• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 GOTG sells for 10k. wow

99 posts in this topic

The price is too high and completely, specifically and inextricably tied to the movie hype. It will inevitably come down to earth. Those stating that it's "not even the same characters" do make a valid point, as the movie has retconned

other characters from the BA onto the team. It is pretty much just "guardians of the galaxy" in name only.

:gossip: PS: This thread should probably be in the SA forum.

-J.

The price is too high and completely, specifically and inextricably tied to the movie hype. It will inevitably come down to earth. Those stating that it's "not even the same characters" do make a valid point, as the movie has retconned

other characters from the BA onto the team. It is pretty much just "guardians of the galaxy" in name only.

-J.

After i posted it I kinda thought about that..

Darn 1969 .... fuzzy year all around I am sure so the rules don't apply..

(thumbs u

-J.

After i posted it I kinda thought about that..

Darn 1969 .... fuzzy year all around I am sure so the rules don't apply..

(thumbs u

If I'm not mistaken GL 76 is considered the start of BA....

-J.

-J.

Hey Jay. Yeah, I think we all know that most team members in the movie are new compared to the original team. That should not be any basis for a discussion. However, just like JLA has changed members a million times... and no matter which team they end up going with in the movie...or in newer versions of JLA... we still know that BB28 is a key book. I understand that MSH18 is a central book when it comes to GOTG.

Regarding the price... yeah it is probably going to go down once the movie talk dies down. And all the books that rose in price will probably come down with it... TTA13, MP4, MP7, and MSH18. However, the fact that a sequel is coming... makes it interesting to see how the market will behave.

That seems like a lot for 10.0/9.9...

a 9.6?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Let's try to get a few facts into this frenzy.... :baiting:

There is no 9.9 nor 10 in the census.

There is only a single 9.8 in the census. That sold recently for $19.000.

Let's get one fact straight here. :baiting:

Anybody using the CGC census to rationalize spending over $19K on a 9.8 copy of this book or even $10K on a 9.6 copy of this very common book is all of the following:

1) totally oblivious to CGC pricing history for hot common books;

2) totally short-sighted;

3) totally :screwy: , and

4) will suffer a huge paper loss if they intend to hold the book for any period of time.

History should clearly tell you that these census numbers are totally irrelevant as there will be many many more uber high grade copies being pulled out of private collections once everybody starts hearing about these prices.

I will say, however, that this is still a much better buy than the $6.5K+ paid out for the CGC 9.6 copy of My Little Pony #12 from way back in the ancient days of 2013 right in the next lot which is more than totally :screwy::screwy::screwy:

I don't think the"it's not the same team" is a legit concern really.

Its like saying "it's not the same Thor" just because he looks differently (or is a woman)... "or not the same Wonder Woman in the movie" just because apparently they put her clothing etc together differently. For teams we also know they change members. JLA had a million members over the years... and no matter which team they go with in the movie... BB28 will be the central key. Superman and Batman oftenwas not even part of the JLA stories. And so on and on.

I fully see why MSH18 is a central book for anyone interested in GOTG.

But 10K for a 9.6 is still a lot.... :)

I am guessing you have one that you will try and sell soon. :popcorn:

How old are you again?

Let's try to discuss books, rather than get personal. I have one and I'm not selling it.

Getting personal? You seemed to be defending that book. I assumed that you may be selling one soon. And you do have one. hm

Not here to argue. Good luck with your sale.

Wow, a class act. Do you really have to be so sardonic and nasty because someone disagrees with you? Question their motives because they might have a single copy of said book?

He did say 9.6 was obviously high

I agree .I think 10k or even half of that is pretty insane.

I do think this book is the most important GoTG book there is. To me, who the team members are does not matter. You will hear the same argument over and over: None of the other superhero teams from the movies were correct compared to the first apperance in comics, I dont think they ever will be. They picked what worked better for the big screen.

Guess what? I dont own any copies of this book. What now? Oh thats right, I must be this guys old college roomate. Or his cousin.

Beleive it or not, people can still have unbiased opinions about certain subjects without allowing their vested status interfering. Its called being a man. It's called having integrity. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Using your logic, I should conclude Lou Fine in his above post is just peeved that he sold his HG hoard of these books long ago, and that his opinion of the importance and price of this book means nothing because he is biased and bitter. Which is absolutly an absurd conclusion. Lou is right, people are being really irresponsible basing prices on ever changing and ( many times) innacurate census data. Long term this will do nothing but hurt our hobby.

I do think this book is the most important GoTG book there is. To me, who the team members are does not matter. You will hear the same argument over and over: None of the other superhero teams from the movies were correct compared to the first apperance in comics, I dont think they ever will be. They picked what worked better for the big screen.

Using your logic, I should conclude Lou Fine in his above post is just peeved that he sold his HG hoard of these books long ago, and that his opinion of the importance and price of this book means nothing because he is biased and bitter. Which is absolutly an absurd conclusion.

Yes, an absolutely silly conclusion as I do have high grade copies of all of the GOTG related books, with the only exceptions being TTA 13, Hulk 271, and possibly MP 7. I personally believe there are a ton of nice copies out there of most of these books as collectors were already bagging and boarding these books right off the newsstands, especially with respect to the Starlin books.

Now if you ask me where I actually have them, I wouldn't really be able to tell you as none of them were worth any real value when I stored them away. I know they are buried in there somewhere all bagged and boarded like so many other thousands of copies sitting in other personal collections.

BTW: I do agree with your first point up above as to MSH 18 being the GOTG book to obtain going forward. (thumbs u

Using your logic, I should conclude Lou Fine in his above post is just peeved that he sold his HG hoard of these books long ago, and that his opinion of the importance and price of this book means nothing because he is biased and bitter. Which is absolutly an absurd conclusion.

