• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone collect Wizard Magazine?

34 posts in this topic

I mentioned Toyfare in another thread and it reminded me of their parent company, Wizard.

Did anyone collect these?

I'm also wondering where they got their price guide data since most of their magazines pre-date eBay and any other form of info gathering.

Also, if anyone happens to have issue #17, please PM me.

I chucked most of mine now I wish I still had them for nostalgia factors seein the hot books. The fact that Ghost Rider 1990 was a wall book and that I just bought a run of issue 1-31 for like $30 including a number 1. Seeing how hot Punisher was. Ah the early 90's and then the fall from Grace and I'm not just talking the DD storyline.

I had a bunch but I left them with my ex-wife when we divorced. :devil:

She called to tell me that I forget them but I told her she can keep them.

I mentioned Toyfare in another thread and it reminded me of their parent company, Wizard.

Did anyone collect these?

I'm also wondering where they got their price guide data since most of their magazines pre-date eBay and any other form of info gathering.

Also, if anyone happens to have issue #17, please PM me.

They would call every month or two to ask what was hot, but mostly their prices were pulled out of the air.

I had a collection! Loved the fact that the artist who was being interviewed did the covers.....at least in the early days of the magazine's cycle. Unfortunately, I traded or sold them in the late 90's...... :(

I did keep the first issue though. Purchased it when it was first released and kept it in my long box for years. Got it signed a little while ago...... :cloud9:

SAM_3540.jpg

I had a collection! Loved the fact that the artist who was being interviewed did the covers.....at least in the early days of the magazine's cycle. Unfortunately, I traded or sold them in the late 90's...... :(

I did keep the first issue though. Purchased it when it was first released and kept it in my long box for years. Got it signed a little while ago...... :cloud9:

SAM_3540.jpg

I remember buying this 1st issue when it came out when I was in High School. Bought a lot if the issues after that for several years. This was pre-internet so Wizard, Overstreet, and Comic Marketplace were basically the closest thing there were to comic forums, ebay and comic seller sites back then.

I use to buy it every month, I loved reading it and would read it 4-5 times cover to cover until the next issue came out. Just last summer I was visiting my old LCS (we moved some 11 years ago) I dropped a few hundred dollars on comics and I asked about older wizards. He brought out 50 or so Wizards and 30 old toyfare magazines. He gave them to me for free, I was reading them ever since. They are fun to read, good for a chuckle.

Wizard was very helpful during the 1991-1992 speculation heyday, although they played a large part in the market manipulation & run-up of Valiant.

I'm much more proud of my Comic Values Monthly # 1, which I found as a back issue later on.

I used to read Wizard all the time. Bought it monthly and read the whole thing at least once.

When I moved to Taiwan for three years, I found a place there that carried American magazines. They had it, but priced at 3 x cover, and it was always a month late. I still bought it to keep up I date on the marketplace. :cloud9: