• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all your keys for your grail?

97 posts in this topic

To me, a grail is something unattainable due to certain circumstances (financially, rarity, etc.). But it could be had with patience, saving up enough money, finding it, etc because it is something you dream of owning.

Keys are generally things you can purchase that you want and love too, but are not as difficult to acquire compared to a grail.

To me, a grail is something unattainable due to certain circumstances (financially, rarity, etc.). But it could be had with patience, saving up enough money, finding it, etc because it is something you dream of owning.

Keys are generally things you can purchase that you want and love too, but are not as difficult to acquire compared to a grail.

Right.

Key = ASM 14

Grail = AF 15

Key = FF 48

Grail = FF 1

(thumbs u

This could be about right. But then that would make what a person considers to be a "grail" almost entirely dependent on their individual budget, and not necessarily a market consensus.

-J.

Grail to me is OA and due to the price it is something to dream about right now. If the right page became available I would sell my comics and then work at collecting them again. Rinse and repeat.

This could be about right. But then that would make what a person considers to be a "grail" almost entirely dependent on their individual budget, and not necessarily a market consensus.

-J.

Yes. I use the term grail as a personal goal. Keys are commonly accepted.

I would like to know some actual examples of what you guys consider to be "grails" versus "keys".

-J.

"Grail" would be a Tec 27. "Keys" are what you have in your sig line.

Would not a Tec 27 be a "holy grail"? Very few people can or ever will actually own that book in any grade, even if they actually have the money to afford it.

-J.

I'd sell it all just to save space. I'm actually in the process of doing that...

I'd sell it all just to save space. I'm actually in the process of doing that...

Working on that myself. Amazing how many books I picked up just for the fun of it.

Really we all use the term "Holy Grail" incorrectly, since it is more of a mythical object. Something believed to exist, with only 1 copy, that nobody has ever been able to find. So if we are being literal, perhaps a Grail should be a one of a kind object not known to exist.

Anyone know if the AF 15 cover art is out there somewhere?

If you want to call my house a 'grail', then yes - about 9 months ago I sold all my keys for my 'grail'.

The best investment worth having besides family. Congratulations.

I've got two and the longer I have them, the better renting sounds. :D

:sick: No kidding. I am not a big "homeowner" fan. Buying multiple copies of X-Force #1 in 9.4 is a better financial investment than a house - but, my wife likes having a place to call home, so I'll keep throwing my paycheck at it to keep her happy. Ahhh, true love.

Is it weird NOT to have any grails?

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are still a few "big" keys I need.... but they are achievable and (I'm hoping) only a matter of time. Mid-grades of FF #1, B&B #28 and ST #110 namely.

Then there are unachievable "grails" like Detective #27 and Action #1 which I've basically resigned to the fact I will never own.

So really, a few big books I'll eventually own and a few books I will never touch. Don't really see any grail in there?

Having Det #27 or Action #1 would be nice, but I really have no interest in either of them. So I wouldn't keep them. If I had them I would probably trade them for something I would really like.

I don't think it's weird not to have a grail. I buy what I like even if it's another ASM 14, IM 55, or X-men 12. :)

I was sitting here thinking, "I don't think I have a grail." It then occurred to me that if I DID have one, it would be apparent. Since it isn't, I don't have one.