you. The prices skyrocket on nosebleed grades, and in my opinion, I think it's a ridiculous waste of money. As long as the high rollers ignore the VG/F to VF- copies I seek, and continue to discount them, I'm perfectly happy. :)

5.0-5.5-the midgrade collector's sweet spot.

As a midgrade collector, I think it's the best bang for the buck in the hobby.

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

But most people are slabbing them for investment purposes, and not for a read to collect as you allude. Who slabs books they want to collect to read?

If we want to take it to the extreme, then why bother with getting print comics slabbed at all?

All Digital comics grade 10.0

:grin:

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

But most people are slabbing them for investment purposes, and not for a read to collect as you allude. Who slabs books they want to collect to read?

If we want to take it to the extreme, then why bother with getting print comics slabbed at all?

All Digital comics grade 10.0

:grin:

I'm pretty much solely a collector. But obviously some books make great investments so I don't think it's either one or the other. I buy the highest graded book I can afford - why?

(1) eye appeal. You can't argue that a 2.5 looks as nice as a 9.0. It is what it is.

(2) "rarity". A SA book that is in terrific condition is harder to find than a 2.5. Comic collecting now is a lot different than it was in the 50's and 60's (and even the 70's). People bought comics just to read and enjoy and do with as they pleased. They didn't have Mylars or specially designed storage boxes and weren't concerned about "acid free" materials. So finding a book that was cared for and survived "the ravages of time" is :cloud9:

(3) I don't buy 2.5's or 9.0's to read. I buy TPB's. (shrug)

(4) Investment purposes - see 2 and items in "almost new" condition in any area of collecting, not just comics, demand a higher premium. To argue otherwise is :insane:

That's all I have for now. As numerous people have said - your topic would warrant further discussion if it were "Really what is the difference with a cgc 9.4 compared to a 9.8" - the way it is now, I don't think you understand "collecting" comics. I think you understand reading comics. 2c

Speedy, Jeffro, are you making fun of me? lol

The plastic of a CGC case does not surely allow the cover to show in its best light.

And Armin was obviously suggesting a reflection in a provocative way. A 2.5 I would not want, slabbed or unslabbed… :D

I have a few low to mid-grade Silver and Bronze keys, bought because I'd rather have a copy than not have a copy. Of course, I don't think it's necessary to slab a 2.5 grade Silver or Bronze.

For example, I have an ASM 122 with a clean front cover but a large sticker over most of the back cover. It would probably grade as a 2.0+/-, so why bother slabbing it? I think I paid about $10 for it, and it's wonderful as a display piece. Similar story for my Iron Fist 14, Amazing Adventures 11, etc. In their condition, the value of the slab would probably not be worth the cost of encapsulation.

Major Silver keys and Golden Age, however, may be worthwhile to slab even in 2.5 range. Also, the restoration check is helpful when/if you want to eventually sell them.

I guess my answer to the question is that 2.5s and CGC 9.0s are both good for collectors, but in general I'd rather have the 2.5 raw.

This is the way I approach my personal collection. Basically, I've always tried to buy the most affordable copy that still presents well. You can almost always find a decent 3.0 that still satisfies the need to own the book. If that's the reason you collect, of course.

As a younger collector I never understood why someone would want to own one high grade AF 15, as opposed to a low grade one, an FF 1, a Hulk 1, or a JIM 83 all for the same price. I've since realized I'm in the minority on this one; most collectors seem to prefer owning the very best they can get of whatever it is they love. Obviously, neither approach is better than the other. Gordon from Sesame Street taught me that we are all different, and that's what makes us special.

That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read.
If this is the foundation of your argument, the rest collapses. There are lots of people who buy slabbed books and crack them out to read. Remember, certification allows 3rd party input on grading and restoration and the slab locks that opinion in place. But it can still be opened and read.

What is the difference between marrying an attractive man/woman with a great personality vs. an ugly man/woman that's a PITA?

I mean, they're both people, right?

Marrying will get you a qualified grade. People are against marriage these days.

What is the difference between marrying an attractive man/woman with a great personality vs. an ugly man/woman that's a PITA?

I mean, they're both people, right?

Marrying will get you a qualified grade. People are against marriage these days.

lol

Does that mean a second marriage gets purple?

Apart from the obvious monetary value, What really is the difference? Unless the cover is torn or written on or highly damaged, why pay so much more for a much higher grade? I have seen vintage cgc 2.5 comics with a great looking cover. At the end of the day, That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read. So does it really make a huge change?

60 posts, 20 were new threads. hm

Apart from the obvious monetary value, What really is the difference? Unless the cover is torn or written on or highly damaged, why pay so much more for a much higher grade? I have seen vintage cgc 2.5 comics with a great looking cover. At the end of the day, That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read. So does it really make a huge change?

60 posts, 20 were new threads. hm

Maybe you should talk to the mods to set a limit on how much people can post daily weekly etc... ? Unless there's a limit ... Who cares ...