Yes, an absolutely silly conclusion as I do have high grade copies of all of the GOTG related books, with the only exceptions being TTA 13, Hulk 271, and possibly MP 7. I personally believe there are a ton of nice copies out there of most of these books as collectors were already bagging and boarding these books right off the newsstands, especially with respect to the Starlin books.

Now if you ask me where I actually have them, I wouldn't really be able to tell you as none of them were worth any real value when I stored them away. I know they are buried in there somewhere all bagged and boarded like so many other thousands of copies sitting in other personal collections.

BTW: I do agree with your first point up above as to MSH 18 being the GOTG book to obtain going forward. (thumbs u

Hey there Lou, sorry I kinda dragged you into that conversation, I think it made my point very well however.

You are right about there being a decent amount of HG copies out there of most things post '67. People do not realize how many copies of these late silver and early bronze age comics were printed, and the fact that it was the start of heavy speculation in comics and the start of hobby wide preservation. Thats not to say these books are easy to come by... it just means paying crazy amounts for a comic because " right now" there is only a few high grade copies graded by CGC on the census is silly.

I guess its the era we live in now. If its not on eBay, or on the CGC census, it might as well not exist. Only when these long stored away copies appear does the price stabalize. IMHO, what the general collecting community should do is start assuming previously unimportant/low value 1997 and prior books are out there and it will take time to get them to market, and to have some patience. The last thing we want is to lose all these new collectors.

10K for a common as dirt book?

laughingandpointing.gif

The only reason there isn't many high grade in the census is the fact nobody cared to get this book graded.Now that mistake of a price is going to change that,and they will be coming outta the woodwork.What a joke! Whoever bought this book is going to get burned when prices settle to what they should be,and that's the sad thing.That's when you lose a collector for life.

Personally I wouldn't pay a hundred dollars for this book.

10K for a common as dirt book?

laughingandpointing.gif

The only reason there isn't many high grade in the census is the fact nobody cared to get this book graded.Now that mistake of a price is going to change that,and they will be coming outta the woodwork.What a joke! Whoever bought this book is going to get burned when prices settle to what they should be,and that's the sad thing.That's when you lose a collector for life.

Personally I wouldn't pay a hundred dollars for this book.

lol Sale makes no sense. Burned is an understatement.

Its like saying "it's not the same Thor" just because he looks differently (or is a woman)... "or not the same Wonder Woman in the movie" just because apparently they put her clothing etc together differently. For teams we also know they change members. JLA had a million members over the years... and no matter which team they go with in the movie... BB28 will be the central key. Superman and Batman oftenwas not even part of the JLA stories. And so on and on.

How old are you again?

Let's try to discuss books, rather than get personal. I have one and I'm not selling it.

Getting personal? You seemed to be defending that book. I assumed that you may be selling one soon. And you do have one. hm

Wow, a class act. Do you really have to be so sardonic and nasty because someone disagrees with you? Question their motives because they might have a single copy of said book?

Guess what? I dont own any copies of this book. What now? Oh thats right, I must be this guys old college roomate. Or his cousin.

Beleive it or not, people can still have unbiased opinions about certain subjects without allowing their vested status interfering. Its called being a man. It's called having integrity. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Using your logic, I should conclude Lou Fine in his above post is just peeved that he sold his HG hoard of these books long ago, and that his opinion of the importance and price of this book means nothing because he is biased and bitter. Which is absolutly an absurd conclusion. Lou is right, people are being really irresponsible basing prices on ever changing and ( many times) innacurate census data. Long term this will do nothing but hurt our hobby.

:facepalm:lol

How old are you again?

:roflmao: Sardonic! lol

GLWTS :baiting:

How old are you again?

:acclaim: All that for wishing them good luck with the sales.

Anyone who knows anything about these comics will mock the 10K sale as a bunch of BS. The people who come out of the wood work to defend it....may have a vested interest in that book? hm I am sure they will jump back on and call me more names. lol I love the Internet. zzz

That comic is junk. :sumo:. And I own one.

83bc2e0105caf87f872982016f11b95e_zpsa3c86cc7.jpg[/img]

How old are you again?

Anyone who knows anything about these comics will mock the 10K sale as a bunch of BS. The people who come out of the wood work to defend it....may have a vested interest in that book? hm I am sure they will jump back on and call me more names. lol I love the Internet. zzz

Right! Who is he trying to kid,and I don't own one.It's not even on my radar,or want list.I'm trying to find real keys for the collection. lol

I am not going to say its a book worth anything . I dont worry about prices and done care if they are high (unless I want to buy it) but I think this is the most important GOTG book . Sure its not the exact team but its the first app of the group who have changed member's over the years. The Avengers have a different lineup in the comics and in the next movie but Avengers #1 is the first app of the group. There is the first app of the group as a whole and then there is the first app of the movie group which will change a little each movie release. So for the avengers we have Avengers #1 which is the first app of the group and the movie (first movie) and then there is somewhere the first app of the 2nd movie group where Scarlet and QuickSilver join.

For Guardians we have Marvel Super Heroes #18 the first app of the Guardians of the Galaxy group (and yondu) and Analiation Conquest # 1or 6 is the first app of the movie group.

I do own this book but not selling and its a gd-vg copy anyway . I also dont think its worth what it supposedly sold for, all I am saying is that this is a key book considering the popularity of the movie . Also they did say they will introduce other Guardians in the nest movie and going forward so this group may all show up at some point.

How old are you again?

Right! Who is he trying to kid,and I don't own one.It's not even on my radar,or want list.I'm trying to find real keys for the collection. lol

The more I read the more I agree with Oak. This sale does kind of have that GL 76 feel to it....

-J.