• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 GOTG sells for 10k. wow

99 posts in this topic

thank you for a "RARE" common sense post on these boards, the CGC census is of no reliability to the real numbers of post 1967 comics, there are only 3000 some members of CGC at this time. it goes without saying that that was an insane price paid for the comic , probably 20 times too much,

I am new to these boards and CGC collecting and I only collect golden age because of its rarity and I really am shocked at the comics people are having slabbed these days ..... brand new ones and paying $20 bucks each to slab drek

:applause: Here is someone who gets it. No way is that a real sale. And if it is.....it's the dumbest sale I have ever seen. :sumo: But what about Yondo??? Get the hell out O here.

Just curious why you don't think this is a real sale ? (I agree with everything you say)

I would guess its hard to shill / fake a heritage sale on a 10k book ?

thank you for a "RARE" common sense post on these boards, the CGC census is of no reliability to the real numbers of post 1967 comics, there are only 3000 some members of CGC at this time. it goes without saying that that was an insane price paid for the comic , probably 20 times too much,

I am new to these boards and CGC collecting and I only collect golden age because of its rarity and I really am shocked at the comics people are having slabbed these days ..... brand new ones and paying $20 bucks each to slab drek

:applause: Here is someone who gets it. No way is that a real sale. And if it is.....it's the dumbest sale I have ever seen. :sumo: But what about Yondo??? Get the hell out O here.

Just curious why you don't think this is a real sale ? (I agree with everything you say)

I would guess its hard to shill / fake a heritage sale on a 10k book ?

What's up. I understand the whole movie hype thing. Have seen it many times over the years. I get the whole comic is blowing up due to movie hype. Spending over 10K on a comic is a whole different animal. And on that comic that is foolish. I have collected only Marvel comics for like 30 years. I have seen this book for sale so many times. It's not rare or hard to find at all. And the fact that it does not have any of the characters from the movie (besides Yondo) is a huge blow to that comic. So the person who bought this payed that much for a logo???

I can even see why TTA #13 and Hulk #271 are exploding. I remember Hulk #271 as a .50 cent comic. I may have bought my copy for that price. But the movie has made it's movie goers love these characters. And I get why the first appearances are moving and agree with it.

I don't know how you shill a heritage auction. But it does not seem like a realalistic price for this comic.

To all n00bs, lurkers and the feeble minded - questioning someone's motives for promoting a book or for trumpeting the "value" or the "trends" of a sale is not bullying. It is trying to determine whether there is real logic behind the opinion, or whether it is a thinly veneered pump and dump. This place has become a Mos Eisley for pump and dumpers.

Buy what you like, do your homework, and remember that faceless people on the Internet have agendas too. Frankie takes a lot of bullets for situations like this, but if he opens up one set of eyes, it is worth it.

To all n00bs, lurkers and the feeble minded - questioning someone's motives for promoting a book or for trumpeting the "value" or the "trends" of a sale is not bullying. It is trying to determine whether there is real logic behind the opinion, or whether it is a thinly veneered pump and dump. This place has become a Mos Eisley for pump and dumpers.

Buy what you like, do your homework, and remember that faceless people on the Internet have agendas too. Frankie takes a lot of bullets for situations like this, but if he opens up one set of eyes, it is worth it.

Thanks a lot Bro! That was nicely put! (worship) How do I seem to get into these situations often? lol

I will ask you your opinion. Because you also know these comics. Does the 10K sale seem legit? I was looking at GPA on this book this morning, a 9.8 sale at 19K is CRAZY. The 10K sale and two 9.6 sales for 5,200 and 4,000. :screwy: Have the movie hype bandwagon taken this to a whole new level? That is insane money for this book. Or because this was a square bound is it hard to find in high grade. The amount of copies that will be subbed for this comic if the high sales are legit will be mind numbing. This comic would fall into the ranks or a mega key. Which is also nuts.

Alot of speculators who don't know the details etc look at how incredible the movie did and know the movie is a runaway hit and look online and see the 1st app of the guardians of the galaxy is MSH 18 and jump on it . This is a key book but I also cant phantom a sale in that range. But I will add as Hulk 271 and TTA 13 and the magazine first app of Rocket and Starlord started to go up a year ago people were saying the same thing and now TTA 13 and the magazines are going for thousands in high grade and Hulk 271 is in the $800 range so this may be happening to this book even if it is not the actual team.

Wait until the Defenders TV series hits and if its a success . That defenders TV show has zero to do with the comic team but watch Marvel Feature #1 hit the roof.

