• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for board input...holding books for overseas boardies

32 posts in this topic

Scenario: A board member living in Asia buys something from my sales thread and asks me to hold it for a while. He has a few CGC books coming back and he asks if he can have them sent to me so I can send everything to him in one box. I agree with the condition that my book is paid for up front and we take care of shipping when the time comes.

A few months later, I get a PM from the board member letting me know that one of the books he's waiting for is a sketchcover and the commission isn't done yet, but it should be very soon and it will be sent to CGC right after that. It was longer than I anticipated to hold onto the book I was going to send him, but really no big deal.

It's been well over a year since I heard from this board member last. In fact, it's been over a year since his last post. I recently sent him a PM asking for an update. He very well may get back to me and tell me to ship the book tomorrow, which I'd be happy to do.

I'm looking for board input on how to handle the situation should he not get back to me anytime soon. As it stands, I have the money and the book, so I'm out nothing. What obligations do I have to the buyer? How long must I hold the book for him? Just wondering what others would do.

Wow.

What value are we talking here?

Like $100 slabs or $1000 slabs.

If it's bigger dollar books I would have refused to hold more than 30 days.

Do you have any of the other books yet?

if you still only have just the one I would mail it now since it's paid for.

Assuming he sent others to you, as it was inferred in your post - how many actually arrived?

If it's one or two, then I'd say that after a year, you'd probably enjoy the majority decision that they were yours to do as you wished.

However, if you have 10 - 15 slabs worth $5000, then I personally would feel I needed to find out the status of this chap.

I mean, suppose something awful has happened - those slabs might need to go to his family or something.

I'm sure the guy has just forgotten, and I'm not suggesting you wouldn't have already tried - this is what popped into my head.

2c

Scenario: A board member living in Asia buys something from my sales thread and asks me to hold it for a while. He has a few CGC books coming back and he asks if he can have them sent to me so I can send everything to him in one box. I agree with the condition that my book is paid for up front and we take care of shipping when the time comes.

A few months later, I get a PM from the board member letting me know that one of the books he's waiting for is a sketchcover and the commission isn't done yet, but it should be very soon and it will be sent to CGC right after that. It was longer than I anticipated to hold onto the book I was going to send him, but really no big deal.

It's been well over a year since I heard from this board member last. In fact, it's been over a year since his last post. I recently sent him a PM asking for an update. He very well may get back to me and tell me to ship the book tomorrow, which I'd be happy to do.

I'm looking for board input on how to handle the situation should he not get back to me anytime soon. As it stands, I have the money and the book, so I'm out nothing. What obligations do I have to the buyer? How long must I hold the book for him? Just wondering what others would do.

Since it was paid for you attempt contact and don't hear back I would just tuck the book aside if possible and wait for him to surface.

Assuming he sent others to you, as it was inferred in your post - how many actually arrived?

If it's one or two, then I'd say that after a year, you'd probably enjoy the majority decision that they were yours to do as you wished.

However, if you have 10 - 15 slabs worth $5000, then I personally would feel I needed to find out the status of this chap.

I mean, suppose something awful has happened - those slabs might need to go to his family or something.

I'm sure the guy has just forgotten, and I'm not suggesting you wouldn't have already tried - this is what popped into my head.

2c

If I'm reading correctly, the OP didn't receive the other books. The OP said the guy asked if he could hold the book, and one would take a while because it was sketch commission. Since then. he hasn't heard anything from the buyer. So it sounds more like after the buyer saying it will take a while, there was no further communication. I could be wrong, but this is how I read it.

2c

If I'm reading correctly, the OP didn't receive the other books. The OP said the guy asked if he could hold the book, and one would take a while because it was sketch commission. Since then. he hasn't heard anything from the buyer. So it sounds more like after the buyer saying it will take a while, there was no further communication. I could be wrong, but this is how I read it.

Reading again, yes, I does look like it's the one book - in which case, unless it's very expensive, I guess he should be able to do what he wishes with it after a whole year.

Thanks for clearing that up.

To further elaborate:

I've only got one slab of his...the original one I sold in a sales thread.

The price is about $125...not a huge amount, but not nothing.

No other books have arrived. He asked for my address towards the middle of last year because he seemed to think that books would be arriving at CGC very soon. I gave him my address, but that was over a year ago and I've moved recently. I never got confirmation that they actually had arrived at CGC.

As for the member, he's got less than 300 posts and registered in 2012. He hasn't posted since mid 2013.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll be curious if any of this new info changes anything. To be honest, the only reason this came up recently was the aforementioned move. Getting into a new house has inspired me to streamline my collection and I'm just getting rid of the stuff that doesn't fit my focus, which brought me here. I don't even know if Paypal keeps track of transactions that old. I'd have to look.

I guess he should be able to do what he wishes with it after a whole year.

Andy, sorry but this is completely crazy. Why on earth would the book be OPs to "do with as he wished"?

It's been paid for, and I have to assume he has a mailing address for the buyer from the payment.

So as far as I can see, he has two options:

1) do what lots of people in this thread are suggesting, which is hold the book indefinitely until the buyer finally gets in touch and asks him to send it, along with the other CGC books; or

2) get fed up with holding it and post it now.

Of course, if he takes the second option, the buyer might get annoyed that he has to pay for shipping twice (the second time being whenever the CGC books are finally delivered to OP and have to be sent on), but that's a separate issue.

And don't get me wrong, I can see how it would be annoying to be in the dark about what's going on. But there's no way he is suddenly the owner of the book.

I imagine that if he hasn’t come back or log in for such a time span he might have had problems which prevented him to get back to collecting, or follow collecting.

My general advice, as a person who has constantly books on hold, would be to offer this service or help to board members which you befriended, or at least with whom you have get acquainted a bit with.

Whenever I asked, or I was offered to be helped, it happened because there was an ongoing acquaintance or friendship. I feel comfortable now because I have made friends which know they can trust me 100% and inversely that I can trust them 100%. :)

My specific advice would be the same as Balhaam’s Finest – I would just keep the book aside. Since law differs by country, you should see how the concept of usucaption applies to the USA, if the buyer won’t come back to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usucaption

I don't think Adam should have to hold the book indefinitely. A year is more than fair in my book. What to do with the book I have no idea, but he shouldn't be a storage building for it either.

You should see what your country law says for such things, and then it’s up to you.

He received payment and the book is now the buyer’s property, so while of course there’s room for decision, if the buyer will come and ask for the book, if he sells it, he’ll have to issue a refund.

Keep the book, and hold it for as long as your comfortable. Otherwise sell it and issue a refund to the buyer.

Right, I did not think about it – that since he has the Paypal (?) payment he could always issue a refund and then he’ll be free to eventually resell the book.