• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would never post a topic:

115 posts in this topic

And yeah it blows me away students don't know how to google-or tell time from a clock....

How about this scenario. Let's say someone picks up some comics at a yard sale and really has no idea of their value. Thinks maybe they look old and might be worth a few bucks or just wants to read them because they look interesting. Turns out they are worth thousands of dollars. Now what?

Hey Chris do you see the kids who goofed off all through HS walking away after learning they didnt pass the exit exam and will not graduate sniffling to themselves? I see a lot of that.

I also see a lot of students with F's on the last week of school asking how they can get caught up and get a C....

Yea the only difference in my school system is it occurs the last quarter. All you need in my system is a D in two of the four quarters. Once you have that, you can pass for the year. So we know by the third quarter who is generally going to fail or pass.

So then the guidance department and an assistant principle step in. They start the kid doing a joke they call "Credit Recovery" and Bridge Project (Bridge Project is for kids who don't pass the No Child Left Behind testing). They can both be done in a few weeks and the kids get placed with a sponsor who helps them every step of the way.

In other words, very few kids don't graduate in my school. Will those kids go on to college or strong careers is a different question.

I also see kids who intentionally fail because school provides a safe meal or business for them (i.e. they are drug dealers). I had one student last year who was in out of alternative school and our school. He wasn't in school this year and I mentioned it to another student who was friends with him. He had been arrested. It wasn't surprising after he told me to suck his and told me he hated white teachers while storming out of the room while I had a higher up in the room. It was great when I spoke with his mom and she was baffled since his grandfather was white though.

What if it was a neighbor you despised and he had Action #1 at a yard sale for a quarter?

If you walked into an LCS and they had a hot book priced at guide (which is say 10x less then what it's going for on eBay) are you going to pull the book and say to the owner "Hey this book is going for $200 on eBay, you've got it listed for $20, i'd like to pay the $200" Or are you going to hand him the book and a $20 and say thanks and walk out?

An LCS is completely different. I do think if you operate a retail outlet you should be informed on what you sell. I do see that LCS owners are often the worst at this though. I think if you work at a KIA dealership you should probably know a bit about Honda and Toyota, especially models in direct competition of what you sell. When I sold wireless phones for Cingular I was expected to know Verizon, ATT, Nextel, and Sprint plans and coverage areas by heart. I kept their information in my drawer, and showed them to customers who asked. A comic shop owner will know about comics, but only the comics they like. My LCS owner had never heard of the publisher Fantagraphics. I think that's just poor business practices. That Previews catalog he reads every month, he should read it front to back.

Hey Chris do you see the kids who goofed off all through HS walking away after learning they didnt pass the exit exam and will not graduate sniffling to themselves? I see a lot of that.

I also see a lot of students with F's on the last week of school asking how they can get caught up and get a C....

Yea the only difference in my school system is it occurs the last quarter. All you need in my system is a D in two of the four quarters. Once you have that, you can pass for the year. So we know by the third quarter who is generally going to fail or pass.

So then the guidance department and an assistant principle step in. They start the kid doing a joke they call "Credit Recovery" and Bridge Project (Bridge Project is for kids who don't pass the No Child Left Behind testing). They can both be done in a few weeks and the kids get placed with a sponsor who helps them every step of the way.

In other words, very few kids don't graduate in my school. Will those kids go on to college or strong careers is a different question.

I also see kids who intentionally fail because school provides a safe meal or business for them (i.e. they are drug dealers). I had one student last year who was in out of alternative school and our school. He wasn't in school this year and I mentioned it to another student who was friends with him. He had been arrested. It wasn't surprising after he told me to suck his and told me he hated white teachers while storming out of the room while I had a higher up in the room. It was great when I spoke with his mom and she was baffled since his grandfather was white though.

They don't have to pass the exit exam?

Yeah I've heard 'I hate white people' a lot-along with telling a student to stop doing something and they reply 'is it because I'm black?'

How about this scenario. Let's say someone picks up some comics at a yard sale and really has no idea of their value. Thinks maybe they look old and might be worth a few bucks or just wants to read them because they look interesting. Turns out they are worth thousands of dollars. Now what?
How would they ever find out?

Their roommate goes OMG!

I know people who don't have electricity or water, so I tend to not assume they're masters of eBay and Google.

I am so glad I don't live in your world.

I'm not exaggerating either. Hardly anyone I know has a phone. I don't think anyone I grew up with has a car. In fact, all of my childhood friends except maybe one or two are dead or in prison.

The funniest I heard was some Hispanic girls talking about the removal of snack machines and the new healthy nasty lunches-she said 'that's them white people that do that'

They decide to look it up on ebay. Or someone sees it and tells them. Would it make difference to your answer?

If you walked into an LCS and they had a hot book priced at guide (which is say 10x less then what it's going for on eBay) are you going to pull the book and say to the owner "Hey this book is going for $200 on eBay, you've got it listed for $20, i'd like to pay the $200" Or are you going to hand him the book and a $20 and say thanks and walk out?

Given that the store owner earns his living selling comic books, most would consider him a professional in the field. A layperson expects to be able to walk into the store, and get educated answers about comic books, the same way you expect your mechanic to answer car questions. He should know what his inventory is worth. If he doesn't change his price, that's his problem.

Not directed at Jay specifically, but consider yourself on the other side of the scenario. Grandpa passes away, and leaves you his collection of motor oil cans, tin signs, pushbars, calendars, and other motor oil branded items. That's typical of a collection of that type, and the oil guys know this stuff inside and out, but you don't know jack about it. What are the chances of you pricing it out without leaving too much money on the table, or pricing too high so no one wants it?

I know people who don't have electricity or water, so I tend to not assume they're masters of eBay and Google.

I'm not exaggerating either. Hardly anyone I know has a phone. I don't think anyone I grew up with has a car. In fact, all of my childhood friends except maybe one or two are dead or in prison.

And yet, very quick to absolutely judge an adult who willing purchases an item that is for sale from another willing adult for an agreed upon price.

They decide to look it up on ebay. Or someone sees it and tells them. Would it make difference to your answer?

No. I think as long as you didn't knowingly rip someone off it's all good.

Oh I come from a land, from a far away place, where the caravan camels roam. Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face, it's barbaric, but hey, it's home. When the wind's from the east and the sun's from the west, and the sand in the glass is right. Come on down stop on by, hop a carpet and fly, to another Arabian night.

And yet, very quick to absolutely judge an adult who willing purchases an item that is for sale from another willing adult for an agreed upon price.

I'm also quick to judge people I grew up with doing bad things too.

They don't have to pass the exit exam?

Yeah I've heard 'I hate white people' a lot-along with telling a student to stop doing something and they reply 'is it because I'm black?'

They have the High School Assessments which is the No Child Left Behind national test. They have to pass that test- they take them in sophomore year and over and over again until they pass- or they complete a bridge project. The bridge project is just a hands on version of the test. They get a class inserted in to their schedule if they are not already in HSA prep that allows them to complete bridge as well as an after school mentor to complete it. It is a long process, but really not incredibly difficult. It is just a lot of hoop jumping.