Thanks a lot Bro! That was nicely put! (worship) How do I seem to get into these situations often? lol

I will ask you your opinion. Because you also know these comics. Does the 10K sale seem legit? I was looking at GPA on this book this morning, a 9.8 sale at 19K is CRAZY. The 10K sale and two 9.6 sales for 5,200 and 4,000. :screwy: Have the movie hype bandwagon taken this to a whole new level? That is insane money for this book. Or because this was a square bound is it hard to find in high grade. The amount of copies that will be subbed for this comic if the high sales are legit will be mind numbing. This comic would fall into the ranks or a mega key. Which is also nuts.

Right now, there is an unbelievable groundswell in first appearance speculation. It seems like a lot of the money that went into the Walking Dead run up and the subsequent Image explosion is parking itself in high grade late Silver through Copper first appearances. Coming from a guy that has or had anywhere from 1 to 40 copies of a lot of Bronze and Copper 1st appearances, it has been a crazy ride.

I think the biggest problem is the greater fool aspect of this type of speculation. I normally feel like I know where there is room to grow and where the purchaser is holding the bag. GL 76 anyone? With the GoG, I feel like these are bag holder sales, but I have been wrong before.

All of the so-called "GotG books (with the possible exception of IM55, if you even want to include that one), have a whiff of fraud, market manipulation and speculation gone nuts. There are a lot of people who are going to lose a lot of money on these books.

MP 4/7: Nearly every single auction on ebay that closes over $500 has at least one or two obvious shill bids on it, artificially pushing up the price. Nearly every "Buy it Now" that's over $1000 is fake with multiple re-lists of the same book, over and over again, under various ebay usernames (I have come to like referring to this type of shilling as "GPA spiking" (trademarked 2014 by Jaydorules :devil:).

IH 271: The only reason this book is on anybody's radar at all is because CGC had it labeled incorrectly as RR's "first appearance". After all the sheeple bought the book and artificially drove up the price, and the all knowing-comic gurus notified CGC of their error, in an obvious act of pandering on overdrive, CGC "corrected" the label to say "first comic book appearance" of RR. WTF is that? Name one other book where a character's first "comic book appearance" is mentioned on a label (that did not appear in another medium first....no, a comic magazine (aka, a big, black and white comic book) does not count as "another medium").

MSH #18: As has already been mentioned, the title is basically being collected and overpaid for because of....the title. Oh, and Yondo. So this book is evidently more than twice the price of a Hulk 181 in a 9.8 because.... why again?

TTA13: This book was basically toilet paper before the movie, but since the inanity of this book's sudden and illogical increase in value is tied to the lie/myth that has also influenced the prices of ALL of these books, I will explain below..

Each and everyone of these books has followed the same carnival barking (the "pump") pattern in order to justify their sudden "relevance":

1) The book is "rare". Then when there are 30-50 copies available on ebay on any given day, the next lie told is:

2) The book is "rare" in "high grade". Then when a dozen "high grade" copies start appearing on ebay at one time, the next lie told is:

3) The book is "rare" on the census. And then when a few CGC copies appear to go for big money and they start flooding onto the census, the final lie told is:

4) The book is "rare" in "high grade" on the census. And then when tons of high grade copies get slabbed, it's "Game over man" (said in Bill Paxton's voice in "Aliens).

(FYI, I just gave every speculator/dealer and wary collector the ability to time the market and get ahead of the next book "pump". You're welcome. (thumbs u )

It will be then that the "dump" occurs and the game of musical chairs with the books will end.

Here's why:

Actual "collectors" knew who these characters were before. And they didn't care about them. That's 40-60 years of collector apathy. That means the people buying these books are mostly speculators and bandwagon collectors. Nothing wrong with being either, but let's just call a duck a duck, I've been a "bandwagon collector" (trademarked 2014 by Jaydogrules :devil:) myself on occasion

Is it really reasonable to say that one hit movie suddenly changed everyone's mind's about the significance, "coolness", etc. of these characters overnight? Of course not. While it has exposed the characters certainly to the general public, the "general public" does not buy comic books, and will certainly not pay "$2000" for the first appearance of Starlord and Rocket Raccoon in a CGC 9.6 slab (not that that has ever actually, legitimately happened).

And by the way, if I had the time, I would make a list of how many actual high grade keys $2,000 could buy someone.

The sudden interest in these books is tied exclusively, utterly, and completely to this movie. THAT, my friends, is the very definition of "market speculation".

If a book was worth $5.00 nine months ago and people are suddenly hyping up the book to the point where it appears to be selling for hundreds, or even thousands of dollars......woo-hooooo, watch out below!

-J.

