• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would never post a topic:

115 posts in this topic

How about this scenario. Let's say someone picks up some comics at a yard sale and really has no idea of their value. Thinks maybe they look old and might be worth a few bucks or just wants to read them because they look interesting. Turns out they are worth thousands of dollars. Now what?
How would they ever find out?

They decide to look it up on ebay. Or someone sees it and tells them. Would it make difference to your answer?

No. I think as long as you didn't knowingly rip someone off it's all good.

Thanks for your answer. I thought maybe you would still try and give them some money. I might depending on the value and if I remembered where I got it from.

The funniest I heard was some Hispanic girls talking about the removal of snack machines and the new healthy nasty lunches-she said 'that's them white people that do that'

I really don't get that many racist comments. I hear them from time to time, but they are mostly from students who rarely come to school as it is. Eventually it becomes a running joke and I make jokes about it too. Like if the kids take a shot at the trash can I try to knock it down and tell them they got schooled by a fat white guy. They think its funny.

One thing I've learned about teaching in a rough school is you can't take yourself too seriously.

I was obvioulsy talking about Italy, as I cannot have no clue about other countries, and I am sure the majority of teachers take – or strive to take – their job seriously. That goes without saying.

My comment was about the premises of teaching, rather a more philosophical problem than how much each teacher puts good effort in his practice. And this vastly differs across cultures…

The generic comment about technology stands… because I have seen how it has evolved. I am 45 and thus by mere age I have seen it a bit more than you, said without any presumption or assumption. I have been using a computer since 1984 or so…

I still agree with Kav though. Parental support is key. A stupid kid can get through school if they have a parent watching out for them.

So if you had children, would you deny them a computer and a smartphone?

The funniest I heard was some Hispanic girls talking about the removal of snack machines and the new healthy nasty lunches-she said 'that's them white people that do that'

I really don't get that many racist comments. I hear them from time to time, but they are mostly from students who rarely come to school as it is. Eventually it becomes a running joke and I make jokes about it too. Like if the kids take a shot at the trash can I try to knock it down and tell them they got schooled by a fat white guy. They think its funny.

One thing I've learned about teaching in a rough school is you can't take yourself too seriously.

Yep. Those teachers get eaten alive.

Sometimes they SNAP

If you walked into an LCS and they had a hot book priced at guide (which is say 10x less then what it's going for on eBay) are you going to pull the book and say to the owner "Hey this book is going for $200 on eBay, you've got it listed for $20, i'd like to pay the $200" Or are you going to hand him the book and a $20 and say thanks and walk out?

Given that the store owner earns his living selling comic books, most would consider him a professional in the field. A layperson expects to be able to walk into the store, and get educated answers about comic books, the same way you expect your mechanic to answer car questions. He should know what his inventory is worth. If he doesn't change his price, that's his problem.

Not directed at Jay specifically, but consider yourself on the other side of the scenario. Grandpa passes away, and leaves you his collection of motor oil cans, tin signs, pushbars, calendars, and other motor oil branded items. That's typical of a collection of that type, and the oil guys know this stuff inside and out, but you don't know jack about it. What are the chances of you pricing it out without leaving too much money on the table, or pricing too high so no one wants it?

Good question. Ultimately, these items will go to someone who really wants them, even if a middle man does make some (or a lot of money) on it.

How about this scenario. Let's say someone picks up some comics at a yard sale and really has no idea of their value. Thinks maybe they look old and might be worth a few bucks or just wants to read them because they look interesting. Turns out they are worth thousands of dollars. Now what?
How would they ever find out?

They decide to look it up on ebay. Or someone sees it and tells them. Would it make difference to your answer?

No. I think as long as you didn't knowingly rip someone off it's all good.

Thanks for your answer. I thought maybe you would still try and give them some money. I might depending on the value and if I remembered where I got it from.

I might if I became wealthy overnight, but if I made a couple hundred I wouldn't. I don't think it's necessary. I hadn't even thought of it until it was brought up in a discussion about Chuck and his Milehigh find. I think Chuck was fair, but someone else said he could have dropped a few bucks their way after making all that money. You could, that would be nice, but I wouldn't judge someone for not doing at as long as they were honest and up front when buying the comics. I have read threads on here of dealers buying collections, and their method when they go through the garage full of milkcrates of unbagged Bronze comics. They explain grade, they explain value, they explain their overhead and the work involved maximizing profits. They explain the time it takes to clear through the inventory, how some of the inventory might just not sell at all, and so on. Then they offer what they believe to be a fair price calculating in overhead and labor and the fact that they want to make a profit too. I think this amounts to about ten percent of FMV being common. That's totally cool. And if the seller says "Hey, why only ten percent? Screw you, I'm selling this for full value!" then leave your number and walk away. Either they'll sell it to someone else for more or they won't. If they don't they'll likely call you back.

Oh I come from a land, from a far away place, where the caravan camels roam. Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face, Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense, it's barbaric, but hey, it's home. When the wind's from the east and the sun's from the west, and the sand in the glass is right. Come on down stop on by, hop a carpet and fly, to another Arabian night.

Fixed that for you.

Aladdin-Screencap-aladdin-1715348-720-480.jpg

Oh I come from a land, from a far away place, where the caravan camels roam. Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face, Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense, it's barbaric, but hey, it's home. When the wind's from the east and the sun's from the west, and the sand in the glass is right. Come on down stop on by, hop a carpet and fly, to another Arabian night.

Fixed that for you.

That's not what my tape of the soundtrack says.

:whistle:

They're better lyrics.

I was obvioulsy talking about Italy, as I cannot have no clue about other countries, and I am sure the majority of teachers take – or strive to take – their job seriously. That goes without saying.

My comment was about the premises of teaching, rather a more philosophical problem than how much each teacher puts good effort in his practice. And this vastly differs across cultures…

The generic comment about technology stands… because I have seen how it has evolved. I am 45 and thus by mere age I have seen it a bit more than you, said without any presumption or assumption. I have been using a computer since 1984 or so…

I still agree with Kav though. Parental support is key. A stupid kid can get through school if they have a parent watching out for them.

So if you had children, would you deny them a computer and a smartphone?

I agree with this too – I never said parents' decisions aren’t the more important thing, obviously.

As far as technology is involved, it’s not technology per-se obviously, but what each case would imply. The internet allows to get in touch with any kind of situation: children would have been accompanied by parents in real life situations, while on the internet they might not be able to do so.

I am speaking mostly of pimary school childrens, not teenagers. An indiscriminate use of the internet leaves them exposed to any kind of wandering, and if a parent is not conscious and following it might be a thing a lot worse than – say – it would have been to let kids out alone in the real world.

Hope this clears up a bit what I was trying to say… ;)

He knows nothing about comics but he remembers seeing wildcats on the shelf and he remembers when Image came out...yeah sure buddy

BOGUS

You're supposed to go OMG! OMG! OMG!

Fixed that for you.

That's not what my tape of the soundtrack says.

:whistle:

They're better lyrics.

Heh... I still have the original CD myself.