• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age purchase?

17 posts in this topic

Your guess is as good as mine as far as if this will go for less or not. There does not appear to be a shortage of Harvey file copies, but hey..... it's a 9.0!!!

As for Dallas Stephens... well, it's not a true "pedigree," but ok the guy was into HG and could spot a true HG book before the days of slabbed grading. So really, does this "Dallas" tag really ad to the value? Anyone's guess! One thing I've learned in this hobby: anything can go! insane.gif

Your guess is as good as mine as far as if this will go for less or not. There does not appear to be a shortage of Harvey file copies, but hey..... it's a 9.0!!!

As for Dallas Stephens... well, it's not a true "pedigree," but ok the guy was into HG and could spot a true HG book before the days of slabbed grading. So really, does this "Dallas" tag really ad to the value? Anyone's guess! One thing I've learned in this hobby: anything can go! insane.gif

It's all just marketing. Dallas Stephens did nothing more than many here on these boards do: buy high grade books. Note also the description is "Dallas Stephens collection", pedigree is not used. IMHO the tag should not add anything to the book, but some will buy into the hype.

On a side note; I noticed a Stan Lee File Copy on Pedigree Comics site. It is a Doctor Strange # 169, CGC 8.0 for $699.00. Anyone think this book deserves that price? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Link to Doctor Strange

I have a low grade copy of that book, and it's a hoot. Harvey's horror books were lighthearted compared to the competition, but they could still be grisly when they wanted to be.

Somewhere in the lower $200-zone sounds about right to me for this book. $250 tops. It's a very nice book, but there are just way too many HG Harveys around there to justify going any higher, I feel. And that whole "Dallas Stephens" thing is just bunk. That's the biggest non-pedigree going.

doh! Just realized that Milehigh is the seller (makes sense with that whole Dallas Stephens thing). My guess is that the reserve is set too high, probably over 300...or even higher.

I think you'd be surprised. I bid guide on a bunch of his new listings, and all but 1 met the reserve price. Maybe Dallas needs some cash fast? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a low grade copy of that book, and it's a hoot. Harvey's horror books were lighthearted compared to the competition, but they could still be grisly when they wanted to be.

I have one of the file copies but I do not recollect the condition. If memory serves me correctly, my copy would not be any better but probably is comparable. I believe $125-$200 would be fair for a slabbed 9.0.

The fact that it is from the Dallas Stephens collection is irrelevant.

The fact that it is a Harvey File Copy is why it's a pedigree. Unfortunately, as pedigrees go, its not one of the best because of the page quality. But the colors and cover gloss on Harvey File Copies is excellent. thumbsup2.gif

The fact that it is from the Dallas Stephens collection is irrelevant.

The fact that it is a Harvey File Copy is why it's a pedigree. Unfortunately, as pedigrees go, its not one of the best because of the page quality. But the colors and cover gloss on Harvey File Copies is excellent. thumbsup2.gif

I've always had contention with CGC over their use of File Copy to refer to a Warehouse Find. I just see them as two different things.

I've always had contention with CGC over their use of File Copy to refer to a Warehouse Find.

I just see them as two different things.

I believe CGC is just carrying the term over from pre-CGC days. I purchased my file copies in

the early to mid eighties and they were always referred to as file copies. Unlike true pedigrees,

Haveys do not command a premium with the "file copy" annotation. Grade is what really counts.

In the last month, I purchased about thirty Harvey file copies from Heritage and paid guide price.

I paid just pennies over the cost of slabbing for the mid grade books that were marked with the

"file copy" annotation. Here is an example of a file copy marking that goes for less than guide and

closer to the price of the slabbing.

DickTracy48.jpg