• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extreme Collectors - Captain America #1

14 posts in this topic

I searched and don't think this has been posted but if so, start up the Titanic Sinks images.

Extreme Collectors is a Canadian show that happened to be on Discovery Network in the states. One of the episodes I caught featured a Captain America #1 signed by Joe Simon and Stan Lee (a 6.0 PLOD). The owner from Dallas (possibly a board member) mainly had an action figure collection although I think I saw an AF 15 under the CA 1.

What I thought was interesting is the owner appeared to have no idea of current value and even though it was slabbed by CGC - I don't think CGC or professionally graded or similar was ever mentioned even when the expert looked at the book. I forget the expert's name but they gave - he said it was first he had ever held a CA 1.

I realize these shows are staged but it was just curious. Anyone else see the show?

Here is a link to the episode although apparently if you are US based, you cannot view the show online. I like shows and the host - just to see the different types of collections.

http://www.slice.ca/extreme-collectors/episode-guide/captain-america-1/

I searched and don't think this has been posted but if so, start up the Titanic Sinks images.

Extreme Collectors is a Canadian show that happened to be on Discovery Network in the states. One of the episodes I caught featured a Captain America #1 signed by Joe Simon and Stan Lee (a 6.0 PLOD). The owner from Dallas (possibly a board member) mainly had an action figure collection although I think I saw an AF 15 under the CA 1.

What I thought was interesting is the owner appeared to have no idea of current value and even though it was slabbed by CGC - I don't think CGC or professionally graded or similar was ever mentioned even when the expert looked at the book. I forget the expert's name but they gave - he said it was first he had ever held a CA 1.

I realize these shows are staged but it was just curious. Anyone else see the show?

Here is a link to the episode although apparently if you are US based, you cannot view the show online. I like shows and the host - just to see the different types of collections.

http://www.slice.ca/extreme-collectors/episode-guide/captain-america-1/

I have this show on my DVR. I too thought that was a little suspect especially after hearing he paid $15,000 for it. How can you pay $15,000 for something and not know how much it is worth???

I also thought it was interesting that he had a AF #15 that they completely ignored.

I like the show, but as someone who does appraisals I would not want to appraise those kinds of collections. Could you imagine having to estimate the value of all those loose action figures? Or even having to go through and look for rare variants?

I also think the show gives people the wrong idea about collecting. The show shows it from an 'investment angle.' Look how much you paid for your collection and how much it is now worth. Unfortunately after you factor in transaction costs that range from 20-25% upon selling some of these items and maintenance and insurance costs those prices are not accurate. Add in taxes on any gains and it is just not realistic at all. All these shows do is continue to enforce the false notion that antiques and collectibles should serve as some kind of alternate asset for the AVERAGE person when in fact only those knowledgeable enough in their chosen fields should be attempting such a feat.

I truly believe that certain aspects of antiques and collectibles market are currently in a speculative bubble that will eventually experience a correction.

I also thought it was interesting that he had a AF #15 that they completely ignored.

I didn't have it DVRed and couldn't go back but I thought that was AF 15. The sale is recorded in GPA - $15K in February/2011.

Appraised out at $75K on the show.

For the purposes of the show the owner of a collection always says he doesn't know what his collection is worth and always acts surprised when he gets the appraisal. I'm sure they have a good idea what there collection is worth and what the big ticket items in their collection are worth.

It's still an enjoyable show and I enjoy seeing what other types of collections are out there.

For the purposes of the show the owner of a collection always says he doesn't know what his collection is worth and always acts surprised when he gets the appraisal. I'm sure they have a good idea what there collection is worth and what the big ticket items in their collection are worth.

It's still an enjoyable show and I enjoy seeing what other types of collections are out there.

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. I just like seeing the items and maybe learning a little about them. I don't pay much attention at all to the scripted junk. Just like Pawn Stars.

Oh I agree, that's why I mentioned it was staged.

Just found it curious that the AF 15 and CGC were never mentioned. Supposedly it was evaluate his action figure collection but showed hardly any of that. I would have liked to have the figures myself.

Still like the show for the reasons mentioned above and the host is good.

Oh I agree, that's why I mentioned it was staged.

Just found it curious that the AF 15 and CGC were never mentioned. Supposedly it was evaluate his action figure collection but showed hardly any of that. I would have liked to have the figures myself.

Still like the show for the reasons mentioned above and the host is good.

Sorry to say, but I think the show was already cancelled.

On 8/10/2014 at 11:33 AM, mintcollector said:

i agree...they only wanted to focus on specific things.  we filmed for 3 days and 90% of it was never used unfortunately.  

12 minutes ago, Steve_75 said:

Hi...Im actually the guy in the video with the Captain America #1 and i can tell you the entire thing was staged.  i was told what to say and how to react and it was very awkward.  

Hurray for Hollywood!

13 hours ago, Steve_75 said:

Hi...Im actually the guy in the video with the Captain America #1 and i can tell you the entire thing was staged.  i was told what to say and how to react and it was very awkward.  

Thank you for joining - and joining in the discussion! 

Welcome to the boards!