IH 271: The only reason this book is on anybody's radar at all is because CGC had it labeled incorrectly as RR's "first appearance". After all the sheeple bought the book and artificially drove up the price, and the all knowing-comic gurus notified CGC of their error, in an obvious act of pandering on overdrive, CGC "corrected" the label to say "first comic book appearance" of RR. WTF is that? Name one other book where a character's first "comic book appearance" is mentioned on a label (that did not appear in another medium first....no, a comic magazine (aka, a big, black and white comic book) does not count as "another medium").

This is still not correct.

TTA13: This book was basically toilet paper before the movie,

This is also not correct.

As a pre-hero 1960 Marvel, it has been in demand since the 90's, and possibly earlier, simply for being a pre-hero 1960 Marvel (all of which are quite difficult to find, especially in high grade.)

People have been saying this about Hulk 271 for months and it has done nothing to affect the prices. Everyone knows its not his first app by now and the price still climbs , people on this board know and yous till see it going for high prices on the sales board . Afraid the prices are here to stay.

. Again I dont know much about schilling but if thats the case then that stinks. if the movie had flopped we would have seen some correction but with the success and sequel in 2017 the prices for all these GOTG books will keep going up or at the least no correcting to where they should be. I purchased my 2 copies of Hulk 271 for $5 and I would never have paid more then $20 tops. it really is insane.

As a pre-hero 1960 Marvel, it has been in demand since the 90's, and possibly earlier, simply for being a pre-hero 1960 Marvel (all of which are quite difficult to find, especially in high grade.)

I agreed with a lot of your post Jaydogrules. :applause:

But The TTA #13 was looked at by pre hero fans long before the movie as something they wanted. Not because of Groot. Just because it was TTA #13 and we needed it for our sets. When I bought my copy.....I did not know Groot was connected to Guardians of the Galaxy.....or care about that at the time that I bought it.

Being a big Pre Hero fan myself ...it's cool to see one of the forgotten about pre hero monsters get some fan repect. :cloud9::headbang:

Also I found that issue hard to find before the hype began. But I am sure the hype shook a lot of copies out of people's collections. So now it appears there are many more copies in the market for sale.

The MSH #18 issues.....I have seen for sale more times then I can count. So I am not swayed on the it's hard to find scale. And that's why I am sooooo shocked at the prices that they appear to be selling.

People have been saying this about Hulk 271 for months and it has done nothing to affect the prices. Everyone knows its not his first app by now and the price still climbs , people on this board know and yous till see it going for high prices on the sales board . Afraid the prices are here to stay.

. Again I dont know much about schilling but if thats the case then that stinks. if the movie had flopped we would have seen some correction but with the success and sequel in 2017 the prices for all these GOTG books will keep going up or at the least no correcting to where they should be. I purchased my 2 copies of Hulk 271 for $5 and I would never have paid more then $20 tops. it really is insane.

Are you sure about that? Only a tiny, tiny, fraction of the comic book buying public is on these boards. And it may take the overall market some time to course correct from this blatant CGC error on the label:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-FIRST-ROCKET-RACCOON-MARVEL-GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-MOVIE-/331272936993?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d2167de21&nma=true&si=T6Np1tB5%252FZYDnmTPautXEt6zbyY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-App-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-/141362222551?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20e9d855d7

And even with the correct label plenty of sellers are just plain lying and "still" calling it RR's "first appearance":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-WP-1st-App-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-Movie-/251603878679?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a94c28317

Gives new meaning to the phrase "buyer beware".

-J.

Are you sure about that? Only a tiny, tiny, fraction of the comic book buying public is on these boards. And it may take the overall market some time to course correct from this blatant CGC error on the label:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-FIRST-ROCKET-RACCOON-MARVEL-GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-MOVIE-/331272936993?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d2167de21&nma=true&si=T6Np1tB5%252FZYDnmTPautXEt6zbyY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-App-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-/141362222551?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20e9d855d7

And even with the correct label plenty of sellers are just plain lying and "still" calling it RR's "first appearance":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-271-CGC-9-8-WP-1st-App-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-Movie-/251603878679?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a94c28317

-J.

What I meant was that the buyers on this board are usually more informed then the ebay buyers but I agree with your points,.

I agreed with a lot of your post Jaydogrules. :applause:

But The TTA #13 was looked at by pre hero fans long before the movie as something they wanted. Not because of Groot. Just because it was TTA #13 and we needed it for our sets. When I bought my copy.....I did not know Groot was connected to Guardians of the Galaxy.....or care about that at the time that I bought it.

Being a big Pre Hero fan myself ...it's cool to see one of the forgotten about pre hero monsters get some fan repect. :cloud9::headbang:

Also I found that issue hard to find before the hype began. But I am sure the hype shook a lot of copies out of people's collections. So now it appears there are many more copies in the market for sale.

