• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all your keys for your grail?

97 posts in this topic

To me, a grail is something unattainable due to certain circumstances (financially, rarity, etc.). But it could be had with patience, saving up enough money, finding it, etc because it is something you dream of owning.

Keys are generally things you can purchase that you want and love too, but are not as difficult to acquire compared to a grail.

(thumbs u

And yes, I'd probably sell common "keys" to obtain a grail. However, the ability to replace it needs to be considered. I wouldn't call The Crow #1 9.8 a "grail", but it's a key I'll probably never sell since it's not an easily replaceable book.

I'd sell it all just to save space. I'm actually in the process of doing that...

Working on that myself. Amazing how many books I picked up just for the fun of it.

Was out of work for months and had to sell 70% of my collection around 1,100 books and glad i did. I have been saying for years I need to make room and sell what I dont really want. Being unemployed forced me to and was one of the best things I have ever did. From boxes and boxes to one box neatly put away.

No, in fact I'd rather have all the parts then just the grail book. Being invested in the story for these characters, its hard to enjoy that with just an origin book and I think there is an equal amount of pride in being able to have complete history. (okay so comics never end, but lets say a characters complete gold/silver/bronze history) I think saving up and being able to afford that massive book would be far more rewarding to crown a run then selling everything else being left with only one. People say quality over quantity, and while that Grail may have the highest quality singularly, I guess I don't see it as the best quality when compared to everything as a whole and not on an individual basis.

My grails are a Cap #1 or Tec #27.

I don't think I'd ever sell my keys to purchase one though. As Roy mentioned, I can't justify having that much personal money in a comic book. Ironically, I can somehow justify having that much personal money in 50 books though... (shrug)

Really we all use the term "Holy Grail" incorrectly, since it is more of a mythical object. Something believed to exist, with only 1 copy, that nobody has ever been able to find. So if we are being literal, perhaps a Grail should be a one of a kind object not known to exist.

Anyone know if the AF 15 cover art is out there somewhere?

IIRC, the AF15 cover location isn't known, but the interiors were 'donated' to the Library of Congress. So the AF15 meets your definition of Holy Grail. Actually, a lot of Golden Age & early Silver Age hero OA isn't accounted for.

Really we all use the term "Holy Grail" incorrectly, since it is more of a mythical object. Something believed to exist, with only 1 copy, that nobody has ever been able to find. So if we are being literal, perhaps a Grail should be a one of a kind object not known to exist.

IIRC, the AF15 cover location isn't known, but the interiors were 'donated' to the Library of Congress. So the AF15 meets your definition of Holy Grail. Actually, a lot of Golden Age & early Silver Age hero OA isn't accounted for.

Yes, the library of congress owning those beauties really bums me out. :cry:

I don't think I'd ever sell my keys to purchase one though. As Roy mentioned, I can't justify having that much personal money in a comic book. Ironically, I can somehow justify having that much personal money in 50 books though... (shrug)

I know, isn't it weird how that works? lol

No biggie, just 'National Treasure' that stuff.

Absolutely bang on.

If I owned a Detective #27 I probably couldn't justify it for very long. I would be seeing dollar signs and think "you know what I can do with XXX amount of money? You know how many keys I can buy?"

Then, I'd sell the Detective and buy 50 nice keys....

Then I'd think "... it was sooo cool owning a Detective #27. I want one again. I feel like I lost something. Maybe I'll sell the 50 keys and buy one!"

I guess come to think of it, I'm actually MORE happy without one otherwise this vicious circle would be playing out in my head.

No biggie, just 'National Treasure' that stuff.

I really shouldn't have given away my plan...

But seriously, if the government ever gets overthrown, you know where I'll be.

My grail is all the Kirby FF's it's not one book but an artists entire contribution to a book

(yep-no Woodgod joke)

I'd also like Curt Swan's first Superman book #51