The MSH #18 issues.....I have seen for sale more times then I can count. So I am not swayed on the it's hard to find scale. And that's why I am sooooo shocked at the prices that they appear to be selling.

You're right (and you as well RMA) about the TTA 13, I perhaps used a bit too strong comedic hyperbole to describe that one, it has been of niche interest to some collectors looking to complete runs, but it was never considered "significant" unto itself because of Groot and it certainly was not expensive.

But as you said, with now a dozen copies available on ebay on any given day we can see that the book is quite handy.

-J.

-J.

What I emant was that the buyers on this board are usually more informed then the ebay buyers but I agree with your points,.

:baiting::foryou:

-J.

-J.

Nobody is paying hundreds of dollars based on the seller's claim that it's RR's first appearance. No one. I guarantee you that no one who bought this book for hundreds of dollars then turned around and said "WHAT??? It's NOT RR's REAL first appearance??? doh! "

How stupid do you think everyone is...?

Stupid enough, but not THAT stupid.

-J.

Nobody is paying hundreds of dollars based on the seller's claim that it's RR's first appearance. No one. I guarantee you that no one who bought this book for hundreds of dollars then turned around and said "WHAT??? It's NOT RR's REAL first appearance??? doh! "

How stupid do you think everyone is...?

Stupid enough, but not THAT stupid.

I know a rhetorical question when I see one.... :baiting:

-J.

This statement was obviously intended to include me, not me solely, but I would like to respond to it.

I do understand what you are saying Seanfingh. I suppose you could call me a lurker, I registered in 2007 and only have a few hundred posts, but I just think of myself as quiet, normally. The other two adjectives while they may describe some, that's not me.

I responded to how Frankie approached that fellow because it just didn't set right with me. It came across as nasty, without needing to be. There are other ways to say what he said without being that way. How about " well I still don't believe you, sorry" Instead he chose the smart, nasty approach, which bothered me enough to make a rare post. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe he ( and apparently you ) have just seen too many lies in this industry to believe anyone anymore, either way I felt like I needed to say something , so I did.

I've seen the pump and dumpers in all sections of this board, modern is really bad with it. That doesn't mean anyone talking positive about a book is doing this, and I think its counterproductive to be nasty to people in order to determine their true motives. The idea that acting this way is good if it opens even one set of eyes is a little disturbing , at least to me. Surely there is a better way.

The main conversation in this thread was about the 10k sale, which from what I've read most everyone agrees its too high, to what degree is different from person to person it seems. What gets twisted up in that conversation is the validity of the book at all. Just because I personally believe, and others believe that MSH 18 is a very important GOTG book, doesn't mean I , or others agree with or are defending the 10k sale. Please don't mix those two different things up. If you come here and trash a book completely because of an absurd sale, people who like the book, for whatever reason, will defend it. That doesn't mean they are defending that single sale of the book. I think if you re-read some of these posts you will see that.

I can see why some will say this book isn't important, different characters et cetera. However, myself and others should be allowed to disagree with that without being attacked and our personal integrity questioned. I didn't see any blatant pumping of this book. Just people who like it defending the book in general. As I stated earlier I had a few raw copies I dug out and sold off when the movie was announced, I just didn't believe they could make it work, so I sold 'em. I have no dog in this race. Just an opinion that apparently means I am vested and up to no good.

Edit: Made my CGC account in late 2007, didn't register on the boards until 2009 ( pretty sure that's how it went anyways )

Edit2: Just wanted to add one thing about the rarity of this book. Most Marvel books from this era had similar print runs, none of them are rare. Calling one rare and others common is pretty silly. I think the correct thing would be to say some books from this era were never cared about, so they tend to be found in groups and become more readily available, MSH 18 defiantly falls into this category, there will be a plentiful supply of this book over the next few months for sure. More popular books from this era? Spread out across the globe, harder to find on the market, but still similar print runs.

People are comparing true supply to current availability, which is dangerous ( this ties directly into the census conversation ) While many of the popular books were eventually thrown away and existing copies lower grade from being read, the unpopular books had covers torn off, were thrown away for credit. Attrition surely set in on the groups of these unpopular books, many of which were not bagged and boarded, sat in long boxes for decades with degrading paper quality and a high chance of damage. All in all, I think most books from this era all have similar " True Supply" The only difference is where they are, and how fast they can come to market ( one person selling a hundred copies, VS 100 people selling 1 copy each )

+1

As soon as I read that part I was ready to post this exact counter.

+1

As soon as I read that part I was ready to post this exact counter.

The point was probably more that it was in no greater demand than the other monster books of that era. Or at least, no *significant